GNUinOS

21 replies [Last post]
Gottfried

Hi,

I had to install Gnuinos because my laptop didn’t support Trisquel 10.

Do the people who develop Gnuinos work together with those of Trisquel
or are those completely different people (mainly based in Spain?)
who build Gnuinos on Devuan?
--
Kind regards

Gottfried

prospero

Gnuinos is a completely separate project to Trisquel.

Not sure how many people are working on Gnuinos, but at least one of them is a member of this forum: https://trisquel.info/en/users/aitor.

Gnu
Gnu

The live version with openbox is fantastic, I didn't know the simple-netaid software, wonderful! It's a pity that it doesn't appear in the Trisquel repositories. I hope Gnuinos gets on the FSF list soon.

prospero

Gnuinos is clearly going to be a highly valuable option for 32-bit machines, now that Trisquel 9 is approaching end of support.

fiorile

LXDE is not slowing things that much, it is only Openbox with a PCManFM instance in the back for the desktop and wallpaper, I bet the panel does not consume much resources either.
Openbox without tools is not very accessible :/

prospero

It is indeed not easy to beat Trisquel Mini in terms of resource consumption, for a system coming out of the box with a DE.

I am also getting interesting results with the Gnuinos Xfce live ISO, but I believe this should go in the General Free Software Talk.

Gnu
Gnu

Seeing how fast the Gnuinos "live.iso" is, maybe Trisquel-mini "live" should have a WM instead of a DE.

Hikaru

I will try Gnuinos on me other computer!

Gnu
Gnu

I was thinking of something like "JWM" with software like simple-netaid to connect to a wireless network. Personally I use "ratpoison" and there are no alternatives for me.

Avron

I am a translator!

What I am usually missing when using a window manager without a DE is configuration tools for screen resolution, volume control, keyboard layout, language and regional settings. Many apps are not convenient without a kind of system tray but stalonetray does the trick.

If you use stalonetray, nm-applet is fine to setup wireless (or any kind of) network, but without it, nmtui also does the job fine in a terminal.

For screen resolution, lxrandr is a little basic but it works even without running LXDE. I sometimes used the mate tool too but I remember having some issues. For volume control, keyboard layout, language and regional settings, I still don't know any good solution.

I never tried ratpoison, I tried herbstluftwm but found it too complicated. I don't think I can be comfortable with a tiling window manager, I am using the mouse too much.

Gnu
Gnu

I do everything with the terminal and I feel very comfortable. The question is that the "mini" version (I suppose refers to the word minimalist( is not very different from the MATE versions (is it much faster?), for me the "mini" version does not make much sense while a super light version with WM and applications like nmtui (of course) could be more useful. The version with OPENBOX of GNUinOS seemed to me a very fast and comfortable "live" and I thought that Trisquel-MINI would have to be more similar to this one. Too bad GNUinOS is not yet certified by the FSF. I hope it's just a question of time and not technique or ethical.

PublicLewdness

I love GNUinOS but I have had some bad experiences. Not just with it but Deuvan as well. Seems my systems always stop booting after a week or so of use. I'll keep trying though as the option to ditch SystemD is a nice one.

andyprough

Try the GNUinOS Daedalus (testing) XFCE live ISO. I've had much better experience with it than with any of the Chimaera (stable) ISO's.

aitor

I updated daedalus images yesterday, including linux-libre-6.1.28 and Icecat-102.11.0

@PublicLewdness: concerning to those possible bugs in chimaera, bear in mind that gnuinos chimaera uses vdev as default device manager (you can change to eudev after the hard disk installation if you wish), whereas gnuinos daedalus uses eudev so far. I don't know whether or not the issues you experienced were related to vdev; however, recently I've improved the behavior of libudev-compat with the eventfs integration (https://github.com/jcnelson/eventfs). Further info: https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=712&p=3

@Gottfried: as prospero has pointed out, trisquel and gnuinos are separate projects, and there is just one developer in the latter.

Gottfried

I was looking for GNUinOS forum, but I didn’t find.
So I found that I have to register at Devuan.

but I didn’t manage to register at Devuan Forum https://dev1galaxy.org/register.php
what can I do?
I don’t know how to use IRC?
Gottfried

andyprough

Why didn't you manage to register at the Devuan forum? prospero is a member there, maybe he can help you to get registered? I'm a member, but the admin has indicated that she despises me, so it's best not to get me to help you.

prospero

> the admin has indicated that she despises me

This is why we voted for David here. Resident chicken trolls do not get scorned. They just get corn.

andyprough

>"Resident chicken trolls do not get scorned. They just get corn."

It would be much better if we got scones. Scones taste so much better than corn, and I'm certain they are much healthier for you.

prospero

Scones sound very bourgeois, tea time indulging style.

As a resident wild boar, I mostly get acorns, and at times corned beef.

andyprough

Worldwide uprisings and worker revolutions always go better after a tasty snack of tea and scones.

escar_communiste.jpg
prospero

I believe you can contact aitor using the "Email" link that appears under the profile picture when you are connected to this forum, or the email address from the mailing list.

This thread should really move to the General Free Software Talk, although Gnuinos is arguably the closest thing to the new Trisquel Mini for 32-bit users, from next week on.

Lugodunos

Registration to this forum is tricky, I tried with TOR and it blocked things (only for registration, after registration, the forum can be used with TOR), so, I tried to register from another computer using another ISP and I don't know what happened but I was still blocked (maybe because all the settings where the same as when I tried to register with TOR), so, I had to use there chat and a kind member of there staff de-blocked my account, but I had to wait for the right person to do this, and it didn't even worked in the first try.