Asus KFSN 4-DRE at the end of november 2016

43 replies [Last post]
hack and hack

According to this article, I shouldn't be intimidated:
http://www.howtogeek.com/187797/dont-be-intimidated-building-your-own-computer-is-easier-than-youd-think/

Can I choose any of these necessary pieces?
I guess not. Specially not regarding a graphic card (with DVI support).
Hopefully this will do: https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/geforce-8400gs-1gb-pci-express-20-video-card-gnulinux-full-low-profile-brackets

It seems to be supporting DVI-I dual link. It should in theory support DVI-D (dual link), but I'll have to ask to be sure.

I know about the case, roughly about the CPUs, and the RAM.

Which leaves the power supply. Is there anything I shouldn't buy?
Is there anything that's a must-have?
Don't I need a fan? I'd like something as silent as I can afford (my budget is clearly limited, but feel free to go insane, at least I'll learn about the features).

Also, what's your setup like?

I also found this: http://thierrylaurion.me/asus-kfsn4-dre-serverworkstation-board/
He's talking about a heatsink. Is it as a replacement?
Is it really worth it (besides his aquarium project)?

Last but not least, your experiences with Libreboot on this board:
- does it still have a long delay on boot?
- does it still have issues with usb peripherals?
- anything else you experienced I should know?

Personally, I found out that a USB external audio card being plugged in on boot prevented Libreboot from starting up on an X200 (docked, at least).
I need to unplug it, and plug it back before unlocking the drive the second time (you know, having to put the same passphrase twice).
Note that I got rid of pulseaudio and strictly use alsa and jack (via qjackctl and alsamixer).
I'll tell the Libreboot team when I'll figure out how to get back on their IRC node (last time I was banned (automatically) because I pasted some logs massively (I thought it would make one post instead of one per line... ).

lembas

Don't be too cheap with the power supply. Bad power makes for strange effects and could fry your other parts. As for what brand to select or avoid my knowledge is ancient.

You'll need a heatsink and probably also a fan. Unless you're building something that creates very little heat. A CPU without a heatsink+fan might fry very fast or at least shutdown automatically as the heat gets too high.

Note that different parts use different sockets so plan accordingly. :)

hack and hack

Thanks for the info lembas, much appreciated!

hack and hack

Besides what I already found on the forum, any more experience with this board anyone?

As for fans, it seems CPU's might come with one heatsink for each.
Yet the manual talks about locations to plug 4 fans in.
This sounds like a lot. Do I need all 4??
And does the Smart fan technology from ASUS works with free software (meaning, should I get ASUS fans that support the feature)?

It seems picking a well isolated case can help reduce noise, btw. Silent fans seems to be a possibility.

I'm still thinking of starting off rather cheap, so if I don't HAVE TO get 4 fans, I won't.

hack and hack

It looks like it's the cheapest compatible case I can find (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854018&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=393856...), which costs just as much as the mother board :(

2 fans included, but no power supply. Most likely would cost just as much... And still no RAM nor CPU spent on.
It would be hard to get something with strong performance for less than 500.

My goal is to have something as silent as possible (hopefully less than the X200).
Water cooling (in kit) seems like an option, but that's some more budget, and it would be only for one CPU, not the whole system. So I'd probably use the stock fans at first if I get this case.

Any input welcomed, as usual.

hack and hack

It seems there is free software fan control (for GPU), but it seems it depends on the owned hardware.
See here https://askubuntu.com/questions/22108/how-to-control-fan-speed

It should be mostly about the motherboard, and the GPU fan.
but what to look for? Is knowing that nouveau supports the GPU enough (what about the mobo)?
This (https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/PowerManagement/) seems to indicate that Power Management is still a work in progress for some GPU.
I know about a case having PWN. Can this be controlled by free software? This PWM thing seems to be directly related to the software.

