13Aug2017 buy Trisquel laptop

100 replies [Last post]
Ronmamita

Hi Magic Banana, as always I am "hoping" I didn't screw something up. I am acustomed to knowing what to expect but with Trisquel I am clueless and everything was unexpected. My USB pen is a 16GB or 128GB...
Anyway, I am unsure where this "computer" trisquel displays is, I do not recall it from my other trisquel efforts.
-Break-

***happy_gnu***
My impatience is showing again, I went ahead to the "computer" device thingy, then to Boot then to Grub and there I launched terminal. At the terminal I launched the boot repair sequence of commands and I'll show you the pics at the bottom.
commands in terminal:

1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update
2. sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair
3. [click option] "Recommended Repair".
Boot Repair was reported as successful, yay!
Trisquel request I reboot now.

Will this work - Ready for reboot and drumroll?
Wish me success, bye for now...

boot repair_p1.png boot_p2.png boot_p3.png boot_p4.png boot_p6.png boot_p7.png boot_p8.png boot_p9.png
Ronmamita

More unexpected crappiness:
Screen reported:
"BOOTMGR is missing"
"Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

That only repeats this cycle - no worky, so I did a POST interrupt with F8 key.
What do we try next?

Arc
Arc

That is usually what shows up when there is no bootloader. Looking at the previous screenshots, I don't think your attempt to install Trisquel was even successful, as there seems to be no partition on your desired drive or any of them that could be holding it. That is why, earlier, GRUB gave you the "Error: no such device." GRUB was fine all along and just couldn't find the non-existent Trisquel. And I am guessing the grub-repair somehow got rid of GRUB.

As for why Trisquel didn't actually install, I think it is because the target drive, that 128GB drive, is almost full, if I am looking at the screenshots correctly. If you can get some of your data off of it, maybe around 30GB worth, the automatic "Install alongside Windows" option would probably work fine.

As for why it LOOKED like it installed successfully and actually didn't... who knows! In essence, you are back to square one.

happy_gnu

It looks like Trisquel wasn't installed. I bet because disk space was to small. Maybe if you don't care about Windows and you don't have any data that you care about on the SSD you can just wipe it and install Trisquel forgetting about Windows for good :)

Ronmamita

Hi happy_gnu,
So, Trisquel installation deceived me; hmm Arc seems to thinks so too.
Wow, even the OS is laughing at my ineptness, okay I can laugh too :)
I should have considered that possibility, after Trisquel's install script asked me to input my user name and password then reboot and never asked for my password again or ofer my user name.
Sounds plausible, so lets go with the premise that Trisquel failed to install.

Here is my challenge:
My 128 GB SDD is being held hostage by Microsoft, there is no room/free space for Trisquel to enter, and I don't have the tools at hand to fully remove the invader.
OPTIONS:
1. WAIT for Trisquel laptop to arrive (feels like eternity)...
2. Get a helpful application to "safely" mirror the current state of the 128 GB SDD (archive has failed or is suspect at this stage).
3. FORCE the removal by reformatting the 128 GB SDD and installing Trisquel.

I am influenced by recent battle experience against Win7 to attempt option #3, that would be brutally gratifying, BUT...

I hesitate because the other drives are too important to me and I am uncertain if the data on those larger drives may be damaged or corrupted. There is a disturbing configuration with how the games on the other drives are installed with Win7 on the 128GB SDD - that is likely to cause them to not function.
I could remove the 128GB SDD then install another drive and boot from the usb to install Trisquel.
Maybe there is another option you gals and guys can offer?

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

I would first take a look at the partitions on the disk to understand what did or did not happen: https://trisquel.info/forum/13aug2017-buy-trisquel-laptop?page=1#comment-120080 (GParted is in the "System Settings" on the live system; you can choose another disk with the drop-down menu in the upper-right corner of GParted's window).

Ronmamita

Magic Banana I'll play with gparted to search all drives if I grasp how - thanks for patiently reminding me :)

Ronmamita

Hi heather
I lost my edit additional comment - sigh so much typing in vain, I won't do it justice with my retry LOL

Yes, I'm on a budget but I should be able to get additional hardware if needed, the laptop was the big expense.
No worries, ignore my stated impatience, it is the idle hand syndrome when I'm in front of my computer with unsolved problems I start fidgeting to try out my ideas. If the laptop was already here I would have something to occupy my computer fixation with Trisquel.
Besides, now that I know it is a battle of the OSs I shall not quit until microsoft is vanquished - even if I used the weapon of last resort to format the C: drive - that would be brutal. Ouch!
-Break-

Okay, this is to Magic Banana
I had a long typed reply to you but it was lost to the internet transit.
So this is the brief version, Gparted reports 5 devices (from top to bottom sequential order) the last is the USB 16GB Sandisk trisquel ISO image.
I took detailed photos, take your leisure to make sense of them, hopefully they will give hint to a easy fix:
/dev/sda1 model ATA ST...[931.51GB(94%)full 53.03GB free boot Label Data] {Pic1}

/dev/sdb model ATA M...[sdb1 100MB(74%)FREE Label sys rsrvd] [sdb2 119GB(95%)used 5.83GB(5%)free no Label] {Pic2 and Pic3}

/dev/sdc model model ATA ST...3.64TB[sdc1 unk 128MB msftres not mounted warning] [sdc2 ntfs 2.39TB(66%)used 1.24(34%)free mounted Label Jun2014] {Pic4 and Pic5}

/dev/sdd [sdd1 14.36MB(7%)used 185.64MB(93%)free not mounted Label Backup Sys Rsrvd] [sdd2 232.68GB(100%) mounted Label Archive C Drv] {Pic6 and Pic7}

/dev/sdi model Sandisk Cruzer Glide 14.61GB [sdi1 fat32 3GB(21%)used 11.59(79%)free boot lba(USB) mounted on cdrom Label UUI] {Pic8}

sda1_p1.png sdb2_p2.png sdb2_p3.png sdc1_p4.png sdc2_p5.png sdd1_p6.png sdd2_p7.png sdi_p8.png
Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

So many hard drives!

/dev/sda contains data you access from Windows (I believe from the label: "Data"). I believe from the "boot" flag that the bootloader (GRUB) was installed on this drive. If /dev/sda2 really contains data (look at its files, double-clicking on "Data", on the desktop), then it is not right. If I understood well, you cannot boot Windows anymore. I would try to remove the "boot" flag from /dev/sda2. You can do that from GParted, right-clicking on the row for /dev/sda2, then on "Manage Flags" and finally unchecking "boot".

