What does the hardware switch labeled "1" and "2" on the PCB of my GPU do?

8 respuestas [Último envío]
GrevenGull
Desconectado/a
se unió: 12/18/2017

I have a GPU here, which has a hardware switch on the PCB. I can set it to 1 or 2. That is you can switch between 1 and 2.

I've tried searching a bit, but didn't find any answer. I'm probably not searching good enough though, I could probably need a course in "how to search for things". But hey, I might as well ask here

jxself
Desconectado/a
se unió: 09/13/2010

If only we know what GPU you were even talking about at all. :)
Having absolutely no idea what GPU you're talking about I'll just randomly say that "1" position puts the card in "regular magic" mode and that the "2" position is "more magic." ;)

GrevenGull
Desconectado/a
se unió: 12/18/2017

hah :)

Well it's an AMD Radeon HD 7990 (Sapphire version)

andyprough
Desconectado/a
se unió: 02/12/2015

Actually, the "2" position turns all matter in the universe instantly into anti-matter, and all life ends.

So, make sure you back up your important data before switching to "2".

lanun
Desconectado/a
se unió: 04/01/2021

And don't forget: when in anti-life setting, "1" and "2" are respectively "2" and "1". Or possibly "1" and "0", depending on where anti-we have decided to start counting.

andyprough
Desconectado/a

True. If it's a British anti-life setting, then 0 is really 1, and 1 is really 2. Better hope it's a good American anti-life/anti-matter setting.

panties
Desconectado/a
se unió: 02/02/2021

> I have a GPU here, which has a hardware switch on the PCB.

Cool. I want one. I want to switch it.

andyprough
Desconectado/a

I think this page may answer your question: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5408/amd-radeon-hd-7990-6gb-dual-gpu-video-card-review/index.html

> "You can also see a little switch that we've seen present on higher end AMD offerings, and it switches between two BIOSs. We'll no doubt learn more about how companies intend to make use of it when we see retail versions of the card in the market. If past experiences are anything to go by, we'll more than likely see companies offer two different speeds - one stock and one overclocked, with the flick of the switch."

So it may have to do with switching it into a mode where you can overclock it.

andyprough
Desconectado/a

If that isn't right, you can use this search term on duckduckgo or startpage to see more search results:
+"AMD Radeon HD 7990" +"Sapphire" +"pcb" +"switch"