Trisquel-mini – Why so Fast and Efficient…?

100 réponses [Dernière contribution]
Andy

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 02/02/2020

As I use both mini and the full version – could any of our learned members explain why Ttisquel-mini LXDE is so efficient. Is there an inherent reason why it is more efficient than the sub ubuntu version it is based on? Neofetch says 128MiB RAM used…!
Whether on an old XP-Pro 3D CAD HDD station, Dell E6420 i7 SSD laptop, HP G60 laptop or old low spec Toshiba Satellite laptop it is just so fast and snappy being so light on resources.
Thanks Guys….

JC8
JC8
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 12/29/2020

LXDE is extremely lightweight and minimalist, that's the main reason. Trisquel-mini also comes with less packages out of the box, that's why it's called mini. If you want to go one step further in minimalism, simplicity and light resource consumption check out IceWM.

Malsasa
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 12/01/2016

As an Ubuntu user I understand that Ubuntu official family includes
snap where Trisquel does not. That contributes, I believe
significantly, to your lightweight case beyond the basics
jamelcastells above already explained. However, you report is very
interesting, especially the 128MiB number you mentioned, to me it's
excellent in 2021.

See also https://linuxdreambox.wordpress.com/2017/09/23/warning-packagekitd-and-snapd-eat-bandwidth.

Regards,
Malsasa

Andy

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 02/02/2020

Not convinced at all by that R-Pi IceWM guy. He shouts about 20MiB RAM used but when you look he has 163 tasks with ONLY ONE RUNNING and yes 162 Sleeping. Guess that if I stopped all but one tasks I could get this low RAM figure too?
His CPU load is far heavier than Trisquel or Trisquel-mini.

Andy

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 02/02/2020

Thanks Guys - I thought Trisquel-mini on my old XP-Pro 3D CAD workstation was super efficient at 143Mib but these unknown guys over somewhere, I guess in Eastern Europe have trumped my system…..
https://www.sistemlinux.org/2018/04/trisquel-mini-8-0-lts-flidas-incelemesi.html
Have you guys any idea as to country or language?
EDIT: Just spotted flag at foot of page - Turkish flag, is a red flag featuring a white star and crescent - or Ottoman for us oldies.
Guess Trisquel users are far and wide..?

trisquel-mini-8s.png temp2crop-01.png
andyprough
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 02/12/2015

You are doing well, any time you can get a modern distro to boot in under 350mb you are considered "minimalist". And you are running less than half that. Well done!

Here's some things that could help you on your quest to get even lower.

When you use the "free" command, it's handy to use the "h" flag to make it "human readable": 'free -h'

To see what processes are eating your memory, use the 'top' command and then the Shift-M key combo, to sort all your processes by which ones use the most memory. Sometimes you can find a process you don't need that you can remove from autostart, and reduce your initial memory. One thing that top will show you is that your terminal is probably using 20mb of memory, plus or minus a bit. Instead of running commands in a terminal, just switch to a tty to save yourself that +/-20mb.

Another way to look for ways to cut down on memory usage is by using the 'pstree' command, which normally comes as part of the 'psmisc' package. 'sudo apt install psmisc', and then 'pstree'. This will give you a printout of all the services your computer is using, in tree form. You may find that, unbeknownst to you, your computer was running bluetooth service or cups or saned service when you didn't have any bluetooth or printer or scanner you were using with it. Turning off unused services can sometimes shave down your memory usage.

If you have been using the computer for awhile and want to recover memory without having to reboot, there are a couple of commands you can try. You have to make yourself the root user in the terminal or tty to run these commands:
#to clear page memory (should be safe):
sync; echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
#to clear dentries and inodes [MORE RISKY - could have some data loss] (dentries are data structure that represents a directory and inodes are data structure that represent a file)
sync; echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
#to clear swap, if you are using swap:
swapoff -a && swapon -a

Andy

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 02/02/2020

Hi AndyPrough – Note 143 MiB used was for T-mini v8. Now with v9 Trisquel-mini-MAX loaded up with applications from LibreOffice, Gimp, video editing etc etc – the figure is around 250MiB but still so wickedly fast compared with other “lightweight distros.”

