how to use 1920*1080 res in Trisquel in Vmware workstation ?

17 réponses [Dernière contribution]
Dark Orange
A rejoint: 03/28/2014

how to use 1920*1080 res in Trisquel in Vmware workstation ?

and is there is any way to install vmware-ubuntu-tool inside Trisquel
without any issue ?

Pièce jointeTaille
Today.JPG55.1 Ko
jxself
A rejoint: 09/13/2010

Um; isn't this proprietary? Sorry, but this goes against the Trisquel Community Guidelines:
https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/trisquel-community-guidelines

Dark Orange

but dude please

I have 2+ machines
I used to have Trisquel on my gaming windows machine in vmware

kindly help me dude

alguien
A rejoint: 03/27/2014

Dark Orange, are you aware of the free virtualisation software VirtualBox? We will not provide support for proprietary stuff, only free stuff.

Dark Orange

ok dude on in Alguien

installing Trisquel in Virtual
if any problem found I will report here

lembas
A rejoint: 05/13/2010

Virtualbox might not be the best solution since it has turned non-free in the latest version. (Requires a non-free compiler.) It will not be included in Trisquel 7, so perhaps KVM or XEN on something else would be better.

alguien
A rejoint: 03/27/2014

VB is nonfree now... Wow! What a disappointment. :(

Legimet
A rejoint: 12/10/2013

VB itself isn't nonfree. It just requires a nonfree compiler for the BIOS. Now, if there's a way to "forward-port" the old BIOS that compiles with a free compiler, it could get included in Trisquel.

jxself
A rejoint: 09/13/2010

"VB itself isn't nonfree."

Is a program that needs non-free software really free? Either way, it is not suitable for inclusion in Trisquel nor for recommending to people because it is not possible to fully use the software in freedom, since it presupposes the installation and use of non-free software in order to compile it from scratch.

Dark Orange

see in VirtualBox

same issue and even worst

any solution ?

woww.JPG
greg
A rejoint: 03/24/2014

For me (and I'm kinda new to Trisquel) I made sure I had the following installed:

$ dpkg -l | grep virtualbox
ii virtualbox-guest-dkms 4.1.12-dfsg-2ubuntu0.5+6.0trisquel1 x86 virtualization solution - guest addition module source for dkms
ii virtualbox-guest-utils 4.1.12-dfsg-2ubuntu0.5+6.0trisquel1 x86 virtualization solution - non-X11 guest utilities
ii virtualbox-guest-x11 4.1.12-dfsg-2ubuntu0.5+6.0trisquel1 x86 virtualization solution - X11 guest utilities

You should be able to install those with:

$ sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-guest-utils virtualbox-guest-x11

As I recall (and my memory *is* horrible) things just worked after that.

In this case I'm using Trisquel 6.0.1 inside VirtualBox 4.3.10 under Windows 8.1 (don't judge please ;)

Legimet

Well, you have to reboot the virtual machine after that, and then it should work.

lembas
A rejoint: 05/13/2010

I believe updating the Linux-libre kernel might help. Probably the easiest way to do so is via http://jxself.org/linux-libre/

Dark Orange

not working
I am not so geeky in Gnu/Linux

virtualbox res stuckto 1024*
and Vmware stuck to 1684*

Vmware is good for my gaming Rig

Jodiendo
A rejoint: 01/09/2013

My Ge-force 8400GS 1GB PCI Express 2.0 Video Card for GNU/Linux works on my Trisquel GNU/LINUX desktop PC and my Samsung 32inch Smart LED TV.

OK, guys I do connect my VGA cable from my 1-5 desktop video card to my 32inch Samsung smart LED TV and the full 32inch resolution that I'm using is 1920 pretty much is gorgeous and crispy.

I'm using the video card that THINK PENGUIN is selling. It works fine for me. No jitters, no color fades and no bad pixels. I love the full cinema effect of a full 32inch TV display.

I believe, If you want better performance then add a better video card. The one I got does its job without issues.

Yes, I do gaming and again works.
I used to use the I-5 open GL features in full, before attaching the video card. Still it worked nicely.

basically IS PLUG AND PLAY.

leny2010

I am a member!

I am a translator!

A rejoint: 09/15/2011

IIRC VirtualBox Guest Additions which you will need to use are non-free so don't. The generic free software way to achieve the same result with any GNU/Linux virtual machine would be over the virtual network using one of a) VNC b) enabling XDMCP in the greeter (GDM in Trisquel's case) and running a native Xnest instance c) (the only really secure one) connecting with SSH and using its port forwarding to connect an native Xnest instance again. You lose 3D acceleration for the guest's display with all three methods.

There's plenty on the web on how to do this with a GNU/Linux guest on a GNU/Linux host so a search would seem to be in order. However, this 'W$ game machine' you've got is just begging to have Trisquel or Parabola as its only operating system so you can contribute to some free software game development projects by testing them.

Legimet

"VirtualBox Guest Additions which you will need to use are non-free so don't."

Not if you're on 6.0 and you install the packages in the repos, but I wouldn't use it anyway.

leny2010

I am a member!

I am a translator!

A rejoint: 09/15/2011

legimet wrote:
> "VirtualBox Guest Additions which you will need to use are non-free
> so
> don't."
>
> Not if you're on 6.0 and you install the packages in the repos, but
> I
> wouldn't use it anyway.