What OS were you using when you switched to Trisquel?

28 replies [Last post]
pragmatist

I am a member!

Based on a comment by loldier here: https://trisquel.info/en/forum/who-working-trisquel-8-theme-asking-again#comment-93123

I thought it would be interesting to see what OS people used just before switching to Trisquel.

I've used various GNU/Linux distros on my machines as part of a dual boot with Windows for the last 14 years. After watching and reading a bunch of stuff by rms I found out about Trisquel and recently I made the final switch and now all of my computers have only Trisquel on them.

andermetalsh

I think OpenBSD 5.4, I can't remember.

oysterboy

I am a member!

I am a translator!

I believe it was Linux Mint. Switching to Trisquel was easy as both distributions are Ubuntu-based.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Back in 2010, when I switched to Trisquel, I was probably using gNewSense or BLAG. But not for long. I spent more years on Gentoo before that.

onpon4

Actually, before I switched to Trisquel, my laptop was in limbo sitting in a computer repair shop that ended up not doing anything to fix it (not surprisingly, they're no longer in business today). When I had access to our desktop computer, I used Mint or Windows 7, depending on the situation. But if you were to ask me what my primary computer at the time was, I would have said that it was my OpenPandora, and the OS I was using on that was either SuperZaxxon or Zaxxon (I'm not entirely sure about the timing when SuperZaxxon came out).

At some point, I decided to try an FSF-endorsed distro, and Trisquel was the one that looked most appealing. So I installed it on our desktop computers alongside Windows and Mint, and I started using it, but my Pandora was still pretty much my main computer. Some months later, I finally got my laptop back, and I promptly erased both Windows Vista and Mint (the systems I had on my laptop at the time) and replaced them with Trisquel 5.5.

tdlnx

I am a member!

I was using Manjaro. I love the pacman manager more than apt-get but hate the maintenance of most pacman distributions.

I finally bit the bullet and switched to Trisquel. However after using it for some time now I've grown to love it. I don't have to spend too much time on maintenance and can really concentrate on using my computer rather than "using" my operating system.

lembas

I used debian before.

So far no GNU/Linux virgins in this thread.

Megver83

And GNU/Linux-Libre virgins I think doesn not exist! That´s not ok

loldier

I was on Debian at the time.

I started with Ubuntu in 2007. It's been some variety of a Debian based distro ever since, mostly Ubuntu, later Mint, Debian and Puppy.

As for Trisquel, I had never heard of it before RMS wrote somewhere he was using Trisquel. I tried Trisquel for a while but had issues with multiple keyboard layouts and switched back to Debian for now. I'll try the next release of Trisquel when it's out. I wiped Windows off my computer because ran out of space and needed the partition for my stuff. I visited the other side of my dual boot setup so seldom that keeping MS-Win was a waste of my resources.

Dave_Hunt

I am a member!

When I came to Trisquel, I was a veteran user of several GNU/Linuces; I think the laptop I first liberated was running Vinux (an Ubuntu variant) or Ubuntu, itself. I was handed a Trisquel (Dagda I18N) flash drive at a Software Freedom Day event. On returning home from that event, I installed Dagda on a laptop and began using it. Until Belenos, Dagda was my favorite release; am patiently awaiting the arrival of Flidish.

Megver83

Mi first distro was xubuntu. I wanted to install ubuntu but my laptop was too old. Then I got a PC and I could install Ubuntu. Later I changed to trisquel because it was ubuntu based and I understanded the meaning of freedom. Before all this I was used to be a Winsucks user. I read your posts and I note that you´ve been years using windows or not fully free distros. I consider my self lucky because I´ve never past a year using a linux distro and I am about to become 14 years old! Trisquel is the definitive distro I´ll use, until the proyect dies

pragmatist

I am a member!

Bravo!