Else there's something like this, which supposedly only rely on hardware (and me checking the temp).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992012&cm_re=FAN_CONTROLLER-_-11-992-012-_-Product

Lembas, thanks to your advice, I'm picking the power supply last. It seems in needs to be powered not only to the mobo, but to the GPU as well. Thanks to h-node, and the nouveau website, I found (way) better and cheaper.

There should be two case fans, the GPU fan(s), the power supply's fan (not sure I should mess with this one, and the CPU's ones.

What I get is that GPU fan control might not be mature yet, but in theory I should be able to handle PWM with free software.
Can anyone confirm (or not)?

hack and hack

Is there a specific kind of CMOS to pick (EDIT: answer is CR2032 lithium 3V, it seems to be standard)?

If the BIOS chip is new, would I be able to boot, or do I need to install from a floppy disk the proprietary BIOS first? (EDIT: no, I most likely won't be).

I got my mobo without any of these. EDIT: I might have the BIOS chip though. Hopefully it's configured.

I will probably have to install the bios on a floppy disk from windows (how am I gonna connect a floppy reader on a laptop, no idea), and then install it. Then boot from a liveUSB, and flash Libreboot. Maybe there's a simpler way. I'll have to get back on the #librebot if I can.
EDIT: On #libreboot, I got some help, suggesting that I can hot-swap the chip. Yeah it was in the wiki, but when you don't know what it is exactly, it's very easy to skip.

hack and hack

Ok, on #libreboot, no one is able to answer me, besides the the info that this board has not been fully tested yet.

Lilos posted a thread (closed now, very practical) about several issues, like not being able to boot with 2 CPUs, USB keyboard not working, the PC not booting from the GPU ("fully" supported by Nouveau, I checked), and the HDD not recognized.

So I have no idea if updates since may solve these issues or not.

So it's safe to say: don't purchase for now.
I have one, but now I really hesitate in purchasing the rest of the hardware until I have more info.

Now, since it's supported by Coreboot, normally most of it should work with libreboot, right?
So worst case, I can still use the proprietary BIOS (or better, Coreboot, so less blobs), until hopefully Libreboot catches up. Worst case, well, that purchase could become a bad decision :_(

lilos

Hi board work perfect i use it evryday with gtx 650.
I use coreboot with sea bios libreboot have boot lag of 30 sec.
Old problem are fixed.

P.S coreboot do not have blobs for this board!Just build with no microcode.

hack and hack

Hi, thank you lilos!

When you say "Old problems are fixed", you mean Libreboot fixed the problems you had initially, and that all that remains is the 30s boot lag?

About Coreboot:
So I take the source from here (https://www.coreboot.org/downloads.html), and not the blobs, right?

Any tips on the configuration you used? (https://www.coreboot.org/Build_HOWTO)
I guess I should compile for x64.

But other than that, there are sections about AMD boards (NIC firmware, AMD IMC, AMD XHCI) and VGA support (https://www.coreboot.org/VGA_support).
Are all these microcode/blobs? Can I safely ignore them?

Thanks again, now I have some hope!

lilos

Yes old problems are fixed only this 30 sec lag is there.
Yes build coreboot with no microcode, x64 is ok.

AMD boards (NIC firmware, AMD IMC, AMD XHCI)

NIC firmware i think this is in other rom .
XHCI this is only for usb 3.0 so no wory.
Libreboot old fork of coreboot for this board.

hack and hack

Much appreciated, thanks again lilos.

hack and hack

Bad planning led to this: I can fit 2 fans+heatsinks (over the 2 CPUs), but those who fit are super noisy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKWhB15Pm4E).

Some quiter fans+heatsinks exist, but one barely fits, and if I want to fit 2 of these, I can only put a fan on each side (one blowing air for both side by side heatsinks, one sucking the air out of the two side by side heatsinks).
Not sure it would work (twice the heat for nearly half the airflow), since the recommended setup for one heatsink is one fan (minimum) blowing air, not sucking air.

