Libreboot X200 returns on Minifree

211 réponses [Dernière contribution]
libreleah
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/03/2017

The best revenge is to be nice, so that everyone wins.

vltr
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 09/30/2017

Being nice should be just for the sake of feeling well with oneself as well as for the sake of willing truly to get along well with others.

I understand that you just meant what I said... "Revenge" not good word, but I understand that you were trying to calm things down.

calher

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 06/19/2015

On Fri, 2017-12-15 at 14:26 +0100, vltr wrote:
> I understand that you just meant what I said, but that you were trying just
> to simmer down that cat ; )

As I'm sure the person from ikhider.com will agree, we probably
shouldn't simmer down a cat, because that would be non-vegan. (I'm sure
the person from ikhider.com is vegan, since they're so ethical and
perfect.)

bandicooty98
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 12/14/2017

I was joking about Spotify. And yes I'm new to the forums, but everyone has got to start somewhere, right? I am using Windows 10 at the moment, only because of the fact that Microsoft shoves it down my throat. Once the Nouveau driver is decent enough to work with my GTX 1050, I'll make the switch to Trisquel (or Parabola). I still have plans on getting a fully free system. You just tell me which company sells the best system and I'll buy one, okay?

vltr
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 09/30/2017

As far as I am concerned, the best company I have experienced buying Libre sofware is Technoethical, and I have already bought from 3 of them.

I bought from them a t400s, the dock for it and the Samsung N2 with Replicant installed and I must say that after months I am completely satisfied with what I bought as well as with the service I received. Certainly I will be continue buying with this company.

Welcome to the forum. I was also registered as a new user weeks ago, and you are right we also have a right to speak and to exist here.

Good time in the forum! ; )

calher

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 06/19/2015

On Thu, 2017-12-14 at 23:23 +0100, name at domain wrote:
> I was joking about Spotify. And yes I'm new to the forums, but everyone has
> got to start somewhere, right? I am using Windows 10 at the moment, only
> because of the fact that Microsoft shoves it down my throat.

Yeah, I get that. It's definitely a process.

Out of curiosity, have you already installed free programs on top of
Windows 10 to do all the things you need to do?

You could get used to your new programs in the mean time, until you can
switch operating systems. This would make the operating system less of
an impact on your workflow.

> Once the Nouveau
> driver is decent enough to work with my GTX 1050, I'll make the switch to
> Trisquel (or Parabola).

What do you mean by "decent enough"? Will X11 not even show up on the
screen, or are you just trying to do luxurious stuff like playing games?

Sometimes it takes sacrifice to stop people from having unjust power
over you.

> You just tell me which company sells the best system and I'll buy one, okay?

Both are perfectly fine. Go ahead and get one. Choose a seller at
random if you can't decide.

I personally got mine from Minifree. It's my only computing device, and
it works very well like any other laptop.

calher

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 06/19/2015

Haha, I want to frame this. It's hilarious.

calher

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 06/19/2015

On Wed, 2017-12-13 at 09:18 +0100, name at domain wrote:
> Indeed. As previously stated, Minifree offers a 2 year warranty on all
> orders.

The warranty is more than great.

--
Caleb Herbert
OpenPGP public key: http://bluehome.net/csh/pubkey

Vikings
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/04/2017

> So you can either stay small and not register for VAT, or get big and have to register for VAT - and charge more to your EU customers - or lower your price. Tough call.

Oh dear, that's not how it works. If you register for VAT because you have to or because you voluntarily do doesn't necessarily change your pricing. In return you can reclaim any VAT that you are charged with when you pay for goods and services. Basically, in the regard of your price calculation, it doesn't matter much if you're VAT registered or not.

Not to mention that private buyers outside the EU will have to pay their locally valid import tax for most goods.

libreleah
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/03/2017

Minifree is VAT registered and I understand the mechanics.
Yes, but import tax in many countries is lower than VAT in the typical EU country. From what I've seen, countries typically charge something like 10%, or less, sometimes slightly higher. VAT is relatively high in the EU.

E.g. switzerland is 8%, USA is usually about the same in most states, often less. Australia charges 10% I think. Japan is also 8% as far as I know. VAT affects the purchaser, not the company selling the goods.

EDIT:
It's irrelevant now though. Thomas, btw, you're part of that peace deal I offered Tiberiu. See towards the latter parts of this thread.
See:
https://trisquel.info/en/forum/libreboot-x200-returns-minifree?page=2#comment-124501

I sent you, tiberiu, liquity and fsf the email in CC, but we can also discuss it here openly in this thread if you wish it.