/dev/sdb contains a small (100 MiB) system partition for Windows (I believe from the label "System Reserved"), whatever this is (again, I have not administrated any Windows system after Windows XP), and a rather large (119.14 GiB) Windows partition. It may be the actual Windows system because the "boot" flag is set on this drive too. You can check by looking at its files, double-clicking on "128 GB Volume" on the desktop.

/dev/sdc contains a small recovery partition (I believe from the flag "msftres") and a very large (3.64 TiB) partition where are most of your user files you access from Windows, I believe (you can take a look at these files by double-clicking on Jun2014, on the desktop). /dev/sdc2 has quite a lot of unused space: 1.24 TiB. You could take some to install Trisquel. GRUB could then be in /dev/sdc's Master Boot Record (MBR)... but I do not know if GRUB would to be able to boot Windows, on another drive (I have never worked with systems installed on different drives).

/dev/sdd contains a small partition with Windows' backup system (I believe from the label: "Backup Sys Rsrvd"), whatever this is, and a quite large (232.69 GiB) partition, which is a backup of the Windows' C: drive (I believe from the label: "Archive C Drv"). It is full what probably explains that the problem you face when you try to backup Windows (but you could copy the files somewhere else, not using Windows' backup system or configuring it to use another drive if it is large enough). You can look at the backup by double-clicking on "Archive C Drv" on the desktop. The files in the backup may not be human-readable though (the backup may be compressed, incremental, etc.).

As you wrote, /dev/sdi is your USB key. I am quite surprise of the name /dev/sdi. I believed the letters of the drives were following the alphabet: don't you have a /dev/sde, /dev/sdf, /dev/sdg and /dev/sdh? Not that four hard drives are too few!

No trace of GNU/Linux. Did Trisquel's install go all the way? It normally takes (tens of) minutes.

Ronmamita

Magic Banana Ha-ha, I have a surprise for you!
Earlier, You called something perfectly, PRECISELY what I should look for, that I missed.

See my comment below.

As to the DATA drive yeah that was my naming years ago to make it obvious what that drive is for. If it really is bootable now that is something new and the grubby grub may have installed there, but it isn't a priority.

You are on target, my machine doesn't boot anymore, I have to int. the POST and select the boot drive to get to an OS. I'm switching between Windows and Trisquel on boots.

Yes, the "System Reserved is the Win7 OS the real Boot drive (my orig. intention for this fast and small drive was to have fast boots and not install apps and games there, but win7 apps and games don't play by my rules and there is some overlapping files and some rogue programs that refuse to install anywhere but Windows' root drive or registry or something rogue like that.
Just another nail in the coffin of Windows - why I must abandon it, or kill it.

I have a lot of drives for the home network and we had fun from games and entertainment in several rooms and wireless devices.

/dev/sdc is my "K:" drive the workhorse where eveerything is there, the D: drive was the workhorse before it reacched capacity.

My Win7 drives do follow the alphabet, but some USB pens are missing I do skip alphabets for my own reasons as I intended to add/subtract devices.
My home network over the years was very dynamic.

Thanks for your assistance and explanations - geting Trisquel to auto-boot will be sweet!

happy_gnu

If you really don't want to lose your windows partition that is fine.

If you have the money you can buy a clean HDD or SDD and put trisquel there.

I kinda don't want you to because I see you have 2 HDD and one SSD and space more than enough.

But you said those disks are important and I understand and respect that. So at the end I would incline for you to buy a new disk.
That way you won't risk losing any data and can have a safe trisquel installation.

Ronmamita

Hi everyone, I am embarrassed to say how important something I forgot is.
I totally forgot about something that I thought had no bearing on what we were attempting to do.

Remember I had a unexpected result when I attempted to backup windows?
Evidently, the external drive kit I assembled for the windows-backup connected by a USB remained connected when later I returned to attempt the Trisquel Install alongside Win7.
WHY should that even matter?
Because for some reason Trisquel wanted that newly partitioned drive for itself!
Never mind that cramped C: drive alongside Windows.
LOL, you can laugh at me, but I ask your forgiveness for forgetting to even reconnect the M: drive and include it in the search for the missing installed Trisquel.

So the mystery of the lost Trisquel drive has been solved.
My oh my - what a gaff on my part, and I am amazed by not realizing that just maybe I should reconnect all drives just to double check and search.
That's the tale of my forgetfulness and ineptness.
Trisquel is my lil' rascal from now on - I see it as a prankster :)

Look at the images and doublecheck that Trisquel installed ("linux swap")itself on sdj4(23GB free)?
But my folder claims 809.02GB free - LOL, ha-ha does that mean my Lil' rascal wants the entire drive, including other partitions?

I am still at the step of getting boot to work properly.
Can we take it step by step from the images of my files?
Will passwords, partitioning, and upgrading packages be involved?

Again, I do apologize for adding to our conundrum and not checking this drive.

LinuxSwap M drive_sdj_p9.png FreeUnallocated M drv_sdj5_p10.png WhatIsThis_p11.png WhatIsThis_p12.png
Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Well, you do not want Trisquel on the external drive, right? It is possible but I do not really know how (in particular how to get Windows to boot when the external drive is not plugged in) and it would be slower.

So, if I were you I would use GParted to "delete" /dev/sdj3 (the root partition, where the Trisquel system is), /dev/sdj4 (the swap, an extension of the RAM if it becomes full, or to hibernate) and /dev/sdj5 (where the user files would be) and then "resize" /dev/sdj2 to take over the whole free space (as it used to).

See if my analysis in the previous post is correct, looking at the files on the different partitions.

If I am right about /dev/sda2 containing data and not an operating system, then try to take the "boot" flag off /dev/sda2 and see if Windows properly boots.

If it does, we can then proceed to installing Trisquel on an internal hard drive (/dev/sdc?).

Ronmamita

Hi my GNU friends, I am facing the Trisquel GUI atm.
I stopped taking my new prescription and feel better tonight, so let's get started.

The mental gymnastics needed to quickly correlate the drivenames between windows and Trisquel is difficult, as far as I can see, there is no "sda2" - here is my attempt at mapping the drives for reference:
C:=sdb2 #SDD fast-boot win7 OS
D:=sda1 #Data 1TB HDD my orig workhorse drive nearly full
E:=sdi1 #dvd/cd R/W
K:=sdc2 #4TB HDD my current workhorse drive 1.2 TB free
M:=sdj1-sdj5 #1TB external drive(converted a int HDD into ext kit)backup
X:=sdd2 #250GB SSD full (quick access port/easy swap)

The above drive map should help us; installation options are sdb[C:], sda[D:], sdc[K:], and/or possibly sdd[X:]
I now consider a SDD OS my preferred option because of its many conveniences. More about that and the OS later.
The Boot problem has first priority.