Tend to use $ free or free -m so that my old brain has all columns with same units but $ free -h is cool.
You minimalist guys are getting to the old fool – just had to find out what tty was – interesting old school tech. Used F3 to get in but did not know how to get out or how to take screenshot let alone save it. Suppose I could have used old school camera…? Bombed out with exit, then powered off.
Yes tty does save a little – thanks.
Always wondered why Trisquel-mini came with all those different terminals..? So in main Trisquel on old HP G60 I checked the tick boxes in Accessories for UX and XTerm only to find that this action alone slowed things down a little. See screenshots below – interesting..? Will have to see if I can duplicate results on the Dell Trisquel-mini notebook. Why does top command reveal three users...?
Have known since day one ubuntu $ sudo apt install psmisc or whatever but always wondered why such stuff wasn’t in the stock repository as say XTerm is..? Does this 'pstree' show anything that is not covered by a systemd command similar to $ systemd-analyze critical-chain - for start up..? Is $ sudo apt install *** totally safe – where is it dragging it from? Sorry for dumb question but just something I have shied away from and have not needed up till now.
Thanks for a great post or should I say reference page and getting old brain thinking about post on minimalist topic – am I beginning to see the light….?

ps – have you seen the pages of tricks and variables for XTerm – cannot retain this much data but found Ctrl + mouse, left right and centre useful but failed at colours.

Ttrisquel-v9-free-h.png Trisquel-XTerm-Term-HPG60.png
andyprough
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 02/12/2015

> "You minimalist guys are getting to the old fool – just had to find out what tty was – interesting old school tech. Used F3 to get in but did not know how to get out or how to take screenshot let alone save it."

There are usually 7 tty screens, and you can access them with the Control-Alt-F1 through Control-Alt-F7 key combinations. The graphical screen is almost always on the 7th tty, so you would go back to your Trisquel desktop by using the Control-Alt-F7 key combination.

>"Have known since day one ubuntu $ sudo apt install psmisc or whatever but always wondered why such stuff wasn’t in the stock repository as say XTerm is..? Does this 'pstree' show anything that is not covered by a systemd command similar to $ systemd-analyze critical-chain - for start up..? Is $ sudo apt install *** totally safe – where is it dragging it from? Sorry for dumb question but just something I have shied away from and have not needed up till now."

Oh, no problem. "sudo apt install " is just the way to install programs from the terminal instead of from a graphical program like the Software Manager or like Synaptic. They are all pulling programs from the exact same Trisquel repos, so there's no safety concern.

As far as comparing it to the output of 'systemd-analyze critical-chain', pstree shows many more running services than the systemd command does.

I do notice that the psmisc is available through the 'sudo apt isntall psmisc' command but not through the Trisquel Software Manager application. I think the Software Manager just installs bigger programs like Firefox and Libreoffice, not small command line utilities like psmisc.

But pstree is only useful if you are hunting for more ways to save more memory. Since you are already at a very low level of memory usage already, I think you may not want to keep hunting for more services to disable. You have a very fast, low-memory Trisquel system - probably you should just enjoy it rather than trying to hack on it (like I would).

lanun
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/01/2021

> for us oldies

Indeed. The Ottoman Empire was brought to its tragic end in 1922.

andyprough
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 02/12/2015

Would still be going to, if it hadn't been for that dratted Lawrence of Arabia...

https://yewtu.be/watch?v=vOlRhGEhG7k

Andy

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 02/02/2020

Guess you guys over the pond get all your history remade, rewritten and regurgitated by Hollywood – Oh Dear! Top Gun – What a Joke :) Lol
Apparently most Americans can’t even point to Afghanistan, Iraq or Vietnam on a map!
Did not know Arabia was part of the Ottoman Empire at the time…! Or even Arabic…!
AFAIK In 1914, T.E. Lawrence helped to map the Negev Desert which might be used by the Ottoman Empire allied with Germany.
As to what you wish to imply – only you know?

