GNU parted - how to update to new version?

13 réponses [Dernière contribution]
user4234
A rejoint: 12/11/2016

I want to update GNU parted from version 2.3 to a never version with:

$ sudo aptitude install parted

but the output is:

$ No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.

why is that?

is it important/makes it any difference for the use of ext4 to have a new version of GNU parted?

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

A rejoint: 10/31/2014

I guess you are talking about the GNOME Partition Editor, that is gparted.

sudo apt-get install gparted

or, why not, using aptitude

sudo aptitude install gparted

>is it important/makes it any difference for the use of ext4 to have a new version of GNU parted?

Absolutely of no importance at all AFAIK

user4234
SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

I see, my bad. But may ask what is wrong with simply using gparted for your purpose?

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

A rejoint: 07/24/2010

There is nothing wrong. If you prefer GUI, it is the way to go. GParted uses GNU parted.

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

Sure, mate Bannanna Magique, I know. I am not one of those 'gimme only muh CLI apps' guy. In fact I think gparted is one of the most amazing software on my computer. I also am not willing to spend 5 hours studying parted to do what gparted does perfectly well and without any issue.

I was asking the OP, they seem to be quite decided on parted, hence my wonder.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

GNU parted uses 'mke2fs' to create an ext4 filesystem.

user4234

how can I update GNU parted 2.3 via terminal? the program failed to make an ext4 partition.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Again, 'parted' uses 'mke2fs', a separate program, to create an ext4 filesystem. Updating GNU parted would not make any difference. Old or new, 'mke2fs' should not "fail". What is the error message?

user4234

it partly worked somehow now but not sure if correctly. if I want to create a folder or file: 'error opening file '...' permission denied

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Creating a file at the root of the filesystem? What is the related line in the output of the following command?
$ mount

user4234

I made:

$ /media/USER$ sudo chmod 777 HDD

now I have access

$mount
$/dev/sdc1 on /media/USER/HDD type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks2)

but the strange thing is the hdd light is blinking fast and hdd is working, but I do nothing at all

it feels like there is something not correct configured

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

'sudo chmod 777' quite extreme. You probably just wanted to change the owner and the group with 'sudo chown', either applied at the root of the filesystem or, if there are different users, on as many directories created with 'sudo mkdir' (to get permissions analog to those of the home folders in /home).

user4234

I made the prozess of dd / partition table / partitioning / formating with the new version of Parted (3.2), which is on the gparted live iso, again and everything went as expected. BUT same strange behaviour still occurs. if the drive is mounted permanent activity happens on the completely empty and new drive. has anybody an explanation for this? defect drive?