Who of this community honestly runs Trisquel GNU/Linux?

106 Antworten [Letzter Beitrag]
SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 10/31/2014

d.d.ddd.debiannino?! :P

Legimet
Beigetreten: 12/10/2013

I don't.

Vanecek
Beigetreten: 01/18/2015

I am running on all my Thinkpads Trisquel 7, two of them are librebooted. I like the distro and it's supporters very much. Every question as an average joe user was answered. I hope that the distro will have a future. When i tried Uruk OS as a live system and everything runs perfectly in me the question came up, why don't the guys from Uruk and Ruben are working together to give this wonderful distro a future.

Once again, i will use Trisquel 7 as long as it is mantained.

tomlukeywood
Beigetreten: 12/05/2014

I run Trisquel 7 on my main computer

SalmanMohammadi
Beigetreten: 02/23/2012

I don't.

User0
Beigetreten: 09/20/2017

I use trisquel in a thinkpad x200.
it is perfect.

ao
ao
Beigetreten: 07/20/2017

I do.

pfm
pfm
Beigetreten: 02/27/2017

I run it as my main distro on both my laptops and also as my recording studio distro with kxstudio repos.

JDMac
Beigetreten: 09/20/2017

I do run Trisquel 7 (32-bit) on a Lenovo x60 tablet with Libreboot installed. Otherwise, I use macOS on two machines, and Ubuntu MATE on one.

I really want to see Trisquel 8 coming as soon as it can be managed. I really like the look and feel of Debian 9.1 but I'd prefer to stay libre on the x60. Will Trisquel 8 have Linux kernel 4.10 or newer?

Mangy Dog

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 03/15/2015

-- Debian 9.1 Stretch Xfce, Lxde, Openbox, Jwm (main)*

-- Uruk GNU/Linux 2.0 Mate dual boot Trisquel 7 Lxde, Xfce, Openbox, Jwm, (secondary)
-- ConnochaetOS 14.2 Icewm (spare HD)
-- gNewSense 4 Ucclia Gnome fallback, Lxde, Openbox, Jwm, Awesome (Spare HD)

CitoplasmaX
Beigetreten: 11/24/2016

I didn't know ConnochaetOS. Does it use a DE or a WM by default?

Mangy Dog

I am a member!

I am a translator!

You can choose when installing (Slackware/Salix Installer)
The 14.2 is less user friendly than 14.1 (no Sourcery) quite some missing packages.Works well on old hardware.
https://connochaetos.org/wiki/home

CitoplasmaX

I just have been seeing. I have downloaded ISO file to install it in the future.

Mangy Dog

I am a member!

I am a translator!

CitoplasmaX

It's so beatiful.

CitoplasmaX

For 3 years and for old computers, i had been using SliTaz (run on 50 mb of ram) that has Linux-Libre on his repository.

Mangy Dog

I am a member!

I am a translator!

that has Linux-Libre on his repository.
Does it ? interesting ..
Thanks ;-)

CitoplasmaX

http://pkgs.slitaz.org/?package=linux-libre

I must to add that kernels on slitaz are not upgraded to allow run SliTaz on old computers.

HuangLao
Beigetreten: 01/19/2014

Trisquel 7 mini on wifes laptop, Slackware/SalixOS on Desktop, Debian 9 on other pc.

IrishUSA
Beigetreten: 12/03/2016

What browser does she use on Mini? The default? How's her experience on that?

I've got a Pentium-age old laptop I'm considering giving away to my wife's mother.

HuangLao
Beigetreten: 01/19/2014

she uses the standard browser (abrowser), and usually has lots of tabs open, she loves her tabs... no problems, temp. usually stays in the 55C range, sometimes goes to 60, not too bad. it suits her needs which is mainly web surfing, online research, online videos etc.....

PS: her laptop is 10 years old, maybe older....Its an old Gateway.

IrishUSA

I don't. I left the Apple ecosystem because I was fed up with my large library of paid-for apps (especially games) being made incompatible by Apple's OS updates. The most egregious example of this was the abandonment of Rosetta which left many PowerPC-specific OSX apps unusable; there was no excuse for this since constant advancements in storage and processing speed made the already-imperceptible burden of Rosetta progressively smaller over time. It really brought home to me how powerless I was in an unfree system. I was tempted right then and there to go to "Linux" but instead I used the Google ecosystem to exit Apple, jumping over to a ChromeBook, then to a PC running Chromixium, later called Cub Linux (Ubuntu-based distros that mimic the ChromeOS GUI while still offering standard "Linux" app compatibility and thus Linux (or Windows via PlayOnLinux) versions of my old Mac games).