Andy

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 02/02/2020

Thanks Malsasa - As I understand it Mint does not allow Snaps either and suggest their lightweight version, PeppermintOS, which we can therefore compare with Trisquel-mini. Does not use snaps either?
You will read all over the web that PeppermintOS, ignoring all of its faults, is so fast and efficient. Indeed lightening fast – speed, speed and more speed….. where 400MiB RAM used at idle is considered very lean or frugal.
Pity all testers are ignorant of Trisquel-mini LXDE where I consider half of that figure to be efficient. Stability is taken for granted.
Even though PeppermintOS is efficient we still do not have an explanation of why Trisquel-mini LXDE is more efficient! Peppermint’s faults perhaps leading to discrepancy…?
Any more ideas guys – please help.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/peppermint-10-review.html

Could anyone explain this cloud based OS and its reliance on Google and Microsoft – Yikes! I’m confused…

https://www.ubuntupit.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-peppermint-linux-os/

Andy

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 02/02/2020

Thought you might like to see cold start boot up times for my juiced up Trisquel-min-max with LibreOffice, Abrowser GIMP et all added - 13.9secs...!

Fast-01.png
Andy

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 02/02/2020

As you may have noticed I have been busy with those anti-truth groupthink downvote Andy brigade; who I have been feeding plenty of rope and long pieces of string with a hook on one end. They got really uptight and started misusing the voting system again and again to hide evidence.
The wayland fanboys got really agitated by my Trisquel-mini Nvidia X.org Nouveau logs that proved that all was well graphically on my Dell (with large input from those clever devs here at Trisquel.)
I can now say that one reason my system is fast and stable is that I am NOT using wayland.
A second reason of equal importance is that I am not using KDE Plasma which is so heavy on resources and disk space.
Here are the recent screenshots that upset the wayland and KDE fanboys so much.
Note the “Available graphics memory: 2097152 kiB” – Is this part of the reason why my system is so fast and snappy – stable too..?

More to follow later on RAM issue.

Graph-Dell-01.png Graph-Dell-02.png
Magic Banana

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 07/24/2010

The wayland fanboys got really agitated by my Trisquel-mini Nvidia X.org Nouveau logs

Where have you seen agitation? Nouveau (used by Wayland as well, as you have been explained many times) runs on your system. So what? It definitely does not show that "one reason [your] system is fast and stable is that [you are] NOT using wayland".

Here are the recent screenshots that upset the wayland and KDE fanboys so much.

Those screenshots are completely irrelevant. What is upsetting is your copying-pasting of the same irrelevant posts for weeks, claiming people on this forum are "anti-truth", making false accusations, etc.

Note the “Available graphics memory: 2097152 kiB”

That shows your discrete graphics card has 2 GiB of RAM. So what?

Magic Banana

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 07/24/2010

This groupthink-fanboys organised vote rigging - ganging up on a lone individual who challenges their views and stands up for free speech, is of course widespread across forums but most will recognise this tawdry, infantile, counterproductive behaviour from their schooldays in the playground where the school bully and his mates pick on one schoolboy or girl. Some here have obviously not grown out of such behaviour as when found out they start crying – it wasn’t me Sir - it was his fault.

Who is crying here?

You do not challenge any view. You have been copying-pasting the same texts for weeks, as if the more you repeat them the truer they would become (children do that). When you are explained why your "arguments" are irrelevant, you just ignore it (like children who put their fingers in their ears) and repeat the same thing again.

You also make false accusations, insult, etc. You can have all the freedom of speech you want on your own site. This community has guidelines you constantly violate, hence the downvoting: https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/trisquel-community-guidelines

Magic Banana >Those screenshots are completely irrelevant.<
Is that the opinion of someone who could not cut it in the real world so ended up teaching. As we engineers in the real world often say “If you can’t hack it – teach it.”