What would you do in this situation?
1. use two 6 cores CPU with very noisy server fans+heatsinks
2. use one 6 cores CPU with a silent fan+heatsink
3. try the 2 silent fans setup described above (most likely won't work well)?
4. Try the 2 silent fans but with both fans on the external sides, blowing air inside (against each other). But that would mean that the hot air would go in between the heatsinks, where there's like 1 cm of space between the two. Bad airflow, I might have to add fans to the side of the case or something.

I feel more like going for n°2 because:
- (much?) less noise
- 2x6 cores? Who needs this much? I see it's worth it for Handbrake for example (though one 6 cores should suffice), what can it be useful for as well?

N°4 is now also an option, and a nice compromise between silence and power.
But I'll have to check. Not sure it's a good idea.

I'm hesitating because:
- I already have two CPUs, and it feels weird using only one when I have 2 spots available.

For now, 1 CPU is most likely enough. So I can go with the more quiet fan.
But wanting to use 2 CPUs just because I can, and definitely no wanting server-like noises, having 2 quiet CPUs blowing air towards each other is an option, but definitely no optimal since they kinda cancel each other.

One last option would be to put only a heatsink on the second CPU (it should fit), thus using air from the quiet CPU fan. But that would work only with solid additional case fans from the side or something.
Specially since the air from the CPU fan would hit the single heatsink sideways (the air not going inside).

So basically, is one 6 cores CPU enough even for high-end tasks?
And is there a solid solution for using two CPUs silently?

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Multi-threaded (aka parallel) applications take advantage of several cores... but, currently, almost no desktop application is multi-threaded. Mozilla, with its dozens of developers, is only starting to split Firefox into *two* processes: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis

Going sequential to multi-thread means rewriting code. And the new code is much harder to write. And not all tasks benefit from parallelizing in the first place.

Notice however that several cores allow to perform several heavy tasks (such as transcoding) and still have a reactive system: launching one more application will be fast as long as at least one core still is mostly idle. But that is not common on a desktop system. That is why I would say four cores already is many (again: for a *desktop* system).

hack and hack

I see, so with 6 cores, I'd have plenty.
It's definitely going to be a desktop system, nothing with many VMs or simultaneous connections.

Besides having an empty CPU spot feeling itchy,
I'll probably go with the "1 CPU, 1 quiet fan/heatsink" (gotta check the measurements again).

If I really need another CPU later, I can probably add a simple watercooling solution (quiet enough, and easier to fit). But that would cost a bit more, and I hope it's relatively maintenance free.

I'll definitely start "small" for now. Thanks for the Magic help of yours http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/funny/2/banana.gif

hack and hack

I'll just add this option here if someone has the same issue:
I decided to try a silent heatsink+fan, and for the second CPU a noisy one (much much cheaper).
That's a Noctua http://noctua.at/en/nh-u12do-a3/specification
and a Dynatron F661.

Because I found out I can disable a CPU at will:
either in the GRUB config (so every time I restart, I keep the noisy CPU+fan turned off),
or with a command that can fire it up or shut it down.

That way, I can get more brainzpowa (with the added noise) only when needed. Hell, maybe even running both might be silent enough.

I have yet to try, so hopefully I didn't made a mistake on my calculations for the space needed on the mobo for both.

Worst case, it doesn't fit and I'd have lost 20 bucks, but I doubt it. It should work.

Btw, since in i3wm all shortcuts are a combination of keystrokes, is there a software I can use to add single keystroke shortcuts/commands?
Like using F1 for toggling CPU number 2 on/off?

jxself

I have been thinking about swapping out the CPU heatsinks on my KFSN4-DRE with something like http://www.cwc-group.com/3uk8.html because the ones I originally purchased (which are http://www.cwc-group.com/s2k6fmcs04gp.html) are very loud.

hack and hack

Yes, 50dBA must be very loud. It seems anything more than 20 is considered loud.

You better be sure about using passive cooling. It was about smaller heatsinks, but reviews said it wasn't cooling at all.
But it might work at this size maybe.
Just in case, I'd make sure that the case airflow would go through it. If the front fans can reach them, it might be just fine. I'm not sure two of these would fit side by side though.

hack and hack

I might have made (another) small mistake : my CPU has a TDP of 137, which the Noctua cooler supports.
But I can't find any data about the Dynatron.

