Unity shell installation issues due to dist-upgrade

6 replies [Last post]
gd_scania

In short is the Unity shell no longer available for Flidas but that’s based on 16.04?
hd_scania@hd-scania:~$ sudo apt dist-upgrade -fy --force-yes cinnamon mate epiphany-browser unity8 unity8-fake-env && sudo apt autoremove -y && sudo rm -rfv /var/cache/apt/archives/* /var/log/* && sudo updatedb && df
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'mate-desktop-environment' instead of 'mate'
Calculating upgrade... Error!
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
unity8 : Depends: qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-telephony0.1 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: ubuntu-system-settings but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: unity-scope-click but it is not going to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
hd_scania@hd-scania:~$

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

> In short is the Unity shell no longer available for Flidas but that’s based
> on 16.04?

Unfortunately Unity is currently broken in Flidas. As far as I know this is a bug, not intentional lack of support for Unity.

https://trisquel.info/en/issues/24140

nadebula.1984

That Canonical abandoned Unity is actually a good thing for Unity and its users. Canonical did even more damage to software freedom than Microsoft. (RMS almost always criticized Canonical/Ubuntu in his talks.)

There are quite a few Unity forks that worth trying.

J.B. Nicholson-Owens

name at domain wrote:
> That Canonical abandoned Unity is actually a good thing for Unity and its
> users. Canonical did even more damage to software freedom than Microsoft.
> (RMS almost always criticized Canonical/Ubuntu in his talks.)
>
> There are quite a few Unity forks that worth trying.

How do you figure that "Canonical did even more damage to software freedom
than Microsoft."?

nadebula.1984

Admittedly, Ubuntu can be "easy to use" or "user friendly" as advertised by Canonical.

But what did Canonical tell the users? Freedom is less important than convenience? Or it is wise to give up freedom for the "user experience"?

Indeed, Canonical and Ubuntu have corrupted countless free software communities. See RMS' article entitled "Avoiding Ruinous Compromises".

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Indeed, Canonical and Ubuntu have corrupted countless free software communities.

I am not sure what you mean. Are you referring to projects such as Unity, Upstart, Mir and Snappy that Canonical developed/develops on its own rather than contributing to, respectively, GNOME, systemd, Wayland and Flatpak?

I do not think it is a good idea. In particular, Unity, Upstart and Mir were abandoned and, a posteriori, the development effort Canpnical put could have benefited the alternatives. Also, Snappy apparently is technically worse than Flatpak (see https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/870bcn/snap_support_for_peek_screen_recorder_discontinued/ for instance) and no as much adopted (see https://kamikazow.wordpress.com/2017/02/09/adoption-of-flatpak-vs-snap/ for instance). Nevertheless, they are free software projects and competition can be good.

Canonical is known to add legal issues with "Contributor License Agreements" (are you referring to that?) but talking about "corruption" looks exaggerated.

gd_scania

Yes a good news that Ubuntu abandons the Unity shell.
Will this abandonment come Unity to be a desktop shell officially for the GNU project?
I also need to rewrite the Trinity shell by adding LXQt and Lumina stuff like QTerminal to it and removing KDE deps as possible to shrink it.
And the browser will be started and after I've finished removing every nonfree deps from the nonfree "Pepper" Flash plugins for Qt5-WebEngine that will be used as the default engine.
The new Unity will also be rewritten in Qt 5 that's to be parts of my new Trinity shell.