Vikings
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/04/2017

Hello there,

> It's irrelevant now though

It may be not relevant to you, your initial comment about VAT was factually wrong though and I cared to correct it. Suddenly it's "irrelevant", which seems counterintuitive.

> Thomas, btw, you're part of that peace deal I offered Tiberiu.

Huh? I'm unsure why we were CC'd in your email, or mentioned by you. I'm not part of anything discussed here. Neither is the company I represent (which I would like to stress) and I'd like to ask you nicely *again* to leave Vikings and me out of your business.

What's more, I don't think it's appropriate to have the discussion that is held here in the first place, or the annoying self-adulation by some... Clearly both isn't helping any Trisquel user. If anything, it's poisonous and it'll put people off this forum.

This will be my only statement in that matter and as a Vikings employee.

On a personal note and as a reader of this forum: I'm tired of these Technoethic/Minifree nonsense that surfaces from time to time. You guys can be annoying as hell and I wish you weren't.

See you all at the Vikings booth at FOSDEM in 1 1/2 months. K building, right next to the FSFE booth. I'm the tall, bearded man.

calher

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 06/19/2015
calher

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 06/19/2015

On Tue, 2017-12-12 at 13:29 +0100, name at domain wrote:
> Minifree is also extremely generous in the cases where there are problems.

As a customer, I can say that this is true.

--
Caleb Herbert
OpenPGP public key: http://bluehome.net/csh/pubkey

vltr
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 09/30/2017

You say right just 38 euros of difference but the difference between the product that you finally receive from both companies, not to mention the personal attention provided, is huge.

Leah said that all orders currently placed are due to be received before Christmas. Well, I hope those orders will not happen to turn similar to the order that my family and me placed with Minifree. In our case the laptop arrived much later than expected and the customer experience that we had was just something terrible. So my advice is that if you are planning to buy a laptop from Minifree these days you better have into account everything that I say here and rather consider buying from Technoethical or any other company. Why I say that? Because if your order happens to turns to be like ours, you might not be receiving your laptop on time not to say that even something that your might be buying for a gift might finally be turning into a week lasting problem for you.

I will try to make a short summary though in the future I want to write a larger review comparing the experience that we had with these two companies.

Technoethical has more payment options than Minifree does. While with Technoethical you have the option of paying easily with your credit card with Minifree you do not have that option and you are forced to buy through a bank transfer (or eventually with bitcoins). Although Minifree says that this is due to privacy concerns of its owner, what I know for sure is that paying through a bank transfer to a company from another country place you in a situation of vulnerability compared to the seller if something goes wrong. Of course you could think: "...but it's Leah's company. She is part of the Trisquel forums!... I can trust on this!". Wel, we trusted her but it was not a nice experience. We placed an order with Minifree some time ago made the bank transfer the same day within few hours. After having made the trasnfer we even send Minifree a copy of the receipt of the bank transfer

With Technoethical you can agree the configuration that you would like your computer to have, whereas with Minifree any attempt to suggest a configuration was not even replied. In fact they did not replied to any email until 12 days later, while with Technoethical they are always getting in contact with you for giving you updates about your product, for asking you how would you like your computer to be configured, etc...

If you get concerned about Minifree's lacks of updates about your product and payment, do not bother in trying to contact them by phone... If your case is like ours you are likely to receive the same answer as from your emails: none. In fact Minifree just answered to us when we send them a notice saying that seeing the lack of any answer we were thinking to legally report the situation. After sending that message they replied to us within 25 minutes ... at midnight! Incredible taking into account that all the previous emails have been written in English and that message was intentionally written in Spanish just for the case that we were finally compelled to go to report the case. What did not happen in 12 days before, happened within 25 minutes at midnight ... That gives you an idea of the level of trust that you can place in Minifree.

We finally received our laptop 17 days after paying for it. We received a laptop that was not clean, with a charger which has on it big letters written in typpex... I cannot say that it was bad packaged, however it was not in a way that a person could expect that it was something fragile. The postman just through it on the floor thinking that was nothing important. Of course Minifree is not to be blamed for this latter, but just you to have an idea of the fantastic overall experience that we had. The funniest thing however happened when after several weeks the person of the family for whom it was intended the gift arrived, turns on the computer and cannot enter inside its user because the password provided it is not recognised. We entered in contact again with Minifree and as we expected they did not provided us with a real solution. They just say something like that they do not have any idea about that and that because the computer was not encrypted we could take out the HDD and do some commands on another computer to change the password. So you know... a clean and ready to use laptop, as you can see.