GNU_Ninja

Xubuntu 14.04

All my personal machines (3 Lenovo laptops) now run Trisquel, and I'm in the process of freeing up the BIOS on an X200 :-)

Turtleman

I was using BLAG, but then I saw Trisquel is much more up-to-date. Before BLAG I only used Ubuntu. I still have the BLAG spirit though :)

sudo apt-get install anarchism

Thatoo

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04
Because the new LTS arrive and I was planning to make a fresh install, I decided to install Trisquel instead to get closer to a full free numeric life :-)

Alij

none, i just discover the internet in 2011. And i love it!

pcrable

I was using GnewSense (or something like that), which the gods at the FSF smiled upon, when it went belly up during the boot process. Repairing a problem with booting is far beyond my capabilities.

The only other distribution I had lying around on a CD was Trisquel, so I installed it. I've used it for two days and have no complaints.

But in reality all my substantive work is done on a Dell laptop under Windoze 8.1. I just play around with GNU/Linux.

Paul

loldier
gnitponsil

Windows XP, then Mac OS X 10.3 to 10.11 (but dual boot to Windows 7 to play Age of Empires II Conquerors Expansion).

I thought Mac was great until a couple of years ago, but then became more and more frustrated. Got a tip from a friend that RMS was having an open talk at the university. Never heard of him or FSF before. Went home and started to investigate GNU/Linux distros, preferably free ones.

I'm still switching to Trisquel. I've noticed difficulties to break free with only Macs for hardware, but the scent of freedom is still fresh.

andermetalsh

"to play Age of Empires II Conquerors Expansion). "

Check OpenAGE

https://github.com/SFTtech/openage

gnitponsil

Thanks for the tip! Great!

SalmanMohammadi

I switched to Trisquel 5 from Fedora. At that time I had never heard of Ubuntu and the first time I saw Ubuntu was on Trisquel's website. I ran Trisquel until a few months ago.

Currently I run Debian stable, because I don't like how Trisquel is managed. Ruben is so busy and not having enough time to invest on Trisquel.

grimlok

I had been using Windows since Windows 95 up until Windows 8 came out. Being that Microsoft was taking it down the road of a "Here's everything" to a "Here's a blank page, now search for what you want." and the fact that it was getting less and less my OS; I decided to take the leap and started looking into freer pastures which led me to Trisquel. So I was a Windows user up until 2013. I plated here and there with Ubuntu CE a bit beforehand.

Too Long Version: I was running Windows 7 before switching to Trisqel GNU/Linux 6.0 Cold Turkey.

strypey

I started on Windows 95/98, used 2000 for a while, which was when I got interested in software freeom, and started trying to use GNU/Linux on the desktop. Here's some of the distros I've tried:
http://www.coactivate.org/projects/disintermedia/free-code-operating-system

When I switched to Trisquel in about 2011, I had been using mostly Ubuntu since about 2007, after doing some mucking around with Dyne:Bolic, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Mepis, and a few others. Despite the massive contribution Ubuntu have undeniably made to desktop GNU/Linux, I started to get disillusioned with things like the proprietary Ubuntu One server etc but the straw that broke the camel's back was the Amazon Lens debacle. I tried Debian, Antix, Bodhi, and some CentOS fork (aimed at servers with no default desktop). I also tried a bunch of distros from the FSF list, including Dyne 3.0, gNewSense, Musix, and BLAG, with disappointing results:
http://www.coactivate.org/projects/disintermedia/blog/2012/10/22/brick-seeks-free-software-foundation-endorsement/

Trisquel 6 was a breath of fresh air, and I've been using Trisquel 7 since a few months after it came out, and just started testing Trisquel-Mini on the mini-laptop. I finally got rid of my last Windows partition (unsupported XP)a couple of years ago, after realising I hadn't been using it anymore. I also use Mint sometimes, but after I get a USB wifi card from ThinkPenguin, I will only use the liveCD for streaming movies and other web stuff that needs things like Flash, and I only until I can find alternatives that work with Trisquel.

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

we like smtube a lot, we also like smplayer (which will play every single yt video always - you just need to paste the link in it). Youtube-dl can download from a ton of websites and it's a very powerful tool.

Miguel ♛

It might sound a bit weird but i was using Icaros Desktop, when i discovered Trisquel

shinigami

freebsd,

tomlukeywood

Debian 7

Mangy Dog

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Freedora 20 or 21 forget..(Fedora + FSFLA kernel Libre)
http://www.fsfla.org/ikiwiki/selibre/linux-libre/index.en.html