Is there a build of Trisquel Mini 8 that is under 700 MB and can fit on a CD?

6 Antworten [Letzter Beitrag]
gparyani
Beigetreten: 08/05/2020

I'm trying to install Trisquel Mini 8.0 onto a system from 1999, whose optical drive is only a CD drive and not a DVD drive, and has no way of booting from USB (not that that matters since it only supports USB 1.1).

I noticed that the latest build of Trisquel Mini is 950 MB, and therefore can't fit on a 700 MB recordable CD and so must be burned onto a DVD instead. Unfortunately, this means that I cannot install Trisquel Mini onto that system. (The system otherwise meets the system requirements for Trisquel Mini.)

I thought of using the Net Install image, as that can fit onto a CD with ample room to spare, but the machine doesn't (yet) have a means of connecting to the Internet. I also thought of installing the previous Trisquel Mini 7.0, whose image is small enough to fit onto a CD, and then upgrading, but I can't upgrade the system without Internet access and I'd prefer a fresh install of 8.0 so I don't have to do as much configuration.

Is there an image of Trisquel Mini 8.0 that has some non-essential packages removed, so that the image is under 700 MB? If not, can someone please make one? (As an example, I don't need Spanish language support, so that can be removed.)

loldier
Beigetreten: 02/17/2016
chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 07/07/2017

Did you read the OP?

Malsasa
Beigetreten: 12/01/2016

How about detaching the hard disk drive off it and install Trisquel on
other computer and finally attach the hard disk back again?

gparyani
Beigetreten: 08/05/2020

It would be hard to configure device drivers, as they'd be configured for the source (donor) computer rather than for the destination computer. I think this would cause more configuration issues than it's worth.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 07/24/2010

I do not think so. What "device drivers" will you have to configure? Can't that be done after you bring back the hard drive?

Another way would be:

1. Burn a NetInstall ISO such as http://jenkins.trisquel.info/makeiso-etiona/iso/trisquel-netinst_9.0_i686.iso (for Trisquel 9) on a CD and download http://archive.trisquel.info/trisquel/pool/main/a/apt-offline/apt-offline_1.8.1_all.deb (again, for Trisquel 9);
  2. Bring all that to the offline computer;
  3. Install the NetInstall and 'sudo dpkg -i' apt-offline;
  4. Use apt-offline as explained in https://debian-administration.org/article/648/Offline_Package_Management_for_APT
nadebula.1984
Beigetreten: 05/01/2018

I had a 20th-century legacy notebook that was similar with your computer. It had only CD-ROM drive and no NIC, though I purchased an Atheros-based PCMCIA wireless NIC much later. The system installation I used was Debian Installer's Xfce CD version (not Debian Live, but the binary installer). I could have Xfce desktop environment completely offline. I didn't enable contrib or non-free repository so the installation was free/libre.

However, there are some other workarounds for you. For example, you can try to find a USB NIC (ath9k-htc or wired), or remove the hard disk from your chassis and install the operating system on another computer using a USB-to-IDE converter.