I read many promises about specifications here, but the true thing is that we received a laptop without Bluetooth and without any cam. What about the keyboard? Even though at Minifree's webpage they explain that they might endevour to provide you with a keyboard from your specfic country if available, the true thing is that they probably will not be contacting you for checking what kind of keyboard your want and if you try to contact them to make a suggestion are likely not to receive any answer as explained before.

With Technoethical, we received a laptop that was clearly having taken care of. Any extra that you could think of was there. The team of Technoethical was always friendly and were contacting us frequently for giving us updates and for asking us for they to have clear how we wanted our computer to be configured. The keyboard was in Spanish. The laptop arrived soon and it was very well packaged and secured. They in fact had provided us with two batteries for the laptop. They explained us that this was due to the fact that the one belonging previously to the computer worked well but just because it had a small scratch they decided to place another one newer for us while making also the previous one available to us. Inside the box we could find also some small gifts like funny stickers in support of free software and a small and nice keyring. So overall I can say that even though for some Technoethical might seems expensive ... It really worths the money.

I am willing to make a more detailed comparison soon about the two companies because I do not think it is fair to put Technoethical and Minifree companies at the same level. As Zotis said with Technoethical "you know what you take" while in the case of Minifree it was not at all what we expected. After having bought several products from Technoethical I can say that it is a reliable company, while in the case of Minifree our own experience does not allow me to say the same.

libreleah
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/03/2017

I apologize that you had this bad experience. I just want to clear a few things up, though:

Firstly, I want to stress absolutely loudly and clearly that your product is still under warranty:
https://minifree.org/delivery-and-return-policy/
-> You can literally ask me and I will send you a full replacement laptop.

Bank transfer is a perfectly safe method of paying someone over the internet. I've been doing it with my customers for years. Sometimes it takes a few days for money to clear and arrive in Minifree's account. It depends on your bank. Usually it takes a few days at most, for someones money to arrive. This page explains why we use wire transfer only: https://minifree.org/paypal/

As for some of your other points... we state quite clearly that the laptops come with UK keyboards, but that *if available* we will ship with other layouts. We are very clear about this.

To put it simply? In multiple aspects you wanted something that Minifree does not provide. You assumed that you were going to get a given product, even though it clearly stated something different on the website.

As for the physical defects that you described: as previously stated, all Minifree orders come with a 2 year warranty as standard, documented on our website. Your decision not to email me and get literally a 2nd laptop shipped to you for free (yes, for free) is on you, not I.

By the way, if you are who I think you are (from your description) then please note: this is still on offer. Your order is still under warranty. Per EU law I am *required* to provide full part/repair warranty for up to 2 years after purchase. This means that you have until some time in 2019 to claim it. You literally have an opportunity to get a 2nd laptop for free, and I assure you it will be up to standards.

Your experiences are valid, based on your own subjective biases. It's like I said in a previous response: Not everyone is satisfied. I assure you, your experience is the exception, not the norm. Like Technoethical probably does, Minifree occasionally messes up with someones order. We also have plenty of customers who are perfectly happy with the service they got.

Thing is though? It's really easy for just 1 angry person to make it look like a company is much worse than it actually is. A single bad review can make a company seem terrible. If Minifree was consistently as bad as you described, it would no longer be in business. The fact is, Minifree has been in business much longer than Technoethical.

Technoethical

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 08/15/2014

> Bank transfer is a perfectly safe method of paying someone over the internet.

No, it's not safe. Bank transfers are not common to pay for goods over the Internet. To make a bank transfer, one really needs to trust the merchant. A customer can't file a chargeback with bank transfer. And the transfer fees can be very high for countries on other continents.

> This page explains why we use wire transfer only: https://minifree.org/paypal/

Well, a company can't offer payment via PayPal or other credit card processor, if unhappy customers file chargebacks (and the threshold usually is 1%). PayPal will lock new funds for months and other credit card processors will charge the company a big fee or a much bigger percent of the transaction.

> Per EU law I am *required* to provide full part/repair warranty for up to 2 years after purchase.

The EU regulation of minimum 2-year warranty applies to new hardware, not second-hand. For second-hand it's minimum 1 year. However, the company is free to offer by default a warranty covering any number of years. Technoethical also offers 2-year warranty for our laptops.

> Like Technoethical probably does, Minifree occasionally messes up with someones order.

Don't speculate about our activity at Technoethical. Each of our laptops is refurbished in-house with care and attention to detail, faulty or inaesthetic components are replaced, it's checked and rechecked by at least two people, and used by a member for days as their laptop (we replace the HDD with ours while we use it). This is how we make sure that the laptop has no defects, not even hidden ones, that only surface when a person actually uses the laptop for a longer time.