That is an ad-hominem argument. Besides denoting your lack of valid argument, it is a valid reason to downvote your post, in my humble opinion.

IMHO it is your comments that are totally irrelevant

Rather than only answering like a child ("you say my comments are irrelevant; I say yours are irrelevant"), please explain how logs of nouveau running on your system with Xorg tell anything about Wayland (which uses nouveau too).

By the way, almost three weeks after I linked to my hundreds of MB of system logs with Wayland running (I have now removed them), you have apparently found nothing interesting in them: https://trisquel.info/forum/mate-lose-themes-and-x11-support?page=1#comment-160823

There was indeed nothing interesting to find: I have faced no Wayland-related issue, after months using it. That is mere anecdotal evidence, but since you insisted to see my logs (claiming that Wayland crashes on my system!)...

Note the “Available graphics memory: 2097152 kiB”
Magic Banana >That shows your discrete graphics card has 2 GiB of RAM. So what?<
and >Those screenshots are completely irrelevant.<
It shows that the nouveau graphics driver is performing just fine and can access the 2 GiB of RAM without crashing unlike Wayland which CRASHES and has MAJOR BUGS and LOOSES your DATA..!!!!

It shows your discrete graphics card has 2 GiB of RAM. Nothing more. I hope you will not copy-paste that piece of information for weeks until, in your mind (and only in your mind, I believe), it becomes a relevant argument against Wayland.

Just in case you forgot (joke) I will repeat up to date information:- >MAJOR BUGS in WAYLAND session but NOT the X11 session<

The "joke" (I would say "spam") is not funny. For weeks now, you have literally copied-pasted that sentence dozens of times on this forum: 18 times on a single page ( https://trisquel.info/forum/mate-lose-themes-and-x11-support?page=1#comment-160992 ), four times in the original post of a thread you opened ( https://trisquel.info/fr/forum/wonky-wayland-reality-show-coming-your-screens-soon ), etc.

The bugs you are referring to are in KDE components. Not in Wayland itself. Several of us have already explained you that.

Legimet
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 12/10/2013

I switched to Wayland (KDE Plasma) today. So far I haven't had any crashes or other issues, and it seems much more polished than when I last tried it. Here's a screenshot, not that it means very much.

screenshot.png
andyprough
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 02/12/2015

Does anyone here that's been arguing these points (besides @Andy, and me sometimes, and lanun/Ianun/|anun) actually run Trisquel?

Just wondering. I see a lot of people talking to @Andy in a condescending manner. Which, granted, @Andy's not very technically savvy about a lot of things. However, it would be a better look if the people who were trying to shut @Andy up were running Trisquel themselves.

I think that's really @Andy's main point - Trisquel is running great, without Wayland, without the latest greatest kernel or the latest greatest version of KDE, or without running the least amount of memory usage. I get it, and it's a very good point.

Trisquel is quite simply an amazing OS, and more of us should be spending more of our time in it.

Legimet
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 12/10/2013

I used to use Trisquel (and contribute to it) several years ago, but I switched to Debian when at one point Trisquel's security updates just stopped. This is no longer an issue now, but I have since come to prefer rolling release and now use Debian unstable. At this point some of the packages in Trisquel are just too old for my needs. For example, earlier this year I took a CS class that required a version of Coq that is only present in Ubuntu 20.04 and newer. I have nothing against Trisquel, it just isn't the best option for me.

What I dislike about Andy's behavior is that he goes around the forum bashing Wayland and KDE, lashing out at people who disagree with him, and accusing them of spreading misinformation. I haven't asked for his posts to be removed or anything, but I do think it would be better if he made his points without making personal attacks. I don't think anyone was suggesting that Trisquel use KDE by default anyway.

lanun
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/01/2021

> I don't think anyone was suggesting that Trisquel use KDE by default anyway.

