Telegram/Tray (Mate Panel) Bug

12 replies [Last post]
cejfi

Hello!

There is a problem with Telegram icon in the tray; Normally at my Work-PC Telegram opens with a single-left-click on the Telegram tray icon, but at my home PC it opened the context menu.

After this observation I reinstalled the mate-panel at my Home-PC and Telegram started to open on left click, but I got an error:

"The panel encountered a problem while loading "IndicatorAppletFactory::IndicatorApplet". Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?"

Beside this error I also noticed that the volume icon in the tray is missing. After reinstalling mate-indicator-applet, the error disappears, the volume icon in the tray appears but then again Telegram opens the context menu.

Not sure if this post can help in some way to fix this...

Best wishes,

happy_gnu

Maybe reinstall Telegram?

znavko

m.b. lxde?

cejfi

Today I was @ work again and I noticed there both; volume and Telegram work.....Confuses me even more.

@happy_gnu Already tried

cejfi

I solved the issue. I'll post the solution just for others that might have the same issue:

1. As said before I deleted indicator applet:

sudo apt remove mate-indicator-applet

At this stage you should have Telegram responding correctly but no volume tray icon and you get an error on startup.

2a. Then I edited the current panel config file, in my case the trisquel layout, check mate-tweak to see what you are using:

sudo nano /usr/share/mate-panel/layouts/trisquel.layout

2b. Inside the config file remove:
[Object indicatorappletcomplete]
object-type=applet
applet-iid=IndicatorAppletCompleteFactory::IndicatorAppletComplete
toplevel-id=bottom
position=20
panel-right-stick=true
locked=true

Now save and close the file.

3. In mate-tweak I switched from my current panel to another one and again back to my panel (the edited one). This is done just to refresh the changes (reboot didn't do it)

4. Right click on the panel-> add to panel -> Notification Area

5. Reboot, no error, volume is there and telegram reacts on left single click.

cejfi

@nickeylodeon

Thanks for the new insights, I didn't think about Pavel being a Russian Gov. player. But that explains why the Russian Gov. was only afraid of Telegram....to make it more popular.

It was not easy for me to switch to Telegram, had to install a lot of clients to my close friends. So what is the alternative? Signal?

Kind Regards

strypey

cejfi:
> "It was not easy for me to switch to Telegram, had to install a lot of clients to my close friends. So what is the alternative? Signal?"

There was a recently discussion on this topic here:
https://trisquel.info/en/forum/videotelephony-trisquel-7

Personally, I'm leaning towards Wire. It's a mature project, with a noob-friendly UI, and a revenue model (or "business model" - a way or paying the bills) that doesn't depend on ads or datafarming its users. It has a web client, native clients for mobile (Android and iOS) and desktop clients for MacOS and Windows, with a GNU-Linux desktop client coming along nicely, although still experimental. All their software is now free code, including both client and server stuff.

GrevenGull

What about Wire? Anybody know anything bad about Wire?:)

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

> What about Wire? Anybody know anything bad about Wire?:)

Both the client and server-side software are free, and it does not have any proprietary dependencies, so it suffers from neither of the issues with Signal or Telegram. If your modified version is used to connect to their servers there are some restrictions[1] on how it does so. That seems reasonable to me. It's up to Wire how their computers are used. If your modified version does not use Wire's servers there are no restrictions beyond the terms of the GPL.

[1] https://github.com/wireapp/wire

GrevenGull

> If your modified version is used to connect to their servers there are some restrictions[1] on how it does so. That seems reasonable to me. It's up to Wire how their computers are used. If your modified version does not use Wire's servers there are no restrictions beyond the terms of the GPL.

Care to explain this with "simpler" terms to a guy with relatively little tech understanding? :P

GrevenGull

Like for example: how do I even know if my version is modified or not? And how it is modified?

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

> Like for example: how do I even know if my version is modified or not? And
> how it is modified?

I was referring to freedom 1. Wire is free software, so you are free to modify it. Depending on the nature of your modifications you may not be able to use your version with their servers. If you are using Wire as distributed by the devlopers, as opposed to using a fork or modifying it yourself, it's not something you need to worry about.

cejfi

We are let to believe that there are so many options to choose from, but when you think about it, the use cases, the best one is still to meet the person you want to speak with "in person"....

Thx for all the infos you shared.