> If Minifree was consistently as bad as you described, it would no longer be in business.

In their own words, people are grateful for your initial work and this is why most of them don't speak up or because you ask them not to, allegedly going public about Minifree's service quality would hurt the Libreboot project.

Tiberiu

libreleah
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/03/2017

So hey, tiberiu

Remember that thing you said earlier in this thread about not wanting to start a knife fight between Minifree and Technoethical?

I'm just curious if you remember saying that. Pro-tip: if you don't want me to speculate about your business practises, then please stop trying to trash this thread or spread FUD suggesting that Minifree is untrustworthy. It's a dirty business tactic, and it does not make you look very good at all. Not only does it make both of us look bad, but it also keeps the thread at the top of the first page of the forum for longer, which is not what you want right?

You have consistently suggested, in this thread and others, that Minifree provides low quality laptops and that it mistreats its customers. This is not true. I do not appreciate this. I think it would be best for both of us if we tried to stay out of each others way, don't you agree?

I'm writing this while I eat my breakfast. Then I'm going to work for 10 hours on Minifree orders.

~Leah

Technoethical

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 08/15/2014

Leah:
> Remember that thing you said earlier in this thread about not wanting to start a knife fight

I'm happy that you're selling again X200, because this is a confirmation of the false hopes you've been feeding free software users about the X220.

But you keep telling everyone that Technoethical is double more expensive, when in practice that's simply not true. I had no beef with you before. And I didn't want to fight.

Then you go on about shipping products of good quality, when in fact you flash laptops in mass-volume and your customers complain about the quality of the end product.

> Minifree provides low quality laptops and that it mistreats its customers. This is not true.

Well, stop lying and start taking more care of the quality *before* shipping. You'll see that people will start be happy with your company. Oh, it's harder to make honest money. That's true. Such is life. And it's probably fair to be this way.

> Then I'm going to work for 10 hours on Minifree orders.

I've worked 14 hours yesterday, and I'm usually working between 10-12 hours, including in weekends. But I don't complain, working for free software users is what I enjoy doing.

Happy hacking everyone!

Tiberiu

libreleah
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/03/2017

Actually, work on the X220 is ongoing. I haven't given up on that, I just haven't had enough time to work on it due to selling T400s in the last couple months. My workload is higher now than it was back then. The 15 or so X220 pre-order customers have all been offered refunds. Since we're going down that path, might I point out that you, Tiberiu, have not written or contributed a single piece of code to either libreboot, coreboot or librecore since the formation of any of these projects?

I'm currently working with several members in #libreboot IRC on ME-related research. Are you?

Now, the above is me being petty and resorting to a personal attack. This is easy.
What's harder is for the two of us to get along. I'm quite happy to stay out of your way if you'll stay out of mine. I don't think a pissing contest between us to see which one works the longest hours per week is very useful, do you?

As previously stated, Minifree ships decent quality laptops. You are simply trying to spread FUD about my company. I'll let my customers decide that, not you. The ones that have ordered since the launch a few days ago, will soon be receiving their X200s, and I will be asking all of them to write reviews here.

I'm only correcting facts. As previously stated, I have no wish to fight with you. I will only defend myself when you make slanderous statements.

If you stop attacking me and/or accusing me of defrauding/deceiving my customers, I will stop defending myself from you.

vltr
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 09/30/2017

I completely endorse everything that Tiberiu said here.

Many of the things are exactly what I wanted to write in my previous post in this thread. As I am not a native English speaker, it is sometimes for me finding a way to express what I really want to say. In this sense I thanks Tiberiu for having expressed everything so clearly, because it is exactly what I wanted to say about many things.

By the way I came here to edit my previous post, in order for being able to correct some grammatical errors. Yesterday I tried to solve some of them, but still I left many things that I found I have not expressed clearly. I had no more time yesterday so I left that for today. However now it seems it is not possible to edit it again.

Another thing that I just wanted to say in my previous post was regarding the FSF certification. I now the main objective of that certification is just to certify that a product uses free software however I thing the FSF should try also to have an eye on the quality of the products sold by the companies which are granted that certification. I mean, for me to link the name of an institution so reliable and with such a high degree of credibility as the FSF to a product is a very serious matter. I personally do not like to see the name of such an institution linked to a situation like the one we lived in our family. If other orders are like mine, I personally think the FSF should take in consideration the possibility of taking off the certification from Minifree as well as having a close look in the future on the quality of the products provided by the certified companies. As for Technoethical I really think the certification has been very well and deservedly granted.

libreleah
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/03/2017

So hey, can you stop trying to trash Minifree?

