Phoronix mentioned the TPE-R1200. Let's talk about it

Sin respuestas
commodore256
Desconectado/a
se unió: 01/10/2013

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=FSF-2019-802.11n-WiFi-Router

I can imagine the entitlement of "OMG, the brand new Routers are literally 100x faster with Wifi6 (formally 802.11ax) and 10Gbe Base-T being the new hotness". While it is nice to have new things, that's not the point. Yes, it would be really cool to have a libre 10Gbe wireless access point using 10Gb base-T and point it line of sight on somebody that has a 10Gb pipe and offer 100 people a 100 Megabit line. But 100 Megabit is plenty fast enough. even the max bitrate of Blu-Ray is 54Mbps, slightly above half the speed limit and that doesn't even take into account newer codecs or lower resolutions. Sure I'd like something more contemporary to as they "future-proof it".

But that's the price you pay for freedom and I think it's a price worth paying. Not to Osborne it, but I would love to see proceeds go into advancing product development, but it looks usable the way it is, I can think of multiple uses for it like it being a libre Ubiquity Wireless Access Point. I can imagine having a custom home with every bedroom and bathroom being a Faraday Cage in a low power mode and having each access point had have that be plugged into 10-port switch with a gigabit uplink of which it would be cool if I could get a Gigabit Switch that runs just free software. If I couldn't, I'd just rig one with an old Thinkpad. If I had a some cash to spare, I'd buy 10 of them! That's one way around the triple channel limit of 802.11n!