As a matter of fact, someone was:

https://trisquel.info/en/forum/could-kde-be-permanent-options-des

Legimet
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 12/10/2013

"A permanent option" is not the same as the default. Although KDE already exists as a permanent option, since there is a Triskel iso available.

lanun
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/01/2021

> KDE already exists as a permanent option, since there is a Triskel iso available.

Indeed. What was the point then?

Legimet
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 12/10/2013

I'm not really sure. I didn't make the thread.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 07/24/2010

Does anyone here that's been arguing these points (besides @Andy, and me sometimes, and lanun/Ianun/|anun) actually run Trisquel?

I do (and have been doing so for a dozen years or so), although not on my main laptop anymore (since July), because Ubiquity could not install Trisquel 9 on that recent machine, whatever the configuration of the BIOS.

I see a lot of people talking to @Andy in a condescending manner.

I mostly see Andy insulting members of this forum, which are according to him "anti-truth", "infantile", etc. In his last post, Andy has just called me "someone who could not cut it in the real world so ended up teaching", whereas he is among "engineers in the real world" with "multi-million dollar contracts". Who is condescending?

Which, granted, @Andy's not very technically savvy about a lot of things.

Aren't you tired of reading the same texts over and over? For weeks now, Andy has been copying-pasting the same quotes from 2013 about Wayland not being ready, repeating ad nauseam that the Wayland session in KDE has major bugs (bugs actually in KWin, Plasma, etc.), that nouveau running on his system and his video card having 2 GiB of RAM would somehow prove that Wayland crashes, etc. Even when we ignore him, the same posts keep coming.

However, it would be a better look if the people who were trying to shut @Andy up were running Trisquel themselves.

To experience a Wayland session, Trisquel is currently inadequate.

I think that's really @Andy's main point - Trisquel is running great, without Wayland, without the latest greatest kernel or the latest greatest version of KDE, or without running the least amount of memory usage. I get it, and it's a very good point.

It is. I agree and I have not seen any interlocutor of Andy disagree with that. But when Andy writes on his experience with Trisquel, it is usually to talk badly about technologies he does *not* use and obviously knows little about. For instance, see https://trisquel.info/forum/trisquel-mini-%E2%80%93-why-so-fast-and-efficient%E2%80%A6#comment-161392 in this thread:

"I can now say that one reason my system is fast and stable is that I am NOT using wayland. A second reason of equal importance is that I am not using KDE Plasma which is so heavy on resources and disk space."

In most of his posts (including that one), he calls "anti-truth" those that have shown him wrong. He sometimes accuses them of hiding that their system crash, of fabricating evidences, of not being knowledgeable, etc. You see, he, "engineer in the real world", knows "the truth". Even if he does not.

jahoti
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 07/31/2021

I respect your point- Trisquel is indeed a wonderful OS, and people who are truly passionate to it are invaluable to the free software community. We need more of them!

However, I am personally also *extremely* concerned by some of the discussion on this "Trisquel users" board recently. As the official support for Trisquel, IMHO the most user-friendly of FSDG-compliant OSes, this is a gateway to not only Trisquel but the entire "committed" free software community. If we are unhelpful or offputting here, therefore, we risk depriving the most vulnerable of not only the gift that is Trisquel, but in fact the chance to assert their autonomy (and help protect ours) through software freedom.

That is why it is so problematic to see any post here that, *no matter its author or whether it was prompted*:

- implies any individual or group here has been dishonest
- suggests another individual or group is inferior
- is not new, relevant information in its thread (this becomes very confusing and can bury other posts)
- is not helpful and accurate
- is not made in good faith with the assumption of good faith

No matter how correct or necessary such posts may be, it would seem far better to make them in the Troll Lounge and simply post a link to any new thread here or (where the discussion is about a violation of community guidelines) downvote the offending post. That way activity on this board is (generally) productive.

For what it's worth also, I can't run Trisquel at present: I once did, however, and look forward eagerly to the day I do so again.

