Trisquel 9.0 Etiona is out!

23 réponses [Dernière contribution]
quidam

I am a member!

I am a translator!

A rejoint: 12/22/2004

Read the announcement at https://trisquel.info/en/trisquel-90-etiona-release-announcement-and-100-plans

Thanks to everybody for the patience, support, help and encouragement!

Ruben
PS: let's start with T10!

gnudev
A rejoint: 08/03/2020

so happy to hear that... thanks for your hard working all Trisquel guys!

IrishUSA
A rejoint: 12/03/2016

Congratulations!

pepe1

I am a member!

A rejoint: 04/10/2017

Thank you very much to all Trisquel development team for this wonderful release.

Malsasa
A rejoint: 12/01/2016

Congratulations! Thank you very much Ruben Rodriguez.

kete
A rejoint: 08/11/2012

Thanks, this came as a big surprise to me. How do we upgrade? I tried sudo apt update and sudo apt dist-upgrade but no updates.

quidam

I am a member!

I am a translator!

A rejoint: 12/22/2004

From 8.0, you can run "sudo do-release-upgrade"

kete

do-release-upgrade didn't upgrade.

Checking for a new Trisquel release
No new release found.
sudo apt update
4 packages can be upgraded.
sudo apt upgrade
The following packages will be upgraded:
linux-libc-dev python3-distupgrade trisquel-release-upgrader-core
trisquel-release-upgrader-gtk
sudo do-release-upgrade
Checking for a new Trisquel release
No new release found.

I checked the update settings and found, "Notify me of a new Trisquel version". I changed that from "For long-term support versions" to "For any new version" and tried updating apt and using the Software Updater, but I still couldn't kick off a release upgrade. The man pages for do-release-upgrade and update-manager didn't look helpful.

kete
kete

Ug, it was going well until I forgot about not letting the screen lock. Now, there's no login to unlock the screen.

PS—I slogin'd. MotD says, reboot required. I checked top. Nothing was running except a Web browser, so I rebooted, got cryptsetup login. That worked. I got my user login. Oh, I need to switch the desktop background to the new one. It looks like I made it :-)

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

A rejoint: 07/24/2010

I am finally taking the time to upgrade. For some reason, neither the graphical Update Manager nor 'sudo do-release-upgrade' proposes me Trisquel 9. 'sudo do-release-upgrade -d' does. It is running right now. Am I the only facing that issue?

Martins
A rejoint: 04/24/2013

Doing sudo do-release-upgrade as-is on two different working Trisquel 8.0 installations failed to offer anything new. After repeating the command for a development version with -d in either system, could Trisquel 9.0 be found.

The irreversible upgrade completed on both systems. Only one (Lenovo x250) could start Trisquel 9.0 thereafter. The first (Asus E402M) system had an updated grub but Trisquel 9.0 would lead to text on a frozen black screen "loading ramdisk..."

Both Trisquel 8.0 systems previously started with the newly made Trisquel 9.0 live boot menu, but only the Lenovo x250 could launch to the OS. I had hoped that do-release-upgrade would somehow bypass the problem in the asus system, which for the longest time had also refused to load the live Trisquel 8.0 beta release. There is an issue with non-free firmware in it that was identified in a later release.

Jabjabs
A rejoint: 07/05/2014

Wonderful news. See folks, just be patient and good things will come.

matam
A rejoint: 03/14/2019

Great news, thank You! Is there a way to upgrade from Trisquel 9? So should I wait for my system to offer an upgrade process, or is it only possible by downloading the new version and installing manually?

davidpgil
A rejoint: 08/26/2015

Bravo! Lets goooo!!!

Rafa Poverello
A rejoint: 08/09/2016

Gracias por el trabajo: a Rubén y al resto de desarrolladores/as :-).

PublicLewdness
A rejoint: 03/15/2020

Congrats ! I was already using Trisquel 9 on my desktop for months now (shows how polished it already was) but will be moving my laptop over to 9.0 now.

Telstar
A rejoint: 08/17/2011

Great work! Thank you, quidam and everybody who worked on this release!

amtrakuk
A rejoint: 11/25/2019

Great work guys - I'm sure I will enjoy 9 as I have with 8. Thanks for the hard work your providing one of the few gnu distros with ethics - please keep supporting the team with contributions guys!

amtrakuk
A rejoint: 11/25/2019

Great to see Jami is included in Trisquel 9, moreover Trisquel closes down without hanging - as per a manual install on Jami.

Chris

I am a member!

A rejoint: 04/23/2011

Wow- awesome. So glad to see this finally released! I thought it was good to go (stable and seemingly working) quite some while back.

niyasc
A rejoint: 07/12/2011

Congrats on new release.

I explored Trisquel 9 inside Virtual Box and created a preview video. The video is available here in YouTube.
https://youtu.be/dwx_B3S4kmc

Actually, I wanted to try it on a bootable pendrive. I was able to boot in UEFI mode, but the display was not scaling wrt my screen. May because of missing display drivers. It was shown in 1024x768 resolution and there was no other option available in display settings. So, I moved to VirtualBox. Still I was not able to get the display scaled wrt screen. However, there were many options avialable in dispaly settings, so, I choose the best available resolution for video capture.

Screenshot from 2020-10-31 02-45-38.png Screenshot from 2020-10-31 02-45-57.png
strypey
A rejoint: 05/14/2015

Great work everyone. Very satisfying to see Etiona reach an official release :D

Other than suggesting names, what else can the community do to help Trisquel 10 come out quicker than the last two releases? It's no longer possible to hit the old target of a Trisquel 10 release 6 months after the release of Ubuntu 20.04. But is there any chance we could get it released by the time 21.04 comes out?

I have a bunch of ideas for T10, but most of them have already been expressed as feedback on Flidas and Etiona RCs. I'll open a separate thread for that or comment on an existing one related to T10 dev.

Ra
Ra
A rejoint: 07/23/2014

Installed Trisquel mini quickly and without problems on an old Lenovo 3000 N100 laptop (32-bit). Looks good, but I have only used Midori and the media player so far.
Some observations:
- Midori got a huge upgrade and some (at least one) bugs fixed, which I appreciate much.
- Why are there 2 media players pre-installed, that seem to be the same (Mplayer)?
- Torrents here for downloading the iso didn't work several times when I tried over the last months. Dowloaded it from a different website: https://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2020/10/trisquel-9-lts-finally-released-with-download-links-mirrors-and-torrents.html (links to FSF torrents)