Proxy IP Change

4 replies [Last post]
SabirSaleem90

Hi I want to change IP Address is there any free (Open Source) abrowser extension means firefox because abrowser supports firefox.

because openvpn not installing correctly so I need abrowser extension but it should be open source I found some proxy extensions in abrowser but they are asking proxy ip not working like vpn.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you

lanun

I have a feeling that what you are looking for is Tor Browser:

https://www.torproject.org/download

SabirSaleem90

So using TOR with VPN is not recommended right ?

jahoti

It is indeed not recommended.

jahoti

Please do not use a VPN with Tor except in very specific circumstances. It is a common myth that such a setup is ideal; however, unless you work for a VPN company, it is at best more expensive than using Tor as-is and at worst self-defeating.

Firstly, Tor is more anonymous (and therefore private) than a VPN, and nearly as safe- a very simplified view of a Tor connection's operation is not unlike a VPN's, except that with Tor there are three intermediate connections instead of one and you do not register for or get a choice in which intermediaries are used. The only downsides are this setup are decreased speed and the risk of malicious nodes. The first of these must simply be accepted, and the second- while it may manifest in multiple ways- primarily comes with the risk of websites being hijacked. You can prevent that rare (primarily cryptocurrency-related) danger by checking your connection to a website is encrypted (https://) before entering sensitive information or trusting keys/checksums from it.

Now, it is also true that your ISP can see you are using Tor; however, if you use a VPN, your ISP can see that instead while your VPN provider sees that you are using Tor, as well as the same information your ISP gets about when and how much data you up/download. Unless your country is hostile towards Tor users and you trust the VPN provider not co-operate with local authorities, that is hardly an improvement.

Where that is in fact the case, I cannot ethically give advice as a non-expert. However, it is worth noting that Tor provides its own solution in the form of bridges; unlisted nodes which allow you to connect in ways that look more like normal Internet traffic.

Connecting to a VPN through Tor is even worse: there are now parties on both sides of your Tor circuit (your ISP and VPN) which can see every connection you make, allowing them (theoretically) to compare notes and therefore completely de-anonymize you while delivering no benefit to you except a few less CAPTCHAs and 403'ed webpages. The IP address used to access different websites will also be the same (something Tor prevents by building different circuits), which allows them (or their trackers) to compare notes and perhaps gain some insights, particularly for rather obscure websites or rarely-used VPN servers.

In fact, without great care in signing up to the VPN, comparing notes isn't even needed. Identifying yourself (e.g. through payment details) will render Tor completely worthless as the server connecting to the destination can now tie the request back to you anyway, just as is you had connected directly.

Finally, VPN+Tor+VPN combines both of these sets of problems with a few new possible paths for de-anonymization and the speed hit of passing a connection through five distinct nodes and the cost of two VPNs. Unless you can explain why this is worth it for your situation, this is most definitely not worth it for your situation.

--------------------------------------

I don't mean to criticize you with this, Gnu-Bro; it is a common myth and I appreciate you offering advice. I am just exhausted and annoyed that this piece of misconception is still afflicting people.