Andy

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 02/02/2020

Here's a screenshot, not that it means very much.

Only that it proves to some extent what you are actually using in terms of system and hardware. So thank you for that and the admission that you do not actually use Trisquel - Er??? So why are you here...? Honest question.

Would be much better to show System Monitor screenshot - please?

Legimet
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 12/10/2013

I'm here because I care about free software and this is the only GNU/Linux forum that I know of with similar principles.

Anyway, I completely switched from X11 to Wayland, and I have had no crashes whatsoever. Since you want a screenshot of the system monitor, here it is.

screenshot.png
lanun
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/01/2021

> the more you repeat them the truer they would become (children do that)

Unfortunately, most humans seem to suffer from this delusional tendency, from schoolyard to graveyard.

Myself, I prefer to stay on the real side of things and take nothing for granted on this flat planet.

Andy

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 02/02/2020

MB >You also make false accusations, insult, etc. You can have all the freedom of speech you want on your own site. This community has guidelines you constantly violate, hence the downvoting<

As all our readers can see besides the pious, sanctimonious, holier-than-thou,…? ..I back up what I say – I do not “accuse” but I do “prove” that they spread misinformation.

MB attacks and insults me with > “As different users of this forum have already told you, always using a one-digit percentage of your 8 GB of RAM only means you uselessly spent money for that much RAM.”

Oh Dear – I have never bought 8 GB of RAM or topped up any RAM slots…! What on earth are you banging on about?

I have asked Magic Banana many times what “money” on what “RAM” – he of course, like lanun never answers when challenged but cries like a schoolboy.

Magic Banana >Who is crying here?<

Looks like the crybaby here is Magic Banana and the downvoters - it wasn’t me Sir - it was his fault.

As we can all see exactly as I said previously >Some here have obviously not grown out of such behaviour as when found out they start crying – it wasn’t me Sir - it was his fault. The posts above make this absolutely crystal clear.<

Andy does not want or need any uppers or downers to big me up like Magic Banana craves – I stand by what I say and can prove – as above.
Though it would be most rude and impolite of me not to thank Andyprough for intervening when the bullying vote riggers….etc etc
Yes not only do they make themselves look bad – but weak and pathetic too IMHO..

I am a true Trisquel gnu-linux enthusiast who believes in the project along with the Fsf and fsfe who defends it anywhere and everywhere.

damidu
En ligne
A rejoint: 03/30/2021

Hi Andy

You say

"I myself have posted many times here that I use Win-XP Pro with the excellent 3D CAD SolidWorks for multi-million dollar contracts in China, Scandinavia and Europe.
Sorry but Linux’s FreeCAD is simply not up for the job."

"Linux" can do the job BUT you won't find easy to use tools for that. It's a command line oriented operating system NOT a graphical one like Windows.

You can do 3D cad or what ever you like on "Linux" BUT you have to programming the tools. Linux is perfect as a server os. Self-driving car os? Facebook or Google "operating system". It's not an 'os' for working with enterprise software. It was not build for that. Windows was...

In 2 years you will probably talking to your computer "hey, make me a bridge". Seriously the mouse paradism is obsolete.

Microsoft was not innovative. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_graphical_user_interface

Look, it's funny. Microsoft didn't innovate the graphical user interface on "ms-dos" , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visi_On

That's MS... And they can kill people. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv_zBYlZJR8

Seriously it's... I don't like them.

Andy

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 02/02/2020

Hi there Damidu – we are drifting off topic here – I was just responding to the the attack by MB. Out of politeness to you I will answer thus:

You Say "Linux" can do the job” – I say no way Dude..!
You Say “You can do 3D cad or what ever you like on "Linux" - I say no way Dude..!