GUIDING STEPS or baptism by fire:
1. Win7 OS Backup. This has been a new thorny problem for some unk reason and I might as well get rid of it before we move on to other actions. With no current backup as insurance should something go WRONG (w/ Trisquel and my ineptness what could go wrong?) RIGHT? Ahem - unwise procedure.
I almost started win7 to format sdj (M: drive/device) My full-immersion-tutelage begins today because I feel you gals and guys have my back :) SO let's stay in the Trisquel environment and learn how to format the sdj1-5 devices!
I require knowledge to have Gparted setup the sdj(ext M:) drive. We need to allow aprox 132GB for the win7 backup. If we leave it as it is it has 145GB. Then we can use a clone utility to backup the sdb(C:) drive with win7 OS to the (sdd)ext drive
***I do not know how Gparted operates so any instructions here are welcomed.

2. Boot repair or restore to functional mode.
Reboot computer and verify windows 7 starts normally.
In preparation to the next step, I shall review the windows backup, prior to moving on to step 3.

3. We shall continue the theme of FULL-IMMERSION-TUTELAGE by over-writing MICROSOFTS' VIRUS aka Windows 7 OS.
I'm asking for your help, please from Trisquel shell, help me step-by-step install Trisquel as the primary boot.

That is the outline I am looking to follow, if you have better suggestions or cautions about these procedures please share them. I don't know how my computer will function without the win7 registry but I guess some apps and games will malfunction If we don't use the disk with the win7 clone to launch those programs? I'm Not sure, but I wish to have Trisquel running the machine - even if it means later I will have to find a way to allow win7 run as the second boot option.

PS:
happy magic banana, I unchecked the boot box from dev/sda1.
Shouldn't /dev/sdj3 have a boot flag? could Gparted put a boot there with the checkbox option?
I'll halt here, reboot and wait for replies before I screw things up.

PSS:
The reboot now reports no oprating system installed - pause, blank screen then win7 pops up, so yes win7 boots up now and we can continue to the next step - clone win7's bootdrive.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

First of all, have you deleted Trisquel's install from the external disk, as I suggested in https://trisquel.info/forum/13aug2017-buy-trisquel-laptop?page=1#comment-120112 ? You should. GParted is pretty user-friendly: right click on the row corresponding to the partitions you want to affect and choose in the contextual menu what you want to do: "delete", "resize", etc. The only (significant!) risk is to err affect the wrong partition. Double-check that the partition you will affect is the one you want to affect.

Then, I suggest you to backup your important files on that external disk (or another one). Indeed, having the backup right next to the original data (inside the same computer) is risky. Imagine that computer is stolen or catch fire: you lose everything.

The complexity of your computer (so many drives and partitions) apparently confuses Trisquel's installer that ended up installing on the external drive. That is why I suggest you to not choose an automatic partitioning (such as "Install Trisquel alongside Windows") but rather "Something else" (it is one of the option the installer proposes). You will end up on a GParted-like interface where you can delete, resize, create, format, etc. partitions on your disks and define how Trisquel will use these partitions.

One single partition is mandatory: where / (the root of the file hierarchy) will be mounted. Nevertheless, I strongly suggest two additional partitions (as in the default partitioning scheme): one where /home will be mounted (it will contain all user files; without that separate partition, they would be on the same partition as /, i.e., with the system) and a swap partition (known as "virtual memory" on Windows, i.e., an extension of the RAM). These partitions can be (or not) on three different drives, if you wish. You only need enough free space for each of them (after resizing the existing partitions, what only is possible if they are not too full).

I suggested in https://trisquel.info/forum/13aug2017-buy-trisquel-laptop#comment-119913 24 GB for the partition where / will be mounted (enough for the sole system, unless you plan to install many space-consuming games), as much swap as you have RAM (so that you can hibernate Trisquel, if you wish) and as much space as possible for the partition where /home will be mounted (so that you can have many large user files such as movies, pictures, etc.). So, before launching the installer, you need to choose on what drive(s) you will create those three partitions. It is your call. Having / on an SSD is good: the system is faster (to boot in particular). However, your SSD is almost full.

At the creation of new partitions (in the free space you get after shrinking existing existing partitions), you will have to tell (a drop-down menu) the type of the partition. For the swap it is "linux-swap". For the partition where to mount / I suggest ext4. For the partition where to mount /home I suggest xfs. Those are the choices the default install makes too (I can argue why these choices are good, if you wish, but I doubt you care).

Once the three partition created, their types chosen (click their "format" check box they are not checked), the mount points (/ and /home, the swap is not "mounted"), double-check you will indeed format the newly created partitions and not preexisting ones! You can then proceed with the rest of the installation that you have already seen (defining the name of the system, your user name, your time zone, etc.).

Let us hope the bootloader (GRUB) will not raise any trouble. If not, a reboot (do not forget to unplug the USB key with the live system when the computers starts booting) should bring you a menu where Trisquel is the default system to boot but where you can choose to boot Windows too.

Ronmamita

Magic Banana, I haven't deleted Trisquel's install from sdj3,4,and 5 yet because I have a question and I'm preparing for sleep - can I simply properly prepare the entire device dev/sdj for future drive device? The sdj1 and sdj2 are not reliable full backup for windows and I wish to put a clone disk there as windows' reliable current backup. Wiping the entire disk for full 1TB use will be best, don;t you think?
So do I "have to" delete each partition individually or can I do the ENTIRE device with all partitions at once?

After I clone the win7 drive to the ext (/dev/sdj) drive then I wish to overwrite the win7 OS drive replacing it with Trisquel. My thoughts are getting foggy, not sure if I'm reasoning this properly. I wish to do everything from Trisquel (except the Win7 cloning obviously) so not sure about the device partitioning

More later, I'm off to sleep.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Like I wrote: "I suggest you to backup your important files on that external disk (or another one)". I would use GParted to prepare it.

The farther the backup from the original data, the better. If both are in the same computer and it catches fire, you lose everything. If both are in the same house and it catches fire (less probable that the computer catching fire), you may lose everything. If both are in the same neighborhood and there is an earthquake (less probable than the house catching fire), you might lose everything. Do you understand?