Partly because I've woken up about the egregiousness of Google as well, and also because Cub Linux is no longer supported (although I'm updating it manually in the Terminal) I'm now looking to switch distros again and leave the Google ecosystem as well, including finding a new trustworthy email provider. My laptop can't run Trisquel in freedom (the usual Wifi issue). If it were a big desktop replacement style laptop, then an external dongle would be no big deal, but since it's an Ultrabook, a dongle is a much bigger portion of its size in relative terms - I remember the hassles of running off a USB stick. I'm not sure about how well Trisquel can do video acceleration on my hardware. I might still go to Trisquel next anyway and I'm still very supportive of the cause of full-stack, full-freedom computing. If I don't go to Trisquel as my very next step, I intend to do so in the step after - probably with new and different hardware.

I put my wife on Linux Lite, and while she's anti Google and gets the privacy aspect, she's not as on board on the freedom issue. She's already frustrated with minor glitches like the trackpad, suspend not working, and less than seamless CD/DVD compatibility; I'm not going to throw her into the deep end of Trisquel just yet, especially since she needs access to the Googleverse for work purposes. I'm working on getting her off of Apple email and calendaring as well (a major struggle) plus shifting to Firefox for her personal browsing. Baby steps..

ivanB1975
Beigetreten: 08/29/2017

Since yesterday night I run Trisquel 8. Apart the installation problems it runs smoothly. All works so far. I noticed little things that I can observe and in case open bug reports. But it seems pretty usable.

Mangy Dog

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Forgot to mention in my first post of this topic that i have a wonderfull lightweight operating system called Librepup (Puppy-Libre) based on Trisquel 7 on a USB stick.Thanks to the peers community it is still available for download if one folows the links here :
https://trisquel.info/en/forum/share-your-desktop-4#comment-112335

Gnu
Gnu
Beigetreten: 03/08/2012

>Who of this community honestly runs Trisquel GNU/Linux?

I do! (home and office)

linuxbookpro
Beigetreten: 03/18/2012

I run it on my 2010 Toshiba Netbook along with a wifi dongle purchased from Think Penguin.

I have Peppermint 8 on my other two systems.

dshesq
Beigetreten: 09/28/2017

Trisquel GNU/Linux x64 running on:
Macbook, Model Number A1181
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500 GB (EMT02B6Q)
No sound driver is found but for high quality sound, use a Schiit Fulla USB Dongle DAC/Amp (the newer headphone amp/dacs should also work.) http://www.schiit.com/products/wyrd

The Macbook has an Intel 945GM Graphics Driver, 1.2GiB Memory, Intel Core 2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00 GHz x2. Trisquel was installed on the Macbook is to use a PC running linux and create a usb thumb drive ISO with GNOME Disks containing the Trisquel ISO, then boot to the thumb drive and use an HDD Doc with the SSD drive and install Trisquel on that. Then put the SSD drive into the Macbook. Use a regular mouse. Also running on a Toshiba NB205. Running Debian on most of my servers and Fedora 25 on my desktop.

xdknight
Beigetreten: 05/31/2017

I would like to run it. But I cannot find working hardware. Everytime something doesn't work, wifi, touchpage, sound etc. So that laptops like offer Thinkpenguin, Technoetics old as hell. Why I need computer where I cannot do anything? Video Card INTEL GMA 4500, insn't adequate in 2017. Even you cannot watch movie, or play even libre-game. This computers are good when you open vim start writing in pure C some kernel Modules.
When will be on sale some adequate computers with adequate libre-hardware I will use Trisquel.

Time4Tea
Beigetreten: 07/16/2017

I'm currently using Trisquel 7 (with Libreboot) on a Macbook 2,1 that I bought off of Ebay and it works great. Trackpad, sound, wifi all work great. The only thing that doesn't work is the integral webcam, which I don't really need anyway. It can play videos, YouTube, handle web browsing just fine. I don't know about the higher-end 3D libre games. I've tried Super Tux Kart (which is very fun) and it kinda works (although there seem to be some issues with the controls). I haven't tried 0AD or any of the 3D FPS games, but if I do I'll let you know how they run.

