firefox

13 replies [Last post]
mrbrklyn

Is there anyway of getting firefox with apget

?

strypey

In Trisquel, the defaut browser is ABrowser, which is basically just Firefox without the branding (with a few dodgy bits removed and some privacy/ security add-ons added). GNU IceCat, another rebranded and modified fork of Firefox is available using apt-get. Is there a reason you particularly need the Firefox branded version of the program?

mrbrklyn

Thanks. How can I install firefox with aptget. I had to download it from mozilla.

ADFENO

Also, one must note that free/libre software activists won't be able to
help in this case because it's non-(free/libre) software, so perhaps
it's best for all those involved if you do stay with Abrowser or IceCat.

If you want, you can also install IceCat from Guix package manager,
although the one from Trisquel seems to be currently more up-to-date. :D
--
* https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
* Palestrante e consultor sobre software livre (não confundir com
gratis).
* "WhatsApp"? Ele não é livre, por isso não uso. Iguais a ele prefiro
Ring, ou Tox. Quer outras formas de contato? Adicione o vCard que
está no endereço acima aos teus contatos.
* Pretende me enviar arquivos .doc, .ppt, .cdr, ou .mp3? OK, eu
aceito, mas não repasso. Entrego apenas em formatos favoráveis ao
software livre. Favor entrar em contato em caso de dúvida.
* "People said I should accept the world. Bullshit! I don't accept the
world."
--- Richard Stallman

mrbrklyn

Your not really qualified to give that answer, actually, and after writing and using free software for nearly 3 decades, I'm not really feeling up to explaining it to you. If you don't know the answer, then don't do around passing misinformation.

dirkme

Can ABrowser take addons like lastpass?

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

It can. But you should not run LastPass if you value your freedoms. We had this conversion one week ago: https://trisquel.info/forum/new-trisquel-audio-flickering-between-speaker-and-audio-jack#comment-110168

mrbrklyn

can I add a repository?

gnulux

Hello everybody,

If someone wants to use Firefox, they ought to use Debian. Iceweasel is now Firefox in Debian because Mozilla has changed its rules or whatever regarding their logo. This is my understanding that the logo is free now. I may be wrong of course.

If Abrowser is Firefox with some changes made in about:config, then you only need to turn off DRM in Firefox through about:config.
Not everything is good in Abrowser: for instance the built-in PDF reader ought to be turned off by default because of the risks inherent in JS (see huge exploit not so long ago).

If Abrowser has some different code inside, then it’s better to use Abrowser. Yet, if you want more privacy, you’ll need to make changes in Abrowser about:config.

Privacy is also part of freedom, IMHO.

The possibility of adding ubuntu repositories to Trisquel makes this distro not so very different from Debian when you think of it, even if the Trisquel repositories are totally separate from the Ubuntu one, whereas the Debian nonfree repositories are on the same servers (or at least belong to same domain).
Yet adding ubuntu repos or worse any kind of ppa isn’t a good idea, for obvious reasons.

ADFENO

This is why I recommend people to use Guix package manager, instead of
adding custom PPAs.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

What does it mean for a logo (a notion relating to the trademark law) to be "free" (a notion relating to tyhe copyright law)?

Does Mozilla's trademark now authorize for-profit redistribution of exact copies of the binaries?

jxself

"Does Mozilla's trademark now authorize for-profit redistribution of exact copies of the binaries?"

No, Mozilla's trademark policy is unchanged in that regard.

Legimet

Not the official Mozilla binaries.

jxself

"Not the official Mozilla binaries"

Or indeed not even the unofficial Mozilla binaries that you compile yourself. (This is the "If you compile Mozilla unmodified source code (including code and config files in the installer) and do not charge for it..." part of their policy.)

The only way you can is via modification to remove the name & logo and make a modified version (like Abrowser.)

But charging for exact copies (which is part of freedom #2) has never been possible whether you use the "official Mozilla binaries" or compile exact copies of those yourself.