Also, do you understand that a backup of the the user data is far more important than a backup of the system? You can always reinstall a system (taking a new copy of it). But you cannot recover your family pictures if they only were on a disk that was damaged. I tell you that because, as far as I understand (it is not clear), you are talking about "cloning" Windows...

... but you then talk about overwriting it, so I am confused. If you go for deleting Windows, there is no point in cloning it (install Trisquel in the space the cloned system would use). You can delete Windows' system partitions and create in the free space (some of) the three partitions I was talking about. I was suggesting to use the installer but you can do the same from GParted if you prefer (during the installation of the "Something else" type, you then only need to define the two mount points, / and /home).

Ronmamita

Hi Magic Banana, we are playing tag, I have dificulty being idle with the computer and usually go ahead and attempt to complete my objectives (the steps I outlined).
I apologize if I confused you, probably because I am confused and not using the proper jargon to communicate.
My thoughts have changed since begining this endeavor, at first I didn't consider this a battle of the OSs but I do now.
That may be the wrong analogy but I am operating on that, so I decided to clone windows 7, then remove and replace it with Trisquel - my reason is because there is not enough disk space free to shrink windows drive and install trisquel or as you now explain there may be enough room if I partition different devices on different drives but that further confuses me and so that is where I am.
So are you implying that I should not put Trisquel at sdb2 (where windows is now) because it will break something?
I am thinking this is like removing the device (similar to taking out the C: drive, aka sdb2 and replacing it with a new device called sdb2 with Trisquel OS), does that make sense?
If it doesn't work then I'll put back the clone as if it is the original and come up with a different strategy.

here is what I've done, because we play tag and my actions are before your replies, we must be about a 6 hour differential?:
Wed 30 Aug 2017 08:15:14 AM EDT
I'm back in Trisquel 16GB USB stick.
I deleted the 3 Trisquel partitions (sdj3,4,5).

Now, my next step is to clone win7 to that external M: device - standby...

An hour later, I have completed cloning the C: win7 drive to the M: external drive.
Now test the backup by reboot, post int., boot from M: drive?
I wish C: drive was disconnected, to be sure it isn't being accessed dispite my attempts to isolate it.
If I am convinced the backup works, then I shall install Trisquel on the (/dev/sdb1 and sdb2)C: device.

If I feel unsure about the backup I could clone the X: drive and install Trixquel on the X: drive.
Let's go for the C: drive as the goal (war scenario).

Here is what I did:
From uninstalled USB Trisquel the Gparted resize/move option is greyed out so I used Gparted to copy/paste sdb2(C:win7 OS) to sdj3(M: ext drive); then I want to delete sdb2 and replace it with Trisquel OS...

This may take a hour, looks like Gparted's copy/paste is like the clone utility. I'm doing this extra step as a added precaution and insurance to restore win7 if the Trisquel install procedure makes the win7 programs unusable.
I'll return after that

Yes this is my biggest risk, however I do have the backup files so a win7 system should be able to recover if I screwup.
Wish me success.

cant move sdb2_p1.png copy paste sdb2 to sdj unallocated.png copy paste sdb2 to sdj_p2.png copy paste sdb2 to sdj_p3.png
Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

On the positive side, the automatic install would work and, for sure, the install will not be lost on an unknown disk this time. But since Ronmamita now successfully uses GParted, he should not have difficulty defining a "Something else" partitioning. So, it does not look like a significant advantage.

On the negative side, beside the manual work (opening the computer, unplugging and replugging the disks), other systems (if any) will not be detected and not be automatically added to GRUB's menu.

Ronmamita

Hi Heather, come on in!
Don't just poke your head in, you are always welcome to comment and share freely :)
Using the screwdriver now-a-days, means the task becomes a major project form me physically.
So while not "impossible" it is unlikely for me to remove and insert devices.
LOL, ha-ha the external TB drive I just installed for the current win7 clone that allowed me the peace of mind to go ahead with this Trisquel Install project was done after purchasing the external USB rack-kit to house my spare 1TB internal drive -that was meant to be installed internally ;)

My Trisquel 7 installation saga contiues...

-Edit-
PS: To Magic Banana, Ron has not successfully learned how to use Gparted to install Trisquel.
Gparted is my latest dangerous weapon...

Ronmamita

This someone, as a new comer to GNU needs stress-calming dialogue, so thank you.
That Grub program has begun to act like a real bug, preventing all OS access.
I think a highlighted in bold text procedure needs to be created for installers to avoid it.
As well as a cammand line procedure to remove it if it becomes a problem - who needs a persistent boot when it no longer boots to anything? Thank goodness for the motherboards's POST interrupt menu.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

The letters Windows gives to the drives do not matter. You will never see them in GNU/Linux. Again, as long as there is enough space, you can create the three partitions wherever you want, even on different drives (e.g., / on the SSD for a fast boot and applications starting more rapidly, /home on the disk where you can get the most free space to have that much space for the user files, the swap wherever you want).

Ronmamita

Hi everyone, I deleted windows 7 (the war scenario).

I'm on EMERGENCY HOLD, more unexpected messages and confusion on my part.

I typed this message the first time more eloquently and while everything was fresh in memory after I failed at the Installation, but then Abrowser froze as I was attempting to uplaod a screencapture with the comment and I had to reboot.
Thus, this is a poor re-do.

***To Magic Banana:
My attempt to install from Gparted failed as I did not find the install features after I partitioned (24GB)sdb2; however the Install icon is coveniently placed on the desktop- I launched install from there. I chose the "something else" install option with intention to partition as per:
root partition 24GB sdb2; swap 16GB sdb3; user files (/home remaining GB)sdb4 - however the many options confused me.
(ex: create partition: Primary or Logic or etc...; "swap area" or other options; mount point /boot; /home; or other options...)
You see my confusion - too many options and what sequence?

Please walk me through the proper sequence of steps and correct options to choose to installation complete.

install_whatToDoNxt_p1.png installWhatToDoNxt_p2.png
Ronmamita

I decided to continue my effort, All my /dev/sdb partition attempts failed - "NO ROOT FILE SYSTEM IS DEFINED"
I then allowed the installation to install by erasing the partition when it finished installation and had my name and password this happened:
Grub 2.04 or 2.somenumber - no operating system... enter name ron ... enter password ... nothing happened - then or now I forget but eventually the screen remained black... ctrl+alt+del doesn't reboot... pwr button doesn't work... I pulled the plug!
Repeat - pulled the plug again - int. POST and went to the USB Trisquel then found the ethernet connection lost (reported disconnected but the cable is connected)...
Yikes that was a long battle to reach the internet again.

