Trisquel or Debian

7 Antworten [Letzter Beitrag]
Alice Wilton
Beigetreten: 03/17/2023

Hi all! What are the advantages of using Trisquel over Debian without non-free repos?

prospero
Beigetreten: 05/20/2022

The Troll Lounge, mostly.

Also, using a 100% libre operating system rather than not: https://trisquel.info/en/forum/debian-votes-include-non-free-firmware-installer.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 07/24/2010

First of all: welcome!

Trisquel's base is Ubuntu, which modifies many packages in Debian, and the Trisquel project further modifies more packages, often to remove recommendations of proprietary software but also to enhance privacy. I think in particular of Abrowser and Icedove, which are Trisquel's rebranded Firefox and Thunderbird. See https://gitlab.trisquel.org/trisquel/package-helpers/-/tree/aramo/helpers for all the so-called "package helpers" that apply those modifications.

After the already-discussed alteration of Debian's social contract, to have Debian's ISO load and install non-free firmware by default, that contract moves further away from Trisquel's community guidelines. Here, in this forum, in the documentation, on IRC, ..., you will only find free software solutions to your problems. Unlike in Debian's community.

Alice Wilton
Beigetreten: 03/17/2023

I am moving away from Ubuntu. Enhanced privacy in Trisquel sounds tempting, I'll take it into consideration. There is so much to attend to...

Malsasa
Beigetreten: 12/01/2016

To all friends who want a fully free software system like Trisquel but
even closer to Debian, you can consider Gnuinos
https://www.gnuinos.org.

"Welcome to the website of gnuinos, a ready-to-use operating system
that aims to be entirely free as in freedom. This means that we reject
all the nonfree stuff, whether software, manuals or documentation. "
-Gnuinos Front Page-

It is based on Devuan which in turn is based on Debian. It runs with
the same software freedom spirit as Trisquel and other certified free
distros. Today, it has not been yet certified by the FSF to be a free
distro but by quick observation it certainly is a free distro like
Trisquel. (I also would like to hear Trisquel Community's opinion
about this.)

Sincerely yours,

Malsasa

sid
sid
Beigetreten: 02/09/2022

Alice, one difference between Debian and Trisquel which you might see if your Wifi adapter does'nt support free firmware is that Debian will happily load the non-free firmware and your Wifi will work fine but Trisquel obviously will not run the non-free firmware (as mentioned by others here) so if this happens to you then you would have to either replace the Wifi adapter with a free one or get a free Wifi dongle.

Malsasa, nice to see new additions in the libre OS family, I am sure gnuinos will occupy an important place as a stable deb based systemd-free OS.

prospero
Beigetreten: 05/20/2022

Yes, Debian loads non-free blobs like a charm. This is why it is not a "libre" OS any more, and this is why its contract had to be modified. That is not going to be made less of a fact by the use of enchanted words like "happily". Many people are still "happily" using fully proprietary systems, because they have no idea about software freedom. The Debian people, however, have probably received detailed information about it at this point.

Gnuinos, on the other hand, like Trisquel, does not load any non-free stuff at all. That is why we call them "fully free operating systems". I understand that some may have difficulties admitting that their actual choices may not reflect their alleged priorities, but that is not an excuse to mislead users.

Malsasa
Beigetreten: 12/01/2016

Hi Sidney, yes it is very nice! I plan to try Gnuinos too, if I could,
aside from the latest hot Trisquel 11.

Sincerely yours,

Malsasa