It's obvious to me that Tiberiu asked you to do this. The timing is too perfect. I mean call me paranoid but... yeah.

I'll repeat again: your order at Minifree was under warranty. So if you did receive a bad product, you were within your right to receive a full replacement, repair or refund. As far as I'm aware, you didn't do any of these things.

I'll repeat again: your experience was a genuine screw-up. Please stop trying to suggest that all orders are like yours, because they are not.

Thanks

Technoethical

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 08/15/2014

Leah:
> It's obvious to me that Tiberiu asked you to do this. The timing is too perfect.

False. Allow me to speculate about the timing: you announce the relaunch of one of your products and invite people to buy from you. This reminds people that they don't have a good experience with your company and your products. So they come forward.

> I mean call me paranoid but... yeah.

For a detailed explanation why indeed you're being paranoid about this, in an attempt to spin it and victimize yourself, see: https://trisquel.info/en/forum/libreboot-x200-returns-minifree#comment-124423

Tiberiu

vltr
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 09/30/2017

>False. Allow me to speculate about the timing: you announce the relaunch of one of your products and invite people to buy from you. This reminds people that they don't have a good experience with your company and your products. So they come forward.

That is exactly how it happened.

After reading all the posts that this lady has written today inventing an international conspiracy against her. I just could not believe that a mind could invent so many things just in order not to face critics.

libreleah
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/03/2017

Btw

There is a difference between a critic and a troll

food for thought?

vltr
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 09/30/2017

>Btw

There is a difference between a critic and a troll

food for thought?

So your customers should in the future also expect you to call them trolls among other things when you make a mistake with them? Wow, you are doing better. Congrats.

libreleah
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/03/2017

Despite what you claim to the contrary, I serve most of my customers well. Their order is shipped in reasonable time, in good quality.

In the rare circumstance that I do mess up an order, such as yours, I always promptly offer to send a replacement or repair the unit, or otherwise fix the mistake. If they are unhappy, they ask for a refund and I provide it immediately.

Once again, I will state: if you want a refund, I'll give it. If you want me to correct the mistake, I will. I'll go back on your order and deal with you. What you ended up doing was buying from a competitor... if I recall correctly at the time, you didn't want me to send a replacement unit or provide a refund because you didn't trust me to do it... all you had to do was re-confirm shipping address for replacement, or provide me with your wire instructions so that I could pay you.

What you chose to do instead was attack me for honest mistakes that I made with your order. You then went on accusing Minifree of being a bad company etc etc and told people not to buy from them, suggesting that the mistakes I made with your order are made with every order.

EDIT: and btw, your efforts, along with Technoethical's, have completely de-railed this thread and my sales have been zero in the last 30-40 hours. My last sale was on December 11th, at 8.30PM. Right now it's 10PM, December 13th. This drop to zero is right after a big surge in sales, and a general trend of high sales for Minifree.

And just so you know: I'm really upset by all of this. I work very hard. 10+ hours daily. My efforts are being completely trashed, and right now I feel like all my efforts are in vain.

vltr
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 09/30/2017

>if I recall correctly at the time, you didn't want me to send a replacement unit or provide a refund because you didn't trust me to do it...

No, I am sorry.

You are lying again about our order. That never happened.

libreleah
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/03/2017

Hence "if I recall correctly". Can you remind me what actually happened? Please clarify as to whether or not you asked me for a refund or replacement, and please clarify as to whether or not I provided it.

libreleah
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/03/2017

No answer? Very well:

Here's what happened: either you didn't ask for refund/repair/replacement, or you did ask and I provided it. I probably even offered it.

Despite what you claim to the contrary, I didn't defraud or mistreat you either. True, I messed up your order, I freely admit that, but what you've said about Minifree generally providing poor service is false.

And despite what you say, Minifree does well by its customers and provides a good service. It also makes mistakes, occasionally, like any company. If you wish to continue suggesting that your experience is universal with Minifree customers, then shame on you.

As I write this, I'm about to go sleep. I've written off this thread entirely. I no longer see a point in responding in this thread. All I'm going to do now is, as I did today, basically ignore it and focus on shipping my orders.

vltr
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 09/30/2017

Why should I answer you whenever you want about whatever you want having into account that you did not reply the emails we sent you nor to the calls we made you for over 12 days?