Below is an image of the installed Trisquel on 105GB Volume sdb and I do not know what to do to get it operational. I guess the last option is to partition the sdb again - unless I have step-by-step guide detailing the installation procedure to completion.
The lil' rascal played me again, after asking me toname the computer, it decides to name the volume?! That was unexpected too.

I haven't given in to defeat, but I need some assistance.

105GB Volume sdb1256.png Why not boot Trisquel.png AccessMyFilesTrisquel.png WhatHappenedToPassword.png
Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

With the traditional "master boot record partition scheme", a hard disk can only have four "primary partitions". However one (and only one) of them can be an "extended partition" that can contain as many "logical partitions" as you wish, hence no real limitation. When using the system, it makes no difference. The order of the partitions on a SSD makes no difference too. On a HDD, reads/writes to partitions at the end of the disk are a tiny little bit faster (because it spins less)... but you will probably never notice the difference.

The three partitions you created (according to the first screenshot) are OK... but not great (more on that in the next paragraph). You can use them in a "Something else" type of installation: right after choosing that type, you only need to indicate that / will be mounted on /dev/sdb1 and /home will be mounted on /dev/sdb6. To do so, there are drop-down menus. To find them click (maybe right-click, I forgot the exact process) on each of these two partitions. You can click their "format" check box too.

All that said, I would not put the partition for user data on that /dev/sdb. It is too small: with 97 GiB for /home, you and the other users of the system will soon run short of space in your "home folders". I would create a larger (the larger the better) XFS partition on another drive. In Trisquel's installer, you would then indicate that /home will be mounted on that new partition. You can keep /dev/sdb6 to store data. Or you can delete it and keep the liberated space unallocated (if, in the future, you want to install a second GNU/Linux system, you would put its root partition there, and indicate the same /home as Trisquel's, without formatting!).

Ronmamita

Thu 31 Aug 2017 10:10:19 AM EDT
I'm using "gedit" to write text.
buggy from the USB - gedit closed without warning and without saving!
That is very bad!
I am using gedit because I thought the culprit was "Abrowser", but apparently the malfunction is my computer's use of Trisquel from the USB...
I am not sure, that is my guess, but the point is that I lost a lot of important text typed to you guys for help, and my re-type or re-do are not as good as the original.
Moments ago it happened again, when gedit disappeared in the middle of this comment to you all.
I am now typing and saving repeatedly until I send it.

What I said in the earlier and now lost text to you is that I am having BIG PROBLEMS:
I communicated that msg in a more low key manner without the frustration and caps.
The points are:
"The three partitions you created" should be 'the three partitions the installation script created'.
Because, the partitions were created from behind the closed door where I could not see the script commands as they were executed.
That is NOT ok.
Not only does it miss the opportunity to share the commands and procedures to install Trisquel with me but it also installed Trisquel poorly.
It is NOT ok, because the three partitions are of the wrong size and on the wrong devices.
It is NOT ok because the three partitions are not accessible by me.
It is NOT ok because I don't know how to reproduce those partitions myself.

I lack the knowledge, and more specifically I require the specific procedures and commands at the terminal.

The above explains my frustration and problem.
To Magic Banana, I am attempting to follow your instructions (failing, but I haven't quit); at this moment what are you asking me to do specifically, step-by-step?
1. ron do this.
2. Then do this...
3. If that was successful, ron you should see this...
And then Trisquel will successfully boot properly.

Magic Banana I like your strategic plan, my user filespace should be on a very large device (like /sdc or another TB size device), the problem for me is I do not know how to do that and Trisquel doesn't boot, even though Gparted show sdb1 has the boot flag -see image: 105GB Volume sdb1 1256.png
The installation script created that. I do not know how to do that and my attempts to access that fails.

*I wish to emphasize my EMERGENCY: Trisquel doesn't boot and Trisquel isn't operational.
I do not have a operating system.

Isn't the solution best done at Trisquel's terminal and type in commands?
I'm willing, if you are.

Thanks everyone, I need your help on this.

-Edit-
PS: I want to offer a helpful request to the Trisquel developers (and all GNU distro developers), but not sure where to post it.

My end-user experience has me wishing for this to be implemented:
Please have Installation scripts run on the display screen for the end user to view the commands and procedures.
Learning the OS is a IMPORTANT opportunity and this will assist in that.
At minimum show the prcedure that will be executed with the major commands to be used as a static illustrative image.
The installation is (in my opinion) the first and the most important task for the end user that may be new converts to the free source community.

Thanks for all your wonderful efforts, cheers!

Ronmamita

Thu 31 Aug 2017 12:43:34 PM EDT
I'm watching tutorial videos to learn how to install, then I will again launch install with the "something else" option to properly partition my devices.
I didn't comprehend how to do this from Magic Banana's comments so the tutorials are helping me understand what Magic banana was instructing me to do.
Magic Banana, if you read this I am attempting to follow your instructions (I would call them informational strategy to deploy because they include options rather than steps) - I wish to determine my steps.

Step 1 -from the "something else" install option I will select the device / for root - define the size or leave as is, and the mount point... (ex: /dev/sdb5 "linux-swap" to change the size? I am guessing, because I have 16GB ram). Then in the "Use as:" box option choose from the menu the "Ext4 journaling file system", click the check box for the "format the partition" menu option; then next select from the "Mount point" menu option...

I did not know all those procedural steps with the various options to choose from, for each individual procedural step.
The current tutorial I (paused it to comment here) am watching is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPUVIc-W13s
Title: Installing Linux & Windows in Dual Boot: CORRECT PARTITION SCHEME & BOOT LOADER SETUP
From what I've seen this far this video or these install instructions should be available to every new installer converting from windows. - I wish I had followed these instructions (or a similarly detailed set of steps) before starting this project.
**The step post installation menu before you reboot I found especially important to avoid boot coruption and problems.
After you've entered your name and password but before you boot the installation menu window gives you the option:
"Continue testing" or "Restart now" click cintinue testing! This allows you to open terminal and run a few important commands!

Then there are other steps (for /home and to make the OS function properly) as required.

Magic Banana, I must choose the devices to partition so I need to understand this, and I will have Gparted do this as you instructed.

-Cons & Pros-
Sadly, my other unrelated (to my home network) projects are delayed because the tools I use for interacting over the internet are not available as I prioritize this install Trisquel project.

The good that can come from this is I may be better prepared to begin scripting commands to handle applications in the future?
Because some of the old applications I was using may longer be available on my Freed machine.

