PGP/GPG frontend for encrypt/decrypt

9 replies [Last post]
Trisquel-it

Hello,
I switched to Trisquel Mini (LXDE) 2 days ago. It's really impressive how well does it work. I thought I would have many problems with a free-software GNU/Linux distro, but it just work fine.

I'm using Dropbox to storage files (yes, I know it is not free software but I really need it) and I encrypt every file with my PGP key before upload them. On Gnome there is a seahorse plugin which allows to encrypt from the right-click menu. On XFCE I can create a custom right-click menu entry.
How can I manage it from a Graphical Frontend on Trisquel Mini? Do you have any suggestion? I can also use a program to encrypt, I don't really need that the encryption command is integrated on the right-click menu.

Thank you

akito

I use KGPG, but sometimes using the Shell via $ gpg

Megver83

Note that KGpg is for KDE, so it will install all the qt dependencies --> http://packages.trisquel.info/belenos/kgpg
Although it is extremely out-of-date, the latest version now is 17.04.1 and Trisquel's package is on 4.13.0

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

Having AES256 as my preferred algorithm in gpg.conf (add the line 'cipher-algo AES256'), all I need to do is:

gpg -c 'file'

I can not see any reason to use any GUI for that, for it would only slow me down.

cheers

Trisquel-it

You're right too. I'll check how to encrypt via command line using my personal key. It's probably faster than using any GUI :)

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

Yeah.. I like GUIs, I find them great for many things, but many others are better done via CL. Btw, welcome to the forum!

Mangy Dog

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Take care of the skeletons in your closet!
https://www.dyne.org/software/tomb/

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

+1 for tomb, it's a great piece of software, and one that I find to be very trustworthy.

Trisquel-it

Thank you for your suggestion. It looks very interesting but I prefer to use my gpg key :)

P.S. thank you for the welcome!

Mangy Dog

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Bienvenuto !