What about parabola?

13 Antworten [Letzter Beitrag]
vita_cell
Beigetreten: 07/19/2015

Hi, frequently I have problems with packages, I must to stop compiling the most recent software. Updating or replace some important system package it is real pain, for example libstdc++6. Yes, I think that you can update it, but it removes almost everything. The bad, is that after doing that, you must install another 1-10 updated deps, it is painful. All that makes you not able to run or compile the latest version of your needed software.

But Arch Linux, gets the newest packages in his repository almost instantly. So, if I run Parabola, will I run it with latest packages?

B50D
Beigetreten: 05/30/2015

I like it

vita_cell

I remember, when I installed Arch,manually, and another time I did it with automated script, which make the install much easier. I never wanted to use Arch or Arch based distro, I need synaptic.

I have a lot of problems with autdated packages, I need the newer, for compile newer programs.

pizzaiolo
Beigetreten: 03/12/2015

Well, you can use PackageKit to manage your packages. But generally you can always check packages at https://www.parabola.nu/packages/

Also, Parabola offers a graphic installation ISO to make it easier for newcomers.

davidnotcoulthard (nicht überprüft)
davidnotcoulthard

Its packages are new enough to work as well with AUR packages as Manjaro does (never tried vanilla Arch) - I'm guessing it's about as up-to-date as Arch.

JadedCtrl
Beigetreten: 08/11/2014

Yea, Parabola has the latest packages-- it's bleeding edge.
It's light-years ahead of Trisquel in terms of package versions.
It's a great distro over-all. :)

ADFENO
Beigetreten: 12/31/2012

Also, please consider contributing to Guix and/or GuixSD. This is only a recommendation, since Guix tries to be in the middle of "do it yourself" distributions, and a highly dependency-based distributions.

Besides, Guix empowers the users, by letting them decide if they want to get the builds/substitutes from the Guix servers, or get only the source from there and build them (which is done automatically via script, and which is also done automatically when there's no substitute in the servers), and lets the user host a Guix build/substitute server/repository; and Guix tries to separate the execution of different "tasks" on different environments (although the same packages are used across environments, the user can keep older versions of them and use these different versions of these with different tasks running at the same time).

Users are also allowed to set default versions to use for each package. This, together with some other features that just forgot about, create the ability to restore the system state/generation or even to manage the existing generations. That is, I could make a package upgrade (so setting this state as the current one), dislike the outcome, and revert to any of the existing recorded generations, and afterwards I can decide whether I want to remove that "upgraded" generation, or leave it there for later use.

suitsmeveryfine
Beigetreten: 08/15/2014

Yes, I completely agree that it empowers the users. I've now migrated to Guix SD on two of my computers. It's still beta so things sometimes break and it also lacks many packages that are available in Trisquel for example. Still, I find it a pure joy to use and the community is awesome. The project is moving forward very quickly and there are many tasks that need to be done, like packaging new software and testing the system on new hardware, so this is a very good time to join the community and contribute.

SteveGeemaggio
Beigetreten: 01/06/2013

Hello,

Well everything to do with Parabola seems to be down today for some reason. Hopefully they will be back in action soon. Anyone know what the story is?

Steve

pizzaiolo
Beigetreten: 03/12/2015

It's just a server outage. It should be back on in a while. If you want more info, hop into #parabola on freenode.net :)

SteveGeemaggio
Beigetreten: 01/06/2013

Thank you very much @pizzaiolo.

It seems to be back in action now. Good to know that there's a place I can go to for news on Parabola.

Steve

vita_cell

Does Parabola has a GUIded/graphical newbie user friendly install like Trisquel? sure? I don't like standart Arch non-graphical guided install.

gaitapi
Beigetreten: 08/12/2012

In my experience, it is easiest to install archbang and then migrate to parabola. In 30 minutes you have another 100% free distribution.
----> https://wiki.parabola.nu/Migration

suitsmeveryfine
Beigetreten: 08/15/2014

It wouldn't take any longer with the Parabola MATE installer in my experience. By the way, installing MATE itself is optional and the last step of the graphical installer.