X200 questions,

11 replies [Last post]
anonymous

Does the X200s have more battery life, and can anyone confirm if the one with SL9600 processor has preformance as good as the X200 under minor pressure? (such as dosbox)

And also, under pressure (heat) would it lose battery life faster then the x200.

Also if the last question is no, does anyone have a librebooted X200s they could sell? Just wondering.

Beko

You can purchase a large battery from Amazon, won't be OEM however. That is what I did, you can find the large varieties of batteries that even protrude from the chassis of the computer.

nadebula.1984

The highest CPU for X200s/t is SL9600 2.13 GHz whereas the lowest CPU for X200 is P8400 2.26 GHz. They share the Penryn architecture and 1066 MHz FSB. So X200s/t should have longer battery life (but less CPU performance). If you need longer battery life, I suggest that you try to find a 9-cell battery with Panasonic cells.

If you run into an X200s with WXGA+ (1440*900) screen, be sure not to miss it. It's very rare. I used such an X200s to compose my Ph.D. dissertation so I don't wish to sell it. (One of my students also composed her dissertation using another X200s and I don't wish to sell it either.)

zapper (not verified)

That's a good point, but I may just wait for RISC-V laptops to come out before I go to different architectures/Buy New Computer, new architectures, etc...

But obviously, I want to wait for my favorite upcoming OS to come out too.

HyperbolaBSD aka

:)

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

> HyperbolaBSD

Oh geez, are we going to hear about this in every thread now? :)

zapper (not verified)

Nah, I think hearing about it on rare occasion is good enough. ;P

But yeah, If you bring it up for any reason, I am more likely to bring it up. :)

jxself

You may be waiting for a while. In addition, the performance of RISC-V is more for smaller systems. Not that this may not change in the future but it will also involve more waiting.

zapper (not verified)

How many years do you think? 5? 5+?

Well regardless, I will wait to see if MNT Reform can get its act together, etc...

aka, removing all blobs. OR, another processor thats libre, OR something better than it or eoma68.

My only problem with eoma68 is the amount of battery life, 6 hours is better than my x200, but not enough for my taste...

nadebula.1984

I recently purchased a theoretically coreboot compatible notebook with at least 15 hours of battery life. The only drawback is the restrictions on WLAN cards. I can't replace it. Any card other than Intel 7260 is recognized by neither firmware nor lspci command.

If we manage to port Haswell ULV platform's coreboot to it, we could try to see whether this board supports Atheros AR9462 (the only M.2 form factor ath5k/9k card). Boot Guard is not enabled on this board (although supported), of course.

zapper (not verified)

That is the problem though. Alas...

aloniv

I am a translator!

If you run into an X200s with WXGA+ (1440*900) screen, be sure not to miss it. It's very rare. I used such an X200s to compose my Ph.D. dissertation so I don't wish to sell it. (One of my students also composed her dissertation using another X200s and I don't wish to sell it either.)

AFFS/PVA panels for X200 are better panels as they have better color reproduction and viewing angles. I wouldn't bother with the standard TN panels as they look poor by comparison. Resolution isn't the most important factor.

nadebula.1984

If the panel type is more important than resolution for you, you may consider X200t.

However, there's another very nice screen, namely the SXGA+ (1400*1050) screen for X60t. It's much better than X61t's SXGA+ screen, which is susceptible to glue leakage.

If you could find an X60t with 64-bit processor (such as L7400) as well as SXGA+ screen, it's supreme. Of course, you can install X60t's screen on an X61t with better chipset (GM965) and processor.

Many years ago, I found such one "supreme" X60t on the dark market, but it was very expensive then, approximately 20k CNY or 3k USD. (Many years before, X series were more expensive than T series, and X series tablets were even more expensive.)