Bear in mind though that many recent mid-low level non-free laptops can't really handle modern 3D games either.

IrishUSA

Congratulations.

Quoting myself from a thread several months ago, here's some ideas for rebranding 2,1s that I'm kicking around to use for selling them on eBay:

You can put a decal on the lid with the Trisquel logo on it for the Apple logo light to shine through.

First, download the Trisquel logo from here https://trisquel.info/files/trisquel.svg

Second, go to this page for a custom laptop skin maker that matches the MacBook's size. (I used a generic template rather than a MacBook one so as to not have the cutout for the Apple logo, since we want to cover the Apple logo up.)

http://www.skinit.com/create-your-own/custom-skins/laptop/generic/custom-design-generic-13in-12-803in-w-x-8-996in-h-laptop-skin

Third, either 1) click the "Upload" icon on the left side of the screen, navigate to the Trisquel logo you downloaded, and upload the logo into the custom skin designer, or 2) click on the "Link" icon on the left side of the screen and paste in the Trisquel logo address from the first step above.

Fourth, since the Trisquel logo that appears will be too big right now, click the "Scale -" icon at the bottom of the web page (you may need to scroll down to reveal it) enough times to get the logo down to a normal size. The default background color should be white, so you should be already set there.

Now you're ready to complete the process and order the skin.

And there's more you can do too.

To cover up the word "MacBook" on the bezel under the screen, I'd recommend putting one of the Trisquel logos that has the name of the distro beside it
https://trisquel.info/files/logo.svg
https://trisquel.info/files/logo_big.png?
onto an SD card or USB stick, then print it out in a small size on photo paper or card stock at a photo place (unless you have a photo printer at home).

Then carefully glue it over the word "MacBook".

Add a Trisquel case badge from here
https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/powered-trisquel-aluminium-case-badge

Cover the iSight camera lens which can't work in freedom
https://www.stickertalk.com/product/53x-white-camera-dots-webcam-lens-and-led-light-cover-privacy-sticker/

And now you're silently, attractively, and proudly advertising Trisquel and freedom instead of giving your endorsement to Apple's lockin policies that have made it the richest company in the world at the expense of user freedom.

IrishUSA

ThinkPenguin doesn't offer old machines. They offer current hardware. The price you pay for that is you use the stock BIOS instead of LibreBoot, but if you're willing to do that, you can take advantage of modern CPUs and video cards.

akito
Beigetreten: 05/10/2017

I have used trisquel 7 for a period of 7 months (on Asus 1015PX) when my Main PC is broken, but due to a a *raspberry pi* microsd crash I have made it boot to a hdd in which trisquel resides so now I am using debian live (customized version) on a flash drive, I do miss trisquel though.

Ronmamita
Beigetreten: 08/13/2017

Trisquel 7 is now my only O.S.

I recently converted my Windows 7 PC to Trisquel 7 and purchased Libiquity’s Taurinus X200 Laptop running Trisquel 7.
https://trisquel.info/en/forum/i-finally-did-it-%E2%80%93-i-evicted-microsoft

I do not have any dual boots or virtual box, as I attempt to go cold turkey after evicting Microsuck's operating system.

I find this a challenging learning experience - hopefully future devices will be liberated and more user friendly.

Takumi13
Beigetreten: 07/03/2016

I use mainly Trisquel. One old laptop runs Trisquel, and the new one, that my wife use mostly runs Xubuntu. I would like to say that I am not a purist of Trisquel... But free software concept is a good one but not real as we see.

CitoplasmaX

> But free software concept is a good one but not real as we see.

Why?

Takumi13
Beigetreten: 07/03/2016

> Why?

It's in front of your very eyes! Think for a second...
The majority of the comments use another SO, for this or that. Nothing is free, it's just a maniqueist concept, a good ideal, but unfortunately not real and practical one. This is my opinion, I had spend too much time defending it, so I will not enter in any more discussions. But I think I am free to express it.

CitoplasmaX

It is real. In other concepts you can qualify as free something that you have done yourself. Make an operating system and now you have something free (as in freedom).

