11 replies [Last post]
Xmas

Translation from the french users forum :

Hello,

I introduce myself.

I am 60 years old; I am a journalist.
My first computer was a Macintosh SE in 1988. For 30 years, I have been an enthusiastic mac user. Long an ardent defender of Apple, my opinion changed, finding that I was in an increasingly closed world that was becoming a commercial ecosystem that was also being joined by the applications I was using, with the imposition of annual lifetime subscriptions or the succession of interest-free, if not counterproductive, paid updates.

At the same time, I became aware of the use of my personal data by Google, Facebook, etc. I have also become aware of the threat to democracy worldwide posed by the current evolution of data use.

A year ago, I made a radical shift. I left all social networks and switched to Gnu/Linux with free software.
My data is hosted in Switzerland by an independent hosting company that owns its servers.

I now use a PC with OpenSuse leap 15.1 which is mainly used for photo management.

Thanks to Magic Banana who kindly informed me about Trisquel, my main computer is now a Lenovo T400 with libreboot and Trisquel.

I also became a member of the FSF.

I am probably part of a new generation of gnu/linux users, without technical skills but with a lot of determination in their choice.

Xmas

loldier

Welcome. Nice introduction. Hope you like it here. Happy hacking.

https://invidio.us/watch?v=vD9VD6xT1FA

Beko

Welcome! We are in the same boat, I'm also quite new to GNU. There are many helpful people in the Trisquel forums that have helped me solve most of my problems going from Windows (Also used Mac) to GNU/Linux. I will help if it is within my ability.

Pablo G

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Hola

Para usuarios hispanohablantes tienes el foro en español.

saludos.

Here you should speak english

Greetings

Malsasa

On 9/30/19, name at domain <name at domain> wrote:
> Translation from the french users forum :
>
> Hello,
>
> I introduce myself.
>
> I am 60 years old; I am a journalist.

Welcome, and glad to know you.

> My first computer was a Macintosh SE in 1988. For 30 years, I have been an
> enthusiastic mac user. Long an ardent defender of Apple, my opinion changed,

Interesting, first time I hear a very long time Apple user to change
their opinion like this.

> A year ago, I made a radical shift. I left all social networks and switched
> to Gnu/Linux with free software.

Congratulations! And good luck.

> Thanks to Magic Banana who kindly informed me about Trisquel, my main
> computer is now a Lenovo T400 with libreboot and Trisquel.

Really nice. Love that.

> I also became a member of the FSF.
> I am probably part of a new generation of gnu/linux users, without technical
> skills but with a lot of determination in their choice.

Welcome once again!

nadebula.1984

Congratulations. Indeed, you are determined to switch to GNU/Linux, then any technical difficulty will be overcome.

(By contrast, some of my friends have some technical skills, but they strongly refuse to study anything. I won't offer any help to them, as those who refuse to study don't deserve freedom.)

Beko

Everyone deserves freedom!

Masaru Suzuqi -under review-

I think that merely because this forum is my favorite playground, I am here. Hence I feel that I have not much interest in that computer freedom, honestly. But it is my pleasure to welcome you to here, albeit here is not my personal property. Let us enjoy.

muhammed

Welcome to the club Xmas

PS Magic Banana is a great guy

Fenderbassist

Greetings and welcome, hope you are enjoying the experience.