One thing I will try is to use the second Noctua fan (which I didn't plan to use since I'm out of space) in front of the Dynatron, as a support fan.

But I need to figure out how to immobilize it without glue (or anything definitive).
With some luck, I can set it up directly on the case.

Well, worst case I'd just use one CPU, can't be that bad.

hack and hack

Back for more stupidity on my part...
here's yet another example of bad planning:
I didn't expect my graphic card to be long enough to COVER one of the CPU slots...

How hard can it be to measure the whole thing before buying extra stuff I'll never need, like another CPU and another fan/cooler?

*sigh* At least the info might help others.

hack and hack

After asking on #coreboot and #libreboot (no answers on #git) :

First, I was told that if I have nothing like microcode.bin listed, then it "should" be fine. Like the person was not very sure of it.

I still have no idea whether git clone is reliable enough.

Else, I need to try and contact tpearson. 3 options :
1 - fix USB support on Seabios. Waste of effort since encryption of /boot/ is impossible.

2 - install Libreboot. But no /boot/ encryption.
I also need to use MBR or GPT with a proper boot sector on the HHD (because it's Seabios). Not sure what this means yet.

3 - Fix GRUB's USB issue. Maybe I can live with it, I have to try. Probably what I'll try first, since I've already compiled the rom.

4 - use Petitboot. it looks tough because it's supposed to fit linux+coreboot deblobbed+petitboot payload on a 2MiB chip (extra small expenses, without guarantee). I'm supposed to uncheck everything possible in menuconfig. I'll have to also compress the payload with LZMA.
Thanks uboot for the tutorial you've linked above somewhere.

My best bet is to focus on GRUB. No need to rush for Libreboot since I do want full-disk encryption.
I'll ask tpearson about Petitboot if I want to try it, and if the tutorial isn't enough.

Man, it takes a lot of work to have freedom the way I want to. I'm amazed I didn't give up yet.

EDIT: fixing what I wrote about chip size. 8Mb is 1MiB, so I have the proper chip for either Libreboot or Coreboot with GRUB2 (I hope so).
And basically, if I get GRUB to work, and the USB issue is acceptable, I'll stick to this, and maybe help fixing USB on GRUB.

There's also this for the K8 version of the board (not mine) : https://mail.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2016-August/081944.html

All that's left is to try and hope for the best. And email tpearson, forgot about that.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

8 Mb actually is 0.953674316 MiB.

hack and hack

True, though I was referring to the chip size (the "official" size).

EDIT: I couldn't flash the new chip because I made the build with n image size of 8388608 B, whereas the chip size is actually 1048576 B.

So instead of 8 MB, I should select 1 MB. So 1MB = 1MiB?
(EDIT: my chip size is 1024 kb. so 1mb, so X MiB).

And now it fails to build:
GEN generated/bootblock.ld
CP bootblock/arch/x86/bootblock.ld
FMAP build/util/cbfstool/fmaptool -h build/fmap_config.h build/fmap.fmd build/fmap.fmap
syntax error
FATAL: Failed while processing provided descriptor
make: *** [build/fmap.fmap] Erreur 4

Let's do it all over again then.
I see some libraries are missing, so grub-mount isn't even installed.
Problematic for mounting encrypted drives I guess. I'll add the missing libraries (it's the dev versions, but couldn't find libzfs) and try again, just in case.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

So 1MB = 1MiB?

No:

• 1MB = 1,000 * 1,000 = 1,000,000 bytes = 8 * 1,000,000 = 8,000,000 bits;
  • 1MiB = 1,024 * 1,024 = 1,048,576 bytes = 8 * 1048576 = 8,388,608 bits.