Can you show us all how you do stress analysis on a component in FreeCAD…?
It is an integral tool within SolidWorks and will generate a report and movie of exaggerated deflection. Get it wrong and people will end up dead or with severe injuries in the real world.

https://blogs.solidworks.com/teacher/2014/01/use-solidworks-in-stress-analysis-measure-stresses-strains-and-displacements.html

http://www.solidworkstutorials.com/solidworks-stress-strength-test/

I am into macro photography as well as landscape photography – please compare the dirt cheap Affinity with GIMP (or photoshop). Remember Affinity is a very small UK company

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/full-feature-list/
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/publisher/

You Say: “It's a command line oriented operating system NOT a graphical one like Windows.”
I suspect most users only use the graphical way. I am totally rubbish at typing but have the mouse acceleration wound right up.

Please; would you be so kind as to create another Topic if you want to go head to head on this subject…?

Legimet
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 12/10/2013

I can show you screenshots of my laptop running Wayland that show pretty much the same things as yours.

However, I think Andy is right about the CAD thing. I have some friends in mechanical engineering and they all have to use proprietary CAD software on Windows, there is no viable free alternative. But proprietary software should not be recommended on this forum.

> most users only use the graphical way. I am totally rubbish at typing but have the mouse acceleration wound right up.

Casual GNU/Linux users might not use the command line, but it is really powerful and there a lot of things that you can do with it that are much harder to do graphically. I use both; GUI programs for web browsing, reading email, reading PDFs, and command line for programming, manipulating text files, etc. Luckily I have no need for CAD software.

gaseousness
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 08/25/2020

"I have some friends in mechanical engineering and they all have to use proprietary CAD software on Windows, there is no viable free alternative."

https://tube.cadence.moe/watch?v=pml2f-zN9Z0

^ Looks like freecad ain't that bad?

Andy

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 02/02/2020

Hi Gas, I think this is not the first time I have rubbished your source – so once again this guy you linked is a total Bozo.

Ten seconds in and I had him sussed “SolidWorks and FreeCAD are both well known and used by professionals in many industries.”
Totally wrong - I do not know of one professional in any major industry or minor come to that who uses FreeCAD. It is simply not up to the job. Searching the web for professionals or major clients of FreeCAD gave zero results.
Hey says at some point that SolidWorks has many capabilities that most don’t use..! Stupidity and ignorance personified – just how would he know? The reverse is true, being the reason that companies pay out to buy a licence – to fully exploit SolidWorks capabilities in the engineering process from conceptual design, finished design, tooling design and manufacturing. It goes for granted the sales marketing prowess of photo realistic rendering and complex animations without leaving the SolidWorks session.

I asked previously “Can you show us all how you do stress analysis on a component in FreeCAD…?
It is an integral tool within SolidWorks and will generate a report and movie of exaggerated deflection. Get it wrong and people will end up dead or with severe injuries in the real world.”

But as all can see – no answer is forthcoming…. Why?

We could all see the SolidWorks realistic photo rendering displayed – no doubt on a Dell Nvidia CAD workstation as they seem to have cornered this market since 1998.
We could all see the pathetic rendering using FreeCAD

So as not to waste any more time go to the source of this idiot’s review -

https://inspirationtuts.com/about/

…. where you will find that the idiot is an artist associated with gaming graphics and digital art – he has no business in mechanical engineering or any other engineering genre whatsoever. You might as well have asked our resident artist lanun to review the software.

So Gas once again >^ Looks like freecad ain't that bad?< is utterly wrong and therefore designed to mislead our readers again.
It would be good if you made an apology for this..?

gaseousness
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 08/25/2020

"So Gas once again >^ Looks like freecad ain't that bad?< is utterly wrong and therefore designed to mislead our readers again.
It would be good if you made an apology for this..?"

LOL!

"We could all see the pathetic rendering using FreeCAD"
?

https://tube.cadence.moe/watch?v=udIBhVIy5MI
^ Looks like freecad ain't that bad?

Legimet
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 12/10/2013

I don't have much experience with CAD myself but I've heard that while FreeCAD is pretty powerful, it's a lot harder to use and often requires some Python scripting. See https://teddit.net/r/FreeCAD/comments/iumk1x/how_to_argue_against_fusion_360solidworks/. I hope it improves and some companies start using it.

