Libreboot X200 returns on Minifree

108 replies [Last post]
libreleah

I believe that Tiberiu is a good person. His actions with Technoethical and his non-profit foundation under it, is a good example of that. I also believe that he is capable of reason. I disagree with your assessment that my new attempt to negotiate peace with them will be futile. His company has an alliance with 2 other libreboot suppliers already, which is proof that he is capable of doing as I propose.

I'm 100% serious in my proposals. I will execute my end of the deal immediately, if the deal is agreed.

I just want to focus on my work, and not fight with anyone.

libreleah

Another idea: why not do a Christmas Giving Guide on libreboot.org, every year? Similar to the FSF one, but focused entirely on Libreboot (FSF one also covers other devices).

It would be basically a re-vamped suppliers page, published alongside it, with a link from the homepage in bold text.

It's probably too late to do one this year, but we could do it next year.

Tiberiu, I'm serious. I believe we would both be better served working with each other, instead of fighting. We could also go further beyond the agreement; for instance, if someone is asking about a product that one of us doesn't sell, we recommend the other supplier.

So for instance, Minifree doesn't sell the X200 Tablet. If someone asks about that, I'll tell them about your X200T product.

PS: This giving guide would also be useful once we get the mailing list back online. That has been shelved but it's on top priority list still. Imagine if hundreds of people saw such a message every year, where the guide is also published on the mailing list each year.

fbit

I am a member!

Sorry to change the subject but, does anyone know how to turn off thinkpad keyboard beeps on Libreboot? Thanks!

Technoethical

I am a member!

I believe that it's time to blow the whistle that again the voting system of the forum is being abused to hide posts and promote only one's view that has been repeated over and over again in a thread. Last time this censorship has prompted me and other colleagues to react and vote too in the thread about the T400s.

I've made the statements that needed to be made in response to the misinformation about Technoethical communicated on the Trisquel forum by someone that, contrary to all expectations, might still have some credibility left. Having done that, I believe it would be disrespectful to the Trisquel community and a waste of time for everyone to read and answer to the many recent puerile comments.

This looks like a good way to get this thread back on track:

fbit:
> Sorry to change the subject but, does anyone know how to turn off thinkpad keyboard beeps on Libreboot? Thanks!
https://trisquel.info/en/forum/libreboot-x200-returns-minifree?page=3#comment-124593

Tiberiu

Lain

Stop shitting up the forums with petty bickering between fsf certified companies selling overpriced laptops. Disgusting.

I. Khider

That wasn't a very Lain-like comment. Lain would be a bit more constructive in the Wired.

Besides, these laptops take time, resources, and effort to recondition and certify.

Laptops are underpriced in general, mostly off the backs of exploited labour and resources.
http://www.congoweek.org/en/coltan-facts.html
https://www.ukessays.com/essays/history/how-has-coltan-exploitation-affected-the-people-of-eastern-congo-history-essay.php

I. Khider

@vltr Thank you. I am more than likely not better than anyone else here. Probably the opoposite is true. Others here actually practice and I just preach.

I am not ethical, but want to be. It is in fact hard to be ethical, and this should not be so. It should be the easiest thing. I am weak and often compromise or participate in things when I know it causes harm, be it the environment, sweatshop labor or other things. I ask all of us to do our best. People give me gifts of computers powered by Intel and I accepted with humility and gratitude. But when I have a choice, I prefer to try to minimize harm. If a company I support does well, I try to ask they do the right thing. If I was an Apple customer, I would ask they not exploit manufacturning and use a tiny, tiny fraction of their billions to try right some wrongs. I am often an AMD client and they are quite sick of me as I keep asking them to respect Libre software. The best I can do is to try to raise awareness. People on this forum are better and more aware than average, even the ones I am at odds with. A lively thread this is! Buona Fortuna, we try to minimize harm and do our best, eh?

david

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Hello,

For days I've hoped that this thread would end up getting better and that a lesson could be learned from all that chaos, but I no longer think it's possible to get anything good from letting it grow even longer.

I've moved it from the Trisquel-users forum and I've locked it, but I have decided to keep it as it is so it stays as a testament of how bad things can get if we don't try to be better.

Please take this thread and its poor results for all involved into account when writing again at the forum. Not only because it doesn't help the whole community to read, participate or overall waste time in inconclusive discussions, but also because it's unlikely that anybody will come out from them looking as a better person and/or professional.

Let's be better than this.

Also, please, think about opening new forum threads when you want to talk/ask about something only tangentially related to the original subject. Otherwise, potentially useful information can easily get hidden.