As a current poignant example:
I'm inconveniently watching a tutorial from the Youtbe.com server over the internet rather than from my computer because I do not have a OS on my computer. The USB doesn't have a video downloader for youtube installed so rewinding or fastforwarding is difficult and time consuming as the video stream is paused to reset and load... Not to mention the annoying advertising that I have to see load - my old system had apps that blocked youtube ads and downloaded videos that I intend to watch.
Sigh, this is rather bothersome.

-Edit-
PS: Did you notice the date the video was created, 2015 - a solution should have been installed for all distros by now in 2017.
Don't you think?
I think it would help the adoption of Trisquel 8 if the developers address easy installation procedures that removes the grub bootloader problem while simultaneously making the enduser's installation experience easier than Trisquel 7.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Most of that video is about having Windows' bootloader (rather than GRUB) start by default and propose an entry to start GRUB, which allows to boot GNU/Linux... and Windows. I see little point in doing that: just install the boot loader (GRUB) in the MBR (the default). It will start right after the computer is switched on and display a menu (shown in the video at 12:25) listing all the systems that are installed in your computer. Contrary to Windows' boot loader, its automatic configuration should be OK. In particular it auto-detects all installed systems.

Between 2:45 and 4:35 (the only relevant part), the video shows the use of the partitioning tool integrated to the installer. In the video, one single partition is used: the mandatory one, where to mount /. As I explained you, I additionally recommend a separate partition where to mount /home (as large as you can afford) and a swap partition (you apparently want 16 GB, which is fine).

In the video, the user pre-created the partitions in Windows and formatted them in NTFS. It is only a lost of time: he had better pre-created them in GParted and directly formatted them the way he wants for his GNU/Linux installation (Ext4 for / is fine; I recommend XFS for /home). In this way, he would not have to "format the partition" during the installation process. But you do not even have to to pre-create the partitions in GParted (or any other tool): in the partitioning tool integrated in the installer, the "-" button deletes a partition and the "+" button creates a partition (of any size) in the freed space. Partitions can be resized too. Of course, you should double-check that you are not deleting the wrong partition.

Again, the rest of the video is useless: let the default choice of "Device for boot loader installation" and you can reboot as soon as the installation ends.

Ronmamita

AWESOME comment!
Thanks Magic Banana, I'm still attempting to comprehend the procedure you outlined here, so in this regard the video was helpful for me, where I actually am "SEEING" this in action.
With your assistance I am convinced I will have Trisquel running my server.
Repairing the boot will be needed...

The default boot wants to install on sda but for my install shouldn't be on sdb1 - is my confusion and the wrong location for boot causing my problems?

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

I would trust the installer's default. It is probably right.

Ronmamita

I Need Help:

ok, I followed your [Magic Banana's] advice, the boot is default /dev/sda1
When GRUB 2.02 menu is up and I select Trisquel the screen goes blank and the computer pwr freeze (I have to disrupt power supply then turn power back on).
USB shows me that Trisquel is partitioned(23.76GB) /dev/sdb1 the home gui allows me to mount it but what do I do now?
How can I get my computer to boot to Trisquel?
Is there anything you want me to share with you, a image perhaps or text from the terminal?
I have no solution, and need assistance...

31Aug2017 boot fails_p1.png 31Aug2017HelpMe.png
Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

The default "device for bootloader installation" is /dev/sda (the first disk; GRUB is then installed in its MBR) not /dev/sda1 (the first partition of the first disk). But, if at the boot, GRUB shows up, then it should be OK... unless it is the GRUB installed in one of your previous tries. Probably installed in /dev/sda's MBR. No error message after you choose Trisquel in GRUB's menu? GRUB can be (re)installed. But it is simpler to tell you "reinstall Trisquel and specify let /dev/sda as the "device for bootloader installation".

As far as I understand, /dev/sdb1 is the root partition and you put /home on another disk, right? You need a /home partition (otherwise you would have 24 GB for both the system and the user data). In the screenshot, you ask about the "Volume name". It actually is a number of 32 hexadecimal digits. It identifies the partition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universally_unique_identifier

Ronmamita

Hi Magic Banana, I looked at the sda1 from Gparted and was surprised - Gparted doesn't list a sda, so the feature is on the install script, I guess.
Okay, I will run install and accept the boot default.
I may allow the install "something else" optional script to also place the /home directory so that HOPEFULLY it will work and then, later, we can change the user's partition to a larger size after we confirm Trisquel boots successfully.
Cheers!

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Again: /dev/sda is a disk, whereas /dev/sda1 is a partition. They are both files because basically everything is a file in GNU/Linux, even a disk or a partition. When the installer says the bootloader will be installed on /dev/sda, it actually means in /dev/sda's MBR (Master Boot Record): half a kilobyte at the beginning of the disk, before any partition.

Please define now a partition for /home. Not that it is impossible to do so later (editing /etc/fstab)... but, well, it is the same situation as for the installation of the bootloader: it will be faster to ask you to reinstall than to explain fstab's format (type 'man fstab' in a terminal if you really want to know).

Ronmamita

Thank you Magic Banana for the explanation, good to know.
After Installation the same problem persists.

GRUB menu displays for 3 seconds, then text flashes fast scroll and screen goes blank computer freeze where reset doesn't work and the physical electrical power has to be interrupted to return.

What procedure do you suggest next?

02Sep2017_Install_p2.png 02Sep2017_install_p3.png 02Sep2017_install_p4.png
Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

That would be taking a look at the logs to discover what goes wrong (it should go right). In the 26 GB (shown in your second screenshot, the root partition of the installed system), go into "var" and then "log". You can attach "boot.log" and "syslog" to your reply on this forum.

And, again, less than 80 GiB for /home is very little: that partition should be larger (on another disk).

Ronmamita

I agree, yes the 80GB /home is too small but I am not sure how to place /home somewhere eles with out overwriting and possible damaging another disk data - reconnecting the external HDD would have aprox. 500GB avail.
However I am focused on learning how to solve my Trisquel boot problem.

Oops, the attachments you requested are not in a file ext. this forum accepts.
How best to convert a copy to a acceptable format?
Disregard, I don't wish to play tag with this I will use Gedit copy/paste to copy as .txt files.
NOTE: syslog use special characters that UTF-8 doesn't accept, so that may miss some code, if so You will have to explain how to clone/copy "syslog" for uploading as attachments.

I'm willing to learn from the terminal command line.