That said, until the late 90s, nobody was using "MiB" as a unit. "MB" actually meant today's "MiB". Marketers redefined "MB" to sell hard drives that were larger in appearance (the number was greater). That said, computer scientists had redefined "kilo" (that means 1,000, not 1,024) and the subsequent multiples. Separate words probably are less confusing... but that is not Microsoft's opinion. Windows' file manager still writes "MB" to mean "MiB".

hack and hack

Thanks Magic Banana :)Ah, so B stands for bytes.

lilos

Board can`t boot from usb and i wonder is there some good sata to iso hardware emulator like xbox360 hardware cd-rom emulator.

Is anyone tryed to enable NVIDIA Kepler Re-Clocking on devuan with linux-libre 4.10 ?

cat /sys/kernel/debug/ -- > and nothing after debug... any idea ?

nouveau.pstate=1 no need for kernel > 4.5

cat /sys/class/drm/card0/ but no pstate there ?

card0-DVI-D-1/ card0-HDMI-A-1/ device/ subsystem/
card0-DVI-I-1/ dev

Here is my boot kernel parametar:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.10.8-gnu root=UUID=9564c0ff-a75b-4e9c-8922-0abe50da1cbb nouveau.config=NvBoost=2

My mesa ver from devuan testing is :

glxinfo | grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: nouveau
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on NVE7
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 13.0.6
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.30
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 13.0.6
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

hack and hack

Regarding USB booting, I used an old optical drive instead.
Good enough for me. Same for the slow USB keyboard on GRUB, I'll just plug a PS2 keyboard when I'll (rarely) need to.
Of course, if it's super slow when I type my passphrase, that's a real problem then (unless I find a good, silent ps2 keyboard).

Kepler is about the GPU? Unfortunately I don't have this one.

hack and hack

OK, so I flashed Coreboot with GRUB2 (got the "verified" message, and removed the CMOS for a few minutes).

Problem:
I find myself directly in grub rescue I think.
ls displays "(memdisk) (ata4) (ata6) (ata8) (ata0) (ata0,msdos1)".
typing boot says I need to load the kernel first.
The liveCD is active, but I don't know which command to use precisely.

here https://askubuntu.com/questions/884814/how-to-get-out-of-grub-rescue-and-install-windows it says:
If you are using a bootable USB and you still get to grub rescue it means you are not booting from your USB at all. First of all you need to find out why you are not able to boot from your USB and fix that.
After this you should boot from the Ubuntu live CD and format the hard disk

Now I only have the CD inserted, no liveUSB.

Basically, I can't boot from the liveCD, I only get directly to grub rescue.

EDIT:
Following this https://askubuntu.com/questions/220741/grub-rescue-doesnt-allow-me-to-boot-from-live-cd-usb
I tried to type exit, but then nothing happens and I can't type anything until I reboot.

The other possibility is a lack of boot order configuration.
IF that's the real issue, I'll have to find out how to do that.

What else can I do?

EDIT2:
Ah, indeed, a grub.cfg file seems to be lacking.
grub> prompt: GRUB 2 loaded modules but was unable to find the grub.cfg file.
from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Troubleshooting

So it's not grub rescue exactly.

What I can try is to put a grub.cfg file on a thumbdrive and point grub to it.
But I have no idea what to put in it in order for the liveCD to boot.

Ah, this https://www.coreboot.org/GRUB2 says I can put a basic .cfg file (I can use the one from Libreboot).
I can insert it in the room it seems. Hopefully that will be enough for the liveCD to boot.

This https://libreboot.org/docs/gnulinux/grub_cbfs.html explains further how a .cfg file is what brings the menu up.
I think there's an option there to boot from a liveCD, so provided I can add a cfg file, this should work.

hack and hack

Ok,
after all the efforts, still the same result.
Attached is the grub.cfg I've added to the coreboot rom image. I think I got it from Libreboot.

I searched for a while about a way to boot the liveCD from grub> , but no success, even if I identified the optical drive.

Point being, if the menu fails to be displayed, I'd rather focus on fixing the grub config instead of trying to boot with a faulty config.

As usual, any hint appreciated.
I'll tone down the complaining since it doesn't make anything happen anyway. I'll try only patience and persistence instead.