Even more, how are you able to manage a business if you are not able to bring back to you the facts of the case? Tiberiu has less information than you but he is able to know about his order with us. Technoethical caring more for their orders and customers? I would say so.

I have nothing more to clarify, not to say more to speak to you. As I have said multiple times in this thread you never tried to solve the situation. You never offered a replacement, refund or whatever until few days we wrote our review here, nor hence we were able to decline any of those things.

Have some rest, take it easy and care more about your orders and customers in the future.

libreleah
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/03/2017

Last time: Please stop saying that I provide poor quality service/products. I provided that to you, as part of a rare screw-up, one which, despite what you claim to the contrary, I offered to rectify. I always offer at least a replacement/fix in this kind of situation. When a refund is indicated, I provide one immediately.

You are also lying. I actually did attempt to rectify the situation during the point of sale, long before this thread existed.

So I'll ask again: Do you want your refund or not? If yes, please give me your wiring instructions via email. I will confirm here once I've sent it, and you can also confirm that.

You are literally the first Minifree customer to ever reject a refund.

EDIT: And don't tell me what to do. I run my company well. It's approaching 9AM, and I have to work all day today. I have several X200s to ship (ordered on December 11th, payments received in bank today). I'll check my emails later. If I see an email from you with your name and IBAN and order number in it requesting a refund, I'll provide it immediately. Then you can send your item back.

vltr
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 09/30/2017

>I mean call me paranoid.

No, I am not going to call you anything, however I am not going neither to deny that you read my mind.

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 07/07/2017

The NSA is just as capable of intercepting a shipment from Technoethical. If you believe that you are a target of the NSA, you should buy the laptop in person or at minimum have it shipped to a location outside the States.

Technoethical and Minifree are both reliable vendors who respect your freedom. Please don't spread nonsense that could cause this thread to escalate into an argument.

libreleah
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/03/2017

The risk of it actually happening is small. Nonetheless, Minifree can also provide tamper-proof seals and other means of mitigating the risk. You have to make sure you have a GPG keyring for your email, then import our public key (from the contact page). Do not order through the website, send us your info via email: name, address, telephone number etc and what you would like to purchase. We will send you a custom invoice. This level of secrecy partially mitigates the risk.

Then before shipping, I would make such modifications to the laptop and send you pictures, encrypted, of what to check when it arrives.

This isn't a foolproof method, and only covers disassembly. For software tampering, we can also provide a secured configuration; see:

https://libreboot.org/docs/gnulinux/encrypted_trisquel.html

https://libreboot.org/docs/gnulinux/grub_hardening.html

Minifree can also accept in-person visits, in exceptional circumstances. Normally we don't do it, as stated on the website, but we do sometimes make exceptions.

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 07/07/2017

Good to know. Thanks Leah. I look forward to buying from you when my X60 finally dies. X60's seem to be immortal though.

Libreboot is working on the X220, right? Is there an ETA for that?

libreleah
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/03/2017

Not yet, unfortunately. I've had to delay that work, hence the X200 re-launch. The 15 or so people who pre-ordered the X220 have all been notified as of today, asking what they would like to do regarding their order.

Minifree is selling the X200 and T400 for the forseeable future, until I either finish that work or devise an alternative.

vltr
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 09/30/2017

I endorse this. Minifree is not a good option.

Technoethical's products are simply much better.

User0
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 09/20/2017

Sorry for Starting this.
But personally believe that technoetic is a better company that REALY support Free Software with products and Donations.
Also, when I first learn about Libreboot for stallman computing page,
I went to libreboot and learn about a MiniFree and then I start to search for the libreleah. Because I have read that she is in the Libreboot Project and I was thinking that Mini free have good Free Software Computer to buy . (Because libreleah is working on Libreboot project) (In my mind was Libreboot=Minifree) (Name MiniFree Product name Libreboot X200 [Only minifree do that]) .

After a research I found there is more companies and I said to myself why she is in the Libreboot Project and She created a Company base on Libreboot .

Then on some days I saw that Libreboot Then I have read some article for libreleah and after a long time I saw again libreboot back in Gnu Again.

After that I saw at Trisquel forum a post from tehnoetic for T400s, I jump in the post and as I was reading I saw an answer from liberally that says something problem with T400s and then I read in another answer to Tiberiu that she says [ I know more for libreboot trust me ] . Also, she said that Mini Free is working with T400 and it better. In 1 week she starts again with X200.

(So now in my mind is liberally = Money).

Sorry for my English.

Gnu
Gnu
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 03/08/2012

Ministry of Freedom is better!
My Libreboot X200 bought in 2016 is perfect!