AttachmentSize
bootlog.txt 4.46 KB
syslog.txt 288.5 KB
Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

I believe the problem is the support of your nVidia video card (you have an nVidia video card, right?):
Sep 1 23:58:30 GNU kernel: [ 0.875020] nouveau E[ VBIOS][0000:01:00.0] 0x75f2[ ]: unknown opcode 0xb9
Sep 1 23:58:30 GNU kernel: [ 0.875076] nouveau E[ DEVINIT][0000:01:00.0] init failed, -22
Sep 1 23:58:30 GNU kernel: [ 0.875125] nouveau E[ DRM] failed to create 0x80000080, -22
Sep 1 23:58:30 GNU kernel: [ 0.875383] nouveau: probe of 0000:01:00.0 failed with error -22

You may actually have text sessions working. Let us see. After the init, a few tens of seconds after the screen goes blank, type Ctrl+Alt+F1. If a screen asking for you "login" is displayed, then you can input your login "ron", then [Enter], then your password (it is normal not have any graphical feedback) and finally [Enter]. Then, you can try to update your kernel following the instructions on https://jxself.org/linux-libre/

But a probably better idea would be to physically remove the video card: your Intel processor has a graphical chipset that Trisquel perfectly supports.

Ronmamita

This is difficult to reply to, the ctrl+alt+F1 combo may have done something but it is hidden from the blank screen.
I wish there was a option to always display command executing to the screen.

I can avoid having to disrupt power supply to reboot with ctrlAltF1 repeatedly, then ctrl+Alt+Del and the F8 brings up the POST menu. always the GRUB halting Trisquel.

What do you suggest next?

PS: yes, I have Nvidia graphics card installed.

-Edit-
Yay - the CtrAltF1 worked this last attempt, perhaps the timing was correct, but the whatever the reason my fist time being in "ron@GNU" MACHINE; this is a pleasant surprise after two failed attempts.
Below is a screen capture of the terminal and I ask for your assistance with the command line to make sure we solve the GRUB boot problem permanently.

I'm worried that if I reboot now the old problem is still there.

Success.png
Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

So, Ctrl+Alt+F1 does displays the text session and you can log into it, right?

If so, plug an Ethernet cable and type the following commands ('sudo' will ask for your password and, again, it is normal not to have a visual feedback after every character you type), taking care of not forgetting any character:
$ echo 'deb http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/pub/linux-libre/freesh/ freesh main' | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
$ wget https://jxself.org/gpg.inc
$ sudo apt-key add gpg.inc
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install linux-libre-lts
$ sudo reboot

A newer kernel (Linux-libre 4.9) will boot and hopefully show you graphics. If you want to understand what those commands are about (and maybe choose another version of Linux-libre), read https://jxself.org/linux-libre/

Ronmamita

Something failed, how do I start the sudo from begining - do I type exit and retry everything again?
Here is what happened at the terminal:

ron@GNU:/$ wget https://jxself.org/gpg.inc
--2017-09-02 23:33:56-- https://jxself.org/gpg.inc
Resolving jxself.org (jxself.org)... 96.66.250.147
Connecting to jxself.org (jxself.org)|96.66.250.147|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 5588 (5.5K) [text/plain]
gpg.inc: Permission denied

Cannot write to ‘gpg.inc’ (Success).
ron@GNU:/$ sudo apt-key add gpg.inc
gpg: can't open `gpg.inc': No such file or directory
ron@GNU:/$

-Edit-
Disregard the above, I typed exit and redid it all and your instructions in the terminal are executing now...

Ronmamita

YAY - Success!!!
Your instructions executed and rebooted right into Trisquel "ron@GNU" ;)

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH.

I note that Gparted is no longer in system settings.
How do I install Gparted and how do I move the /user to larger device?

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Read https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/add-and-remove-programs about installing/removing/updating packages. More generally, here is a list of manuals: https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/all-manuals

As I wrote earlier, it is simpler to reinstall Trisquel (and, then, probably the newer Linux-libre, like you have just done) setting up the proper partition for /home (I imagine it is what you mean by /user, which does not exist) right from the start, than do it afterwards (what involves copying data from the current /home without altering the permissions, and editing /etc/fstab).

So, first, you must make some space on one of your large disks. You can use GParted to resize/move/delete partitions. You can keep using a live system. Or you can install GParted on your new system and run it from there. But do not touch the partitions the system is currently using (i.e., /dev/sdb1, /dev/sdb2 and /dev/sdb5, if you run GParted from the newly installed)!

Ronmamita

MY LIBIQUITY LAPTOP!

Arrived moments ago!

My wife said it was delivered precariously halfway (inside/outside) our wall-mounted mailbox - the package is oversized for the mailbox and the U.S.P.S. mailman should have knocked on the front-door to hand deliver or placed it on the porch floor. If it had fallen from that height it would have damaged the laptop.

Picture 1
The first thing I noticed was the box-package had a penetrated hole that has me thinking it went through rough handling during shipping.
-Edit-
For some unk error the 1st image refused to upload, sorry about that, the damaged box picture is on my HDD no need to bore you with it.

Picture 2
However, upon opening the box the added bubble wrap was a needed protective barrier in place, Yay!

Picture 3 and 4
The laptop was in a sealed bag and docked.
The three cables and power adapter were in separate bags.
I did not find any instructions.

Picture 5
All 5 contents are shown in this image or 6 contents if you separate the dock from the laptop which were shipped connected or docked. I forgot to include a small white envelope with 3 Libreboot stickers with the iconic leaping deer black-silhouette image.
1 ea. Taurinus X200; 8 GiB RAM; 1 TB HDD;
1 ea. Dock with CD/DVD Drive
1 ea. AC power adapter
1 ea. 5ft network patch cable
1 ea. 12inch adapter cable (not sure but maybe VGA)
1 ea. 12inch adapter cable (not sure, maybe a card reader)

The laptop has some scratches on it but doesn't appear to be any noticeable damage.

I am feeling like a klutz, having difficulty opening the laptop, where is the latch? Everything is black and challenging to determine which latch is for the dock and laptop after fumbling I got it to open -Yay!

Plug it in and let's power it on!

The green Trisquel desktop screen comes on with the system configuration menu.
Oops the latop is auto connecting to the local WiFis in the area - how to power off?
I push what appears to be the symbol for powerbut it doesn't power down so I close it hoping it will halt and go to sleep or power-off automatically.

Move the laptop to the office where the ethernet and modem boxes are, plug in the ethernet cat6 cable, now open the laptop's lid and the sceen lights up showing ethernet connection to the internet. I will now go through the systgem configuration menu...

Success!!!