For example, I see this in one of the links I've posted:
"When GRUB is built for coreboot it looks for its runtime configuration in the file etc/grub.cfg within the CBFS. If this is missing it will provide a limited console only."

but I see no such etc folder listed in the rom.
I have no idea if I can flash a folder etc with grub inside. here's the current contents of my rom:
~/coreboot_grub_integration/libreboot_r20160907_util/cbfstool/x86_64$ ./cbfstool coreboot.rom print
Performing operation on 'COREBOOT' region...
Name Offset Type Size
cbfs master header 0x0 cbfs header 32
fallback/romstage 0x80 stage 94828
fallback/ramstage 0x17380 stage 87283
config 0x2c8c0 raw 257
revision 0x2ca00 raw 570
cmos.default 0x2cc80 cmos_default 256
cmos_layout.bin 0x2cdc0 cmos_layout 2672
fallback/dsdt.aml 0x2d880 raw 9962
fallback/payload 0x2ffc0 payload 409010
grub.cfg 0x93dc0 raw 4627
(empty) 0x95040 null 435992
bootblock 0xff780 bootblock 1832

hack and hack

OK, inserting a folder named etc with grub.cfg inside worked.

But (aside from having question marks in place of missing icons like arrows), when I try to boot from CD, I get this message:
error: 'file/boot/grub/i386-coreboot/gfxterm_background.mod' not found.

Forgot to import the grub file I added to the rom, so here it is. Named the extension as .txt for importing on the forum.

So, according to this grub config file I got from Libreboot,
Here's what's happening when selecting the entry to boot from optical drive:
function try_isolinux_config {
set root="${1}"
for dir in '' /boot; do
if [ -f "${dir}"/isolinux/isolinux.cfg ]; then
syslinux_configfile -i "${dir}"/isolinux/isolinux.cfg
elif [ -f "${dir}"/syslinux/syslinux.cfg ]; then
syslinux_configfile -s "${dir}"/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
fi
done
}

If I get it right, it's looking for a /boot/ folder, which doesn't exist since there's nothing installed on the hard drives.
But since it's looking inside the iso, well, it seems it's not here either.

AttachmentSize
grub.txt 4.52 KB
hack and hack

Maybe it's simpler if I do a quick install on the drive with the proprietary BIOS first.
In theory, I'd be able to boot. From there I can try to reinstall.

lilos

You can install on other PC then change HDD no problem if you use standart kernel and mesa.

hack and hack

Ah, the #coreboot channel was helpful again:
I learned that LiveCDs can only boot directly from UEFI or BIOS.

So the best option is to boot manually (there are options with seabios involved, but I want to keep it simple).
I seems I need to point to the path to the kernel image + kernel parameters and the path to the initrd.
I know where initrd.img is.
The kernel image and parameters? I don't even know what these are (maybe vmlinuz).

Plus I'm not sure of the syntax.
It could look like that (with differentpaths), but where do I find kernel parameters?
grub> set root=(optical drive)
grub> linux /vmlinuz root=path_to_vmlinuz_I_suppose
grub> initrd /initrd.img
grub> boot

These links might help:
https://www.linux.com/learn/how-rescue-non-booting-grub-2-linux
https://askubuntu.com/questions/21342/how-can-i-load-ubuntu-when-all-i-have-is-grub

The other suggested option is to chainload to isolinux.
I just found out how: with a menu entry. I need to get the path to isolinux though.

hack and hack

Ok, so it seems it accepts this, but it's stuck at the boot command:
grub> set root='(optical drive)'
grub> linux /path_to/vmlinuz root=/path_to/vmlinuz
grub> initrd /path_to/initrd.img
grub> boot

replace /path_to with /live, since this is where the files are on the Debian LiveCD.
If there's a mistake, it's on the second line, starting from root=. Not sure what to put there.
I also tried /dev/ instead, according to the tutorials posted above. I don't know how liveCDs work, so I don't know where the root=path should be.