GNUbahn
Beigetreten: 02/18/2016

I use Trisquel only on my own computers. They are all flashed with libreboot (MacBook2,1, x200, T400s, T60 + a T500 for sale).

My work computer is a Lenovo x260. I run Mint on it since I need blobs to make it work. I am considering though, to install Trisquel and just get hold of the necessary binaries. At this point only lack of time is stopping me from trying.

When I get more time I also want to try Parabola, but just out of curiosity and eagerness to learn.

I have tried Flidas but in the end there were essential functions missing, so I am only using Belenos now. And I'll stick happily to that until Flidas is ready.

ylevental

I am a member!

Beigetreten: 09/30/2017
megurineturilli
Beigetreten: 01/10/2012

I was using Parabola only for nearly one year, but now I have a Trisquel/Parabola dual boot on my system. After Libreboot left GNU I did not wan't to use Trisquel anymore for some years.

I normally use Parabola, for for some tasks such as building Libreboot or LibreCMC I use Trisquel. One Python script that I wrote only works on Trisquel, because MeCab is not included in Parabola yet.

After the last GNU/Hackers meeting I decided that I want to become a GUIX hacker, therefore I will probably also install GuixSD, but I will continue to use Trisquel as it is one of most usable GNU/Linux distros.

Zem Mattress
Beigetreten: 05/08/2014

Trisquel 7 on an old HP laptop.

It is my main computer.

Someone gave me an old Mac desktop I use for skype calls with friends, and to watch Amazon movies sometimes.

IrishUSA

No need to use MacOS to do Skype or Amazon. Another GNU/Linux distro will do fine - not as free as a truly free OS, but freer than OSX. If you like the Mac look and feel, try Ubuntu MATE or PCLinuxOS MATE and use the built in MATE Tweak tool to switch to the Cupertino look.

Of course the upcoming Trisquel 8 will also use the MATE desktop, but it won't support Skype or DRM'd content like Amazon.

Megver83
Beigetreten: 12/21/2015

Well, I always install Parabola (with KDE) where I can \o/

p1trson
Beigetreten: 10/07/2017

xxx@pc:~$ cat /etc/*release | grep DESCRIPTION
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Trisquel GNU/Linux 7.0, Belenos"

Waiting for final release of Trisquel 8, since I don't have time to try the alpha/beta ..

Once I installed Parabola in VirtualBox, but I consider trisquel community better :)

Arc
Arc
Beigetreten: 08/19/2017

I have a lot of laptops, the distro I can get working easiest and quickest for me is Parabola. Trisquel 7 is kind of old for me but I put it on laptops that I will not be constantly using. I haven't tried Trisquel 8 yet. On a number of laptops I use Void because of its simple init. I also use Slackware on a few other computers.

Fall66
Beigetreten: 10/15/2017

I run Trisquel 7. (On a non-librebooted laptop...)

strypey
Beigetreten: 05/14/2015

I just put a new SSD in my netbook and tried both Trisquel 7 and Uruk 2.0 (beta), which both run ok (1GB RAM, 32-bit single core!). Next I intend to try Trisquel 8 (alpha). I have a desktop box that I've been running Trisquel 7 on too, with no major issues.

I have to admit I've been using Mint on my entertainment laptop. I recently switched to LMDE 2.0 (based on Debian testing rather than Ubuntu), but I would recommend Mint as a "halfway house" between Windows/ Mac and a libre distro. Mainly because it just works and looks pretty, giving a positive first user experience for those who are completely new to GNU-Linux. But I do warn them that it's not fully free, and that they may want to switch to a fully free distro once they get more comfortable with GNU-Linux.

strypey
Beigetreten: 05/14/2015

BTW I just tried creating a Trisquel 8 alpha live disk using Disks and a USB stick. It wouldn't boot on either of my laptops (Aspire One or Toshiba Lifebook). Anyone know what I did wrong?

sig
sig
Beigetreten: 09/27/2017

I do use just trisquel, I love this OS.

Pablo G

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Beigetreten: 05/16/2012

Running Trisquel 7 in a Vikings X200 laptop (librebooted and 4.13 libre kernel)
Debian 9 and Trisquel 7 in a assembled desktop.

Waiting for Flidas