So? Who wins?

User0
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 09/20/2017

No one wins my friend .
At the end all we will lose if this will go on .
my beleve is that Minifree must change product name to MiniFree x200 .
And Libreleah it was not supposed to Answer at Tehnoetic post for T400s .
The tehnoetic do there job .
Also Libreleah must do .
(Customers have the voice No the other Companies)
Sorry for my English

libreleah
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/03/2017

Btw I repeatedly said, in this thread, that Technoethical is also a good alternative to Minifree. This, in spite of them spamming about themselves in this thread that wasn't about them.

At no point have I ever told people not to buy from Technoethical. I have only ever asked Technoethical to stop slandering and trashing Minifree in this thread. All I want is for the dispute to either end, or not resume.

vltr
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 09/30/2017

The problem is that you compare Minifree with Technoethical but you cannot deal with a review of a customer making a real comparison between the two companies.

According to my experience Technoethical is not sending laptops which are not clean, written with tippex, without Bluethooth, without a cam, with a wrong administrative password, etc... Technoethical also answer the emails and calls from its customers and treat them with respect without calling them things in front of others inside a forum thread. Neither they order them not to speak nor attempt they not to share their customer experience with others.

Technoethical also does not rely on EU regulation to mislead customers, neither they rely in the prestige of others (FSF) putting on risk the credibility of libre software.

If other orders are like mine you should be ready to admit that Technoethical sells products of superior quality than Minifree does. But you don't do that. You claim that Minifrees quality is the same sold at a lower price. The thing about the price has been proven in this thread not to be true. The thing about the quality, according to the experience that we had in my family with our order from Minifree, was neither true.

We just wanted to make a review for the sake of others. As I said we just want to avoid others to have to go through the same horrible experience we had to deal with. I do not want Minifree not to have customers but I would just like all of them in the future are treated with respect, their emails are answered and that the product that they receive is of a minimal quality, is clean not written with tippex. While you achieve to do that it is not bad that people also get notice that they can find products of quality at Technoethical.

I think my point is fair and reasonable. Yours calling your customers things and trying them not to share their experience is not.

libreleah
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/03/2017

I'll say it once more: your order was a mistake. I rectified it as best i could. You chose not to exercise your rights. You are still well within your right to either receive a refund, repair or replacement of any faulty product that you received.

I'll also say this once more: your bad review is not what bothers me. You very fairly and reasonably stated your experience with Minifree.

But you went further than that: you tried to suggest that everyone who orders from Minifree will experience the same as you. This is not true.

I'll say once more: Minifree deals with a large number of customers. Mistakes do happen, occasionally. Like with you.

I still refuse to admit your accusations of Minifree offering poor quality products or bad service. I agree that this was the case with *your* order, and that I also made attempts to rectify the mistakes that I made with *your* order. But in general, this is false.

Up until today, Minifree was doing just fine and making many orders, and shipping many orders. We don't ask customers to review us, though perhaps we should from now on. You and Tiberiu are doing great damage to Minifree's reputation.

And it's unfair as heck. I ask that you stop.

vltr
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 09/30/2017

Please Leah, do not continue.

I just wanted to share a review with others and you are turning things worse again and again. If the experience of my family was just one out of few errors in the businesses trajectory of Minifree just face it and let people at least to express themselves. But no, it seems that you get very nervous about a simple customer review. Why? Has Minifree a side that doesn't want people to know about? Well, I honestly do not know. What I know is the experience that I share. Nonetheless your reaction make me just recall that latin said: "Excusatio non petita accusatio manifesta". I wonder to know just why that is coming to my mind...

I would have not continue writing after my first post if you had not called me things not had involved me in an international conspiracy against you. Everything that I said is completely true and I have the means of proving any of my instances, however all the things that you said about me arranging with Tiberiu a campaign against you is not true at all and as a lawyer I can say to you that under certain premises those statements could even be considered personal defamation.

>I'll say it once more: your order was a mistake. I rectified it as best i could. You chose not to exercise your rights. You are still well within your right to either receive a refund, repair or replacement of any faulty product that you received.

No, you never rectified and as I said before I have the means to prove that. I have no problem in letting any moderator of the forum or any person from the certificate process of the FSF to enter know about the facts of this case. You just offered yourself to replace our laptop after we began to write our review in this forum, and as Tiberiu told you it is not good business policy trying to solve problems after do not care for trying to avoid them. The problem is that in my family we do not want any replacement any longer. We had that bad experience with Minifree and we do not want anything more from Minifree as we say in Spain not even for free. Now we just wanted to make a review built seems you cannot deal with an honest review but just with what you like to hear.

