Trisquel 10 release?

12 réponses [Dernière contribution]
Vanack Sabbadium
A rejoint: 03/05/2019

Hi everyone.
Sorry to bother, i was just wondering when will Trisquel 10 be released?

Canonical released the 21.04 version of Ubuntu, and Trisquel 9 is solid but it's becoming too aged (still 18.04 based) and most of new app versions are broken due to missing dependencies. I'm using old programs versions or AppImage/Flatpak versions, but i'd like the main repository to be updated.

Thanks for the answer.

nadebula.1984
A rejoint: 05/01/2018

Trisquel follows the LTS path, so Trisquel 10 would be based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, and I hope it could be released before 2025, when Ubuntu 20.04 LTS's support ends, otherwise it would be highly embarrassing that an LTS-based distribution has no official support (already expired) when released.

Obsolescence is a common problem for fixed-release distributions (let alone LTS). And I prefer freshness to (so-called) stability. I use Debian unstable/experimental mixed repositories: The bugs get fixed very quickly. Even if the desktop environment fails, I could press Ctrl+Alt+F2 and run "sudo tasksel" to install a secondary desktop environment as a workaround.

andyprough
A rejoint: 02/12/2015

Have you tried Devuan unstable, and if so did you have any more difficulty than with your Debian unstable/experimental mix?

I'm just wondering. I've had good luck with Devuan unstable, but I'm thinking adding in Debian experimental packages could cause some difficulty.

nadebula.1984
A rejoint: 05/01/2018

I could try Devuan unstable when convenient.

That I use experimental repository of Debian is because I always need latest packages for our research in the lab. Even a single function added to any GNU Octave package may be important to us.

Debian allows the users to set priorities of repositories. For example, I sometimes use a mixture of testing, unstable, and experimental.

lanun
A rejoint: 04/01/2021

> when will Trisquel 10 be released?

It has already been released, but we were all asleep at the desk so we missed it. I guess we'll have to wait for Trisquel 11 now. I'll make myself some extra coffee, I would not want to be stuck with Trisquel 9 until 2024, as much as I like it.

> I hope it could be released before 2025

We can see you are wise enough to stick to realistic hopes. Or were you in fact talking about Trisquel 12?

Cyberhawk

I am a translator!

A rejoint: 07/27/2010

Trisquel 9 being based on 18.04 is not that big of an issue. You always can have the newest linux-libre kernel, so you don't miss out on patches or upgrades made there. Maybe you were not aware of jxself hosting this beautiful project: linux-libre deb mirror.

I'm running Triskel 9.0 and here is what "uname -r" tells me:
5.12.6-gnu

Also, have a look here - it seems to suggest, that Abrowser gets the newest updates from upstream. And this probably means NOT from Ubuntu repository. After all, it is not exactly the same as Firefox packaged with Ubuntu, so it only makes sense it would have it's own update schedule, depending only on the update schedule of Mozilla themselves.

So if the kernel and the browser are up-to-date, there is not much that can go wrong in terms of security.

Vanack Sabbadium

I already use the latest linux-libre kernel, and i'm not saying i'm aware of security issues. I care too much about my own security (i use Tor Browser as daily and regular browser, which is periodically updated to the latest firefox esr version).

I'm aware of some programs i use that are not update into main Trisquel repositories for obvious reasons of incompatibility with old and obsolete libraries. I tried with deb packages on main sites (gimp or flowblade for example), but they obviously fail due to "library xxx-yy-zz missing and not installable". So the only thing is to hope for an AppImage version (best thing because it doesn't need any external dependency) or a FlatPak version (which is not suggested on Trisquel by default and fails to agree to the "FSF rules", if we can say so).

So i am either stuck with old versions or new versions not directly downloaded from Trisquel repositories, which is becoming more and more frequent.

Cyberhawk

I am a translator!

A rejoint: 07/27/2010

+1 for the idea of switching to a rolling release. If you are always after the latest version of everything or just want to have a specific version of just-this-one app which is not yet available in Trisquel-repo, the easiest thing to do is switch to a rolling release distro.

Also, you can always try to help out with development of Trisquel 10 and speed that up ;-)

Vanack Sabbadium

Oh well. It was not exactly the answer i was looking for, but thanks anyway.

Avron

I am a translator!

A rejoint: 08/18/2020

You could also use Guix on top of Trisquel.

alelias
A rejoint: 06/03/2021

I would appreciate an answer to the op if anyone has any insight beyond "hopefully before 2025"

lanun
A rejoint: 04/01/2021

Aye, Oin has read the portents, and the portents say: it is time.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

A rejoint: 07/15/2009

We need to manually check some bits on the 5.8 kernel.
That takes time, knowledge and it's not amusingly fun to work on it, but it's necessary in order to complete the base packages to achieve a netinstaller.

That'll allow to later start working on the UI and customized packages and so on.

We've been cleaning nabia repository, fixing packages, pushing updates and also for etiona.
Backports got libreoffice 7.1.3 for etiona, icedove got fixed and there is 78.8.1, etc., etc.

So, the trip is long, but I'm optimistic that we'll get it "before 2025", just kidding.
There is no release schedule, as there is a lot of work and few hands, cheers to Pablo whose help is helping bootstrap some stucked tasks.

Hope that helps you get a bigger picture.