Trisquel 10 name

14 replies [Last post]
IrishUSA

Presumptuous of me to be the one posting this rather than quidam, jxself, chaosmonk, or many others. BUT it's too much for for me to resist trying kick off the Trisquel 10 naming festivities.

Going by last time https://trisquel.info/en/forum/trisquel-9-needs-name the rules are:

Rules for names:
* Trisquel versions are named after Celtic gods.
* It should be a "searchable" name (that is, a name that doesn't have many results on search engines, so we can "take it over." For example: Searching for Flidas has Trisquel in the top results.

Also, it should also not re-use a name that's been used before or that might be confusingly similar. Past names are:

1.0: Arianrhod
2.0: Robur
3.0: Dwyn
3.5: Awen
4.0: Taranis
4.5: Slaine
5.0: Dagda
5.5: Brigantia
6.0: Toutatis
7.0: Belenos
8.0: Flidas

I think this list would probably be helpful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Celtic_deities

IrishUSA

My suggestion is:

Nabia

Points in its favor:

1. Not just any Celtic goddess, but specifically a Galician goddess, thus honoring Trisquel's roots as a distro meant to support the Galician language.

2. Searches for it come up with that goddess and Celtic myth being on top or dominating the hits. There is a Swedish song by that name, a hotel in Spain, and a face cream. I don't think any of these are prominent enough to cause problems. For example even searching for Nabia cream doesn't bring up the product's own web page as the top hit, instead only showing online resellers - and it's an online-only product, apparently not prominent enough to be in retail stores.

3. Easy to spell and pronounce.

4. Goddess of waters and rivers, which fits Trisquel's blue color scheme.

5. At least one source says she was a versatile goddess, which fits Trisquel's current intended role as a general purpose operating system (rather than, as some other distributions are, focused on a specific role such as music, security, games, etc.). The Wikipedia entry cites Pedreño, Juan Carlos Olivares (November 11, 2005). "Celtic Gods of the Iberian Peninsula". Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies. 6: 610.

greenman

I really like this name!

lutes

"Gentle face wash for everyday made with natural ingredients". Could be worse.

It seems that the cognate Nabão/Nabao also exists.

Trisquel

I love it, Nabia it is. Ashamed to say that there is a neighborhood in the galician city I grew up in bearing that name (spelled with a v), and I didn't know what it meant until now! I'll start setting things up for the new development cycle.

IrishUSA

Very excited and honored to have my suggested name be chosen! All the best wishes for Nabia's success!

Jabjabs

I would propose Anu - Goddess of the earth and fertility ... but Anu powered by Gnu would be a little cheeky. :D

Could go with the modern Druid concept of 'Awen'.

"The three foundations of awen are the understanding of truth, the love of truth, and the maintaining of truth."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awen#Neo-Druidic_symbol

lutes

> 3.5: Awen

Jabjabs

Oh dear, how did I miss that!?! Thank you for the correction.

PublicLewdness

I like the options put forth so far. Looking at the list provided I liked "Bedaius". I won't lie, the main reason I liked it was it is close to "Dr Zaius" and made me think of the Simpsons song with it.

Pablo G

I am a member!

I am a translator!

I like Olwen.

It's a goddess with a name that sounds good to me.

=)

diopon

My suggestion is:

Sucellus

God of agriculture and wine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucellus

It is searchable, the results are only for the deity.

dani77

Anu

Substance2004
Wazyx

Brixta