I personally do not have anything against you, nor my family. We just had that bad experience and we moved on. We highly appreciate the work that you make with Libreboot and that is why even though we had a very pleasant experience with Technoethical in the past and had plans to buy more from them in the future we decided also to acquire one laptop from Minifree and give it a try. Specially because one member of the family appreciated your work and we decided to buy him for his birthday a laptop from Minifree. However in dealing with our order you followed not a good business behaviour not to say that you completely disappointed us on the personal side.

loldier
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 02/17/2016

Anybody would get paranoid with this amount of trashing. You make it sound like she killed your pet dog.

Why don't you cut some slack and tell us if you're going to accept Minifree's free replacement or not. I haven't seen you address that point so far, though I haven't been looking through everything in this thread. It would be decent to let us know how to best placate you so you may move on.

libreleah
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/03/2017

I literally do not defraud or deceive my customers.

I literally ship every order, or refund when requested.

The comments by this person and Tiberiu in this thread are blatant, consistent, concentrated attacks against me.

I ship almost every order, in good time, and the products that I sell are of decent quality. I occasionally make mistakes, like anyone, so one or two customers get a faulty product or I somehow forget to ship their order... it happens. Not often, but it does. When it does, I immediately send a replacement or, at their request, refund them. I even apologize to them. It doesn't happen often. With most customers who I do mess up an order with (and again, it's rare that I do), they are usually happy with me after I rectify the problem.

It happened with this person. They complained to me. In the event, I very likely refunded them, but they're not revealing this. Or I hurried up their order and shipped it immediately. Difference with this person is they won't accept my apology.

I also apologized, in this thread...

I'll prove here and now that I'm genuine. Here goes...

vltr: So, if I understand correctly from your post, are you now admitting that you never had me refund you?

Yes or no: did I refund you.
If the answer is no, please send me your wiring instructions immediately, via email, and I'll refund you.

Don't believe me? Send that email.

Stop attacking me publicly, stop telling people that Minifree is universally unreliable and abusive to all of its customers (it isn't). Stop trying to trash my reputation, and stop telling people that Minifree deceives its customers.

And stop suggesting that your experience was any more than a simple, honest screw-up on my part, which I've freely admitted in this thread, many times...

vltr
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 09/30/2017

Of course we did not get refunded and as I have said many times in this thread we did not get any solution from you. The same that we did not receive a good product either a good customer assistance. That is why we wrote the review.

When we wrote the first post we just wanted to tell others our experience with Minifree and we compared it with the great experience that we had with Technoethical. Are you able to deal with that once and for all?

Please, stop misleading people who just read one post and not the whole thread inventing constantly the facts of the case.

I have made everything clear several times in this thread, but it seems that you just try to leave some lies here and there inside the thread just for misleading anyone who is not able to read the whole thread.

Are you asking so many times about the same things for real? What kind of business manager are you not being able to recall exactly the facts of the case and inventing them in from of others?

Please, stop mistreating and offending your customers, this time thinking that you can buy their silence.

loldier
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 02/17/2016

This is getting totally out of hand. Ridiculously predictable, though.

You call refund and free replacement "buying silence"?

A business has no other obligation. Leah has gone to great lengths to amend her mistake and yet you fail to appreciate anything that she's been doing to set things right. She's reached out to you and you fail to recognize her true intentions.

You pretend to be butt-hurt and go on with this crusade like no end and refuse to accept an apology.

There's no business in the world that has a magic wand to turn back time.

Take it or leave it but please come to your senses. There are customers and there are shills. Take your pick.

libreleah
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/03/2017

Yes, this ^

vltr: So you finally admit it? You didn't ask for a refund, did you?
All you had to do in the beginning was send me your wiring instructions. Every other Minifree customer in the history of Minifree, who has requested a refund, has gotten one.

Immediately. <-- emphasis on this

This former customer of mine does not appreciate the great lengths I've gone to to make things right, with their order, one of those few rare ones I mess up on - which I've admitted I messed up several times.

Instead of being happy, they went an an angry crusade against me trying to suggest that everyone will have the same bad experience as them. If that were true, Minifree would have stopped doing business a long time ago.

Hell I'd probably even be in prison, instead of defending myself against this troll on the Trisquel forums.

vltr
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 09/30/2017

>My Libreboot X200 bought in 2016 is perfect!

>So? Who wins?

As a customer of both companies I can assure you that Technoethical wins ... BY FAR.

Sorry for using capitals but just wanted to stress that latter.