I'll try chainloading isolinux.bin.
My best bet, and last chance for now.
I did this in grub.cfg (after checking it's the right path):
menuentry 'Debian LiveCD' {
set root='(ata0)'
echo 'Debian LiveCD ...'
chainloader /isolinux/isolinux.bin
}

EDIT: "error: unrecognized payload type." What?
I found this, though it doesn't really help https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2/Chainloading

EDIT:
Maybe I'll try that instead:
Chainloading a disk/drive
set root=hdX
chainloader +1
boot

from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Chainloading_a_disk.2Fdrive

hack and hack

Ok, forget chainloading, it needs the BIOS (and I want to boot from Coreboot with GRUB2) (thanks to #coreboot for the info).

As kindly suggested on #coreboot, I tried:
set root=(ata0) (I also tried '(ata0)')
linux /live/vmlinuz boot=live components quiet splash
initrd /live/initrd.img
boot

MAINBOARD_DO_NATIVE_VGA_INIT or FRAMEBUFFER_KEEP_VESA_MODE: nothing like that is enabled in menuconfig (besides "use onboard VGA as primary video device", which is selected by default).

The main problem her is that the boot command (just like the exit command) make GRUB2 freez/hang: no keyboard action is possible afterwards.

I might try the other GRUB version possible in menuconfig maybe (git instead of HEAD).

Why GRUB would freeze like that?

EDIT:
I just tried with the other GRUB2 (git revision) available from menuconfig. Same result.

I'll have to find a simple grub.cfg file, maybe libreboot's grub.cfg whiich I'm using is geared differently.

Else I might have to compile GRUB.

I don't know what to do.

hack and hack

Far from perfect, but I managed to configure the rom so grub is chainloaded from Seabios, as advised.
https://mail.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2015-January/079145.html

And I managed to boot into text install (gotta pick up vmlinuz and initd in the install folder instead of live folder, which would directly boot on the live desktop (no selection menu).

Minor issues:
There's no way to reach GRUB if I boot with the liveCD inside. (possible fix : a boot order file, but for Seabios?)
And I do have a 30 seconds delay, though it's the lates Coreboot rom. How come ? (possible fix : a config file on the libreboot page, about bootblock it seems)
Also my GRUB is lacking some kind of font since question marks are there instead of arrows and the frame. (possible fix: check the content of the Libreboot rom).
Else I didn't try to boot with an external soundcard plugged in yet.

So for now it's kind of OK, since it works, and I should be able to install with full-disk encryption. But if you know how to fix those minor issues, I'm interested.

Maybe a better method would be to use Libreboot and chainload Seabios from it : no need to reinvent the wheel, specially since Corboot (being at the latest version) doesn't seem to bring anything new for this board.

hack and hack

Back at it, Seabios doesn't go automatically to GRUB anymore. I have to hit ESC, which only now displays a list (GRUB included). I better get the right timing, else it attempts to boot from hard disk, ans since there's nothing there, my only option is to reboot (ESC is ineffective at this point)...

I didn't change anything since last time, so I don't know why it displays the list now. But this calls for some Seabios tweaking since I want it to reach the payload by default.

Anyway,
some questions remain:
- can I create an arbitrarily named mount point for a drive, like /data? Seems I can.
- can I install without internet connection? Seems so.
- Can I unify all my disks with a single LUKS passphrase while assigning a specific mount point to a specific volume groupe/physical volume? (seems I can for the last part)

I guess I'll just go by trial and error. New disks, no erasing, so not much time involved.

hack and hack

OK, So one single large partition on each 3 drives, but they're taken as 3 different volumes, which is fine.
Put in practice, it does mean three passphrases.

Since I found no simple guide to do this, I'll just try and see if putting the same passphrase for the 3 drives is gonna prompt trice. Hopefully not.

hack and hack

OK, now the install is all done (although it was without internet connection, so a few things are missing).