My first time seeing a logon box for "Ron" asking for password!
Ok, the firs tasks I completed were change the screen background/wallpaper; sleepmode/powersaving; and settings for sound. While in the system settings GUI I noticed there is no Gparted app. I'll have to learn how to install packages and apps that I need. I see 160MB updated software is available for download, I'll start that now.

Now I am in a happy mode, despite my unfinished project installing Trisquel on my old server-a/v blog work-horse.
I thank everyone here on the forum and Libiquity for encouraging me to find a GNU computer distributer.
Thank Libiquity for safely shipping it to me.

Chat with you all again soon, cheers!

unbox2.jpg unbox3.jpg unbox4.jpg unbox5.jpg
Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

When the Ethernet cable is not plugged, there should be a Wifi icon on the panel, isn't there? Click on it to select the network you want to connect to.

Read https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/add-and-remove-programs about installing/removing/updating packages. More generally, here is a list of manuals: https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/all-manuals

Ronmamita

Magic Banana, THANK YOU SO MUCH for solving my install problems!

With the new Taurinus Laptop I simply closed the top-lid putting it to sleep and then connected the ethernet cable opened it up; as I look at the opposite pointing arrows icon for connected ethernet I see my wired connection and 5 WiFi signals available - two are under my control. I would like to set my home network but I'll have to read before I commit to changing the defaults atm. The clock is after midnight and I need some sleep - I hope to hear from you again even as I immerse myself into terminal commands.

Gparted is no longer in my system settings and I need to move the /home partition to larger device...
So the install saga is concluded and now my terminal command journey begins.
I can sleep happy tonight - thanks.

Ronmamita

Hi Magic Banana, I now comprehend what you meant in your comment:
https://trisquel.info/en/forum/13aug2017-buy-trisquel-laptop?page=1#comment-120344
> "And, again, less than 80 GiB for /home is very little: that partition should be larger (on another disk)."
> "As I wrote earlier, it is simpler to reinstall Trisquel (and, then, probably the newer Linux-libre, like you have just done) setting up the proper partition for /home "

The Gparted app is gone and it is simpler to use the version in the install app - as the partitions will be over written each time I run install.
When I run install again - will I have to deal with the boot problem too?
If so, is there a simpler way to avoid or remedy it rapidly?

Even if the boot problem return during another install I now can use the solution you provided, but I haven't decided where to create the larger /home device I would like it to have a full 1TB because I archive a lot of audio/video and images that eats up available storage.
As I consider this, perhaps the Laptop is best suited for Master control of My Home Network as it is the TRUE GNU/FSF spec.
The network should connect or "share" devices so the new Taurinus laptop is an option to consider for /home , yes?

And I haven't considered how to connect the other machines to the network or leave them outside to use the WiFi and proprietary products - any suggestions? - all are invited to comment.

^

I haven't looked into how to configure the home network - this is important and these two machines will be managing the network.
This looks daunting at 1st glance with security, routers, IP addresses, firewalls, primary/alternate DNS and VPN-connections
Is there a app or script that makes home network management simple to setup?

Sadly, I am using unsecure AT&T ISP broadband, mainly because of their presence as other ISP's were not available - it has been awhile since I searched for competitors; do you have any suggestions for network apps and ISP?

^
What procedure(s) do you employ to search the internet securely?
I don't see any Abrowser options for deleting cookies, - does that mean all cookies are auto deleted?
Previously I had StartPage (IXQ) now I am attempting to get accustomed to duckduckGo but when I click the links isn't the browser dumped to the website without avoiding cookies and IP address?

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

The Gparted app is gone and it is simpler to use the version in the install app

It is not "gone": it has never been installed. You can use the live system, or you can install it: https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/add-and-remove-programs (it is the third time I point you this manual).

When I run install again - will I have to deal with the boot problem too?

Yes, you will. The default kernel does not properly support your video card.

If so, is there a simpler way to avoid or remedy it rapidly?

I do not think so. Just follow https://trisquel.info/forum/13aug2017-buy-trisquel-laptop?page=1#comment-120339 not forgetting any character in the commands.

I do not understand your network issues. Don't you access the Internet from any of your system? Don't you have a router providing the Internet access to all your computers? You only need to configure the router.

I doubt anybody reads 3-page-long threads but those who got involved in it. You had better create a new thread per problem/question. Try to clearly explain the problems you face. That usually means briefly and with short sentences.

The network should connect or "share" devices so the new Taurinus laptop is an option to consider for /home , yes?

You mean the desktop system having its /home on another computer (shared with that system)? Well, that other computer would then have to always be online. Since we are talking about a laptop, you probably do not want that. And accessing files over the network entails a performance penalty. And you have very large disks in this computer! Do you really use all the data they contain? Aren't there duplicated data?

What procedure(s) do you employ to search the internet securely?

I am not sure I understand what you mean. First of all, I rarely search the Web: I use the history and bookmarks (URLs in the address bar are auto-completed). I use https://duckduckgo.com/html/ as my default search engine. But you can use StartPage if you prefer. Click on the magnifying glass at the left of Abrowsers' search field and then on "Search settings" (I translate from French: it may be slightly different) to set the default search engine, the additional ones, search engines, etc.

I don't see any Abrowser options for deleting cookies

In the menu (the button with three stacked segments, like a burger), click on "Preferences" and, in the "Privacy" tab, on the "Display the cookies..." button. You will then be able to select cookies and delete them. There is a button to delete them all too.

does that mean all cookies are auto deleted?

Click on https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/latest/415846/addon-415846-latest.xpi if you want "Self-Destructing Cookies".

Previously I had StartPage (IXQ) now I am attempting to get accustomed to duckduckGo but when I click the links isn't the browser dumped to the website without avoiding cookies and IP address?

See https://duckduckgo.com/privacy if you want to know DudckDuckGo's (good) privacy policy.

Ronmamita

I apologize Magic Banana, for all the questions where not directed at you, and I appreciate your assistance, I have a lot to learn, really at every keystroke I am facing the unknown in trisquel.

We can close out this thread and I think I will consult the pages and learn what I can.
I didn't want to wear out your patience - thanks - you've helped me tremendously :)

Sincerely,
Ron

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

No need to apologize. I was just telling you that you had better request for suggestions ("any suggestions? - all are invited to comment") in a clearer post opening a new thread than in a long post at the third page of a thread that nobody reads (except you and me and maybe Heather). Anyway, digging https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/all-manuals is a good idea to learn a few things. You can also search the forum (text box in its upper-right corner) to see if your question has already been answered.