Installing hyperbola on my new x200

12 respuestas [Último envío]
rachad
Desconectado/a
se unió: 11/05/2019

so im trying to install hyperbola from almost 2 weeks now
it took me this much cause total noob in unix systems in general and i need some help to get it runing

issues im facing at the moment :

#) X server doesnt start with cwm "calm windown mannager" i installed xenocara-server and xenocara-xinit
but its not working maybe some config i have to do?

#) i cant have ip address wen connectiong to wifi i installed netifrc ,iproute2 and wpa_supplicant and i configured it as follow:

modules:"iproute2"
config_wlp2s0="192.168.1.8/24"
routes_wlp2s0="default via 192.168.1.1"
dns_servers_wlp2s0="127.0.0.2"
modules="wpa_supplicant"

#)as u can see dns server is 127.0.0.2 cause im trying to use dnscrypt-proxy but wen i start it and type rc-service dnxcrypt-proxy status /i get status: crashed

i think those are the issues that im trying to fix right now
im noob as i said so if anyone would like to help it would be great also how do i connect to wifi without giving it my hostname
i deleted dhcpcd cause idk if i will need it trying to set a static ip i read somewere that it is safe but idk im just learning here thank you

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 07/07/2017

> im noob as i said so if anyone would like to help it would be great also how do i connect to wifi

If you're a noob, don't torture yourself trying to connect to WiFi from the command line. Since you were able to install cwm, I assume you used Ethernet or some other way to connect to the Internet and install packages. Get a graphical interface working first, and install dhcpcd-ui and use that to connect. I've never used it, but from screenshots it looks similar to NetworkManager's nm-applet.

> X server doesnt start with cwm "calm windown mannager" i installed xenocara-server and xenocara-xinit

Do you have a display manager installed? You could try installing lightdm and lightdm-gtk-greeter and rebooting and see if that works. If not, then it might be a Xenocara issue, in which case you should probably ask the Hyperbola forum. Hyperbola is the only distro I know of who uses it, so they probably know best how to get it working. I have no experience with it myself, having jumped ship before Hyperbola removed Xorg.

calher

I am a member!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 06/19/2015

On 1/30/20 11:24 AM, name at domain wrote:
> If you're a noob, don't torture yourself trying to connect to WiFi from
> the command line.

I agree. I *could* use Parabola, but I don't have time to maintain and
design my desktop from scratch. At least it's not as bad as on
source-based distributions, where I'd turn an assignment in late because
I had to compile Chromium and LibreOffice because I didn't plan on using
them until I had to frantically try to configure eveything so it would work

--
Caleb Herbert
KE0VVT
(816) 892-9669
https://bluehome.net/csh

rachad
Desconectado/a

well to connect to the internet i used wifi by chrooting in the system with live usb

> install dhcpcd-ui and use that to connect. I've never used it, but from screenshots it looks similar to
> NetworkManager's nm-applet.Do you have a display manager installed? You could try installing lightdm and lightdm-gtk-greeter and rebooting and see if that works. If not, then it might be a Xenocara issue, in which case you should probably ask the Hyperbola forum. Hyperbola is the only distro I know of who uses it, so they probably know best how to get it working. I have no experience with it myself, having jumped ship before Hyperbola removed Xorg.

i will check dhcpcd-ui but for the display manager i dont wanna use one its ok for me to just use the terminal to login and startx i wanna go as minimal as i can and learn from it in the way

i also cant ask in the hyperbola forum cause i cant register with my email for now so i came here i know too many people here are geeks using hyperbola or used it before :)

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a

> i will check dhcpcd-ui but for the display manager i dont wanna use one its
> ok for me to just use the terminal to login and startx i wanna go as minimal
> as i can and learn from it in the way

Ok, well if startx isn't working either then it might be Xenocara.

> i also cant ask in the hyperbola forum cause i cant register with my email
> for now so i came here i know too many people here are geeks using hyperbola
> or used it before :)

I used to use Hyperbola (and I am a geek :) but I haven't used it
since they made the change to Xenocara, so I'm afraid I can't help with
that. Calmstorm (obviously :) uses Hyperbola, and might be able to
help you if they see this thread.

Why aren't you able to to register?

calher

I am a member!

Desconectado/a

On 1/30/20 12:07 PM, name at domain wrote:
> Ok, well if startx isn't working either then it might be Xenocara.

This gives me nightmares of having to jump through ten pages on the Arch
Wiki to learn how to configure stuff in time for a deadline where people
expect me to have a fully-functioning computer.

--
Caleb Herbert
KE0VVT
(816) 892-9669

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a

> This gives me nightmares of having to jump through ten pages on the
> Arch Wiki

The Arch wiki is great, though admittedly not beginner-friendly, but
even it would not be of help here. Arch doesn't use Xenocara.

rachad
Desconectado/a

your right i dont even remember why i was there haha

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a

> well to connect to the internet i used wifi by chrooting in the system
> with live usb

It says a lot that this is easier than connecting to WiFi from within
the actual system.

rachad
Desconectado/a

> I used to use Hyperbola (and I am a geek :) but I haven't used it since they made the change to Xenocara, so I'm afraid I can't help with that. Calmstorm (obviously :) uses Hyperbola, and might be able to help you if they see this thread.

Thank you for ur time :) i hope Calmstorm see this thread than

> Why aren't you able to to register?

idk you can check here what was my problem
https://trisquel.info/en/forum/hyperbola-forum-issue

> This gives me nightmares of having to jump through ten pages on the Arch Wiki to learn how to configure stuff in time for a deadline where people expect me to have a fully-functioning computer.

i did that i went to the Arch Wiki but because im total noob to all this it just confused me more:) i think i have to set something in the config files of Xenocara but i dont wanna do it wrong and for my work im using another desktop runing triskell so im safe :) i dont care if this x200 takes time to be fully-functioning computer.

calher

I am a member!

Desconectado/a

On 1/30/20 12:36 PM, name at domain wrote:
> for my work im using another desktop runing triskell so im safe

Whew! That's a relief.

--
Caleb Herbert
KE0VVT
(816) 892-9669

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a

> https://trisquel.info/en/forum/hyperbola-forum-issue

Hyperbola also has an IRC channel on freenode. Do you know how to use IRC? Hexchat is a pretty easy client to get started with. Just install it from the Trisquel repo, run it, when asked to connect to a server select "freenode", and when asked to connect to a channel type "#hyperbola".

> i dont care if this x200 takes time to be fully-functioning computer.

Then you've picked the right distro ;)

rachad
Desconectado/a

> Hyperbola also has an IRC channel on freenode. Do you know how to use IRC? Hexchat is a pretty easy client to get started with. Just install it from the Trisquel repo, run it, when asked to connect to a server select "freenode", and when asked to connect to a channel type "#hyperbola".

i will do that tomorrow maybe i will find someone there who could help thank you.