And now, surprise: cryptomount -a doesn't work.
After recovering from my hopes being crushed, I tried to ask the web. No answer.

it says:
"error: file '/boot/grub/i386-coreboot/cryptodisk.mod' not found"

It crypto-makes no sense to me. Though I've seen a similar error above (I think).
EDIT: Yeah, thought so. Maybe those files are integrated to the Libreboot rom, but not the Coreboot one, which I'm using. On my working PC, I have those files but the folder is named /i386-pc.

Since this is what is in the x200 libreboot rom for comparison, I see no grub folder:
cbfs master header 0x0 cbfs header 32
config 0x80 raw 357
revision 0x240 raw 560
cmos.default 0x4c0 cmos_default 256
cmos_layout.bin 0x600 cmos_layout 1944
fallback/dsdt.aml 0xe00 raw 13374
bootorder 0x42c0 raw 15
etc/show-boot-menu 0x4340 raw 8
etc/ps2-keyboard-spinup 0x4380 raw 8
lbversion 0x43c0 raw 10
grub.cfg 0x4440 raw 2679
(empty) 0x4f00 null 1944
grubtest.cfg 0x56c0 raw 4615
background.jpg 0x6900 raw 15173
(empty) 0xa480 null 23256
fallback/romstage 0xff80 stage 55380
fallback/ramstage 0x1d840 stage 65909
fallback/payload 0x2da00 payload 60319
img/grub2 0x3c600 payload 579230
(empty) 0xc9d00 null 7547864
bootblock 0x7fc900 bootblock 1480

hack and hack

Most likely solution is to add missing modules to grub, like cryptodisk.mod at least (thanks to the people at #coreboot. Hey, did the guys at Twitter get the # thing from irc?).

I need to modify the Kconfig file before rebuilding grub, and re-insert it in the rom, which I need to reflash.
I'll add some more, maybe that's why grub has "?" instead of the usual frame.

It might have cost me the whole day, but at least most of the install is done. hopefully this is the last main hurdle.

I'd really like to configure Seabios to boot directly into grub, if possible. There must be at least a boot order config.

hack and hack

Back at this soul eating project: adding "cryptodisk" to GRUB2_EXTRA_MODULES failed.

Plus I accidentally erased my proprietary chip/rom.
Thankfully, I can boot the liveCD from the SeaBIOS rom, so I can still fix it.

I thought I need to add the .mod extension, but it doesn't seem I need to.

I have an idea: I can try and find the grub2.elf file from my working libreboot laptop, and put it inside the rom instead.

Wait. Where is it looking for the .mod files?
The disk is encrypted, and I need the cryptodisk.mod to open it.
It's supposed to be in /boot/grub/i386-pc/.

Can you confirm this might be related to the fact that /boot is encrypted?
If so, what can I do? I basically locked myself out, and the key is inside.
I could break in from the LiveCD, but what to do there?

Help please!

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

Oh my! Necroing. Not 'calmstorm'.
What has this forum become?
I'm shocked. I'm gone now! :P

hack and hack

;)

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that installing grub.cfg from inside (chrooting) will solve the problem.

This is a tough one...

Hopefully this will be enough
https://trisquel.info/en/forum/netinsall-tty-apt-get-update-not-working?page=1#comment-99014

hack and hack

OK, next episode: I learned about lsmod and insmod (or modprobe). no kryptodisk.mod, nor crypto.mod nor luks.mod isn't in the GRUB image I've built.

That is despite me writing cryptodisk as a module to add before building.

A couple of nice links to better understand GRUB modules (that stuff isn't easy to find, for some reason):
http://dcjtech.info/topic/grub-modules/
http://moi.vonos.net/linux/Booting_Linux_on_x86_with_Grub2/#module-loading

EDIT:
compiling GRUB from source gave me access to cryptomount.
Now to get rid of the bootorder thing, I'll try compiling SeaBIOS from source (the one in Coreboot has a liveCD display issue), and compile Coreboot with GRUB, from which I'll launch SeaBIOS.
I'll still have the arrows and frame icons missing I suspect though.

Also, about LVM: it's hard to find out what to decrypt, since I have several drives, and none worked (not found).