Andy

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 02/02/2020

>I've heard that while FreeCAD is pretty powerful,<

Where from ...? Any credible evidence for what you say..?

FreeCAD is so so limited and is not considered as powerful by any pro or CAD jockey.

Legimet
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 12/10/2013

You ignored the rest of my comment where I actually agreed with you that it is less powerful than the proprietary alternatives and said that "there is no viable free alternative" to the widely used proprietary software. As usual, you don't seem to understand nuance. However, as a lay person (not a mechanical engineer) who does know Python programming, I am sure FreeCAD will be more than enough for any CAD that I ever do. A lot of hobbyists use it. I agree that it's not good enough for industry use from what I can tell. But I will not recommend proprietary software on this forum.

gaseousness
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 08/25/2020

"Many college and high school students these days are lucky enough to have access to SOLIDWORKS in their classrooms and computer labs."
https://blogs.solidworks.com/tech/2014/10/how-to-get-free-access-to-solidworks-as-a-student.html

"lucky"

Legimet
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 12/10/2013

Yeah it sucks that this program is so widely used. I hope there is more development effort put into FreeCAD. It should be a high priority. I want to dabble in 3d printing a little when I have some free time, and I will definitely use FreeCAD.

Andy

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 02/02/2020

As I said >Where from ...? Any credible evidence for what you say..?

FreeCAD is so so limited and is not considered as powerful by any pro or CAD jockey.

It would be misleading to say FreeCAD is powerful - so where is there a shred of evidence for what you say?

With SolidsWorks there is no need for any code to write - there is no need to leave a SolidsWorks session - generate your 3D print model by clicking one button - the 3D print menu icon - Easy

FreeCAD for hobbyists

SolidWorks for professionals in industry like myself

Legimet
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 12/10/2013

I already agreed with you several times that FreeCAD is not good enough for industry use: "I think Andy is right about the CAD thing". It's powerful enough for many hobbyists though, especially with the Python scripting capabilities. I said hobbyists. We are in agreement on this subject.

This seems to be something that you are pretty knowledgeable about, unlike the Wayland issue, and I think everything you said about this subject is probably right.

Andy

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 02/02/2020

Okay - now that my topic has been trashed...! Thanks Guys
Not a nano particle of any worth.. sad or what..?

Why do you guys quote no-hopers like leoheck on that teddit link..?
To quote the Bozo >I am not experienced with any other 3D CAD software.<

Legimet
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 12/10/2013

I agreed with pretty much everything you said about CAD.

Why is that person a bozo? They don't want to use proprietary software, like most people on this forum who use free software even when it is technically inferior. Why resort to such personal attacks?

Andy

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 02/02/2020

Why is that person a bozo?

To quote the Bozo >I am not experienced with any other 3D CAD software.<
He has nothing of any value to say

Hey readers just visit the bozo's post and read for yourself now that my topic has been trashed...! Thanks Guys
Not a nano particle of any worth.. sad or what..?

Magic Banana

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 07/24/2010

Why is that person a bozo?
To quote the Bozo >I am not experienced with any other 3D CAD software.<
He has nothing of any value to say

You are not experienced with Wayland or KDE. You have nothing of any value to say about those pieces of software. Yet nobody here has called you "a bozo", "an idiot" or any other name. In fact, you are the one doing that with those who have some knowledge of the technology and have experienced it! Think about it for a second.

Andy

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 02/02/2020

As I said - Hey readers just visit the bozo's post and read for yourself now that my topic has been trashed...!
The bozo is a no hoper. He has nothing of any value to say.

As all our readers can see besides the pious, sanctimonious, holier-than-thou,…? ..I back up what I say – I do not “accuse” but I do “prove” that they spread misinformation.

MB attacks and insults me with > “As different users of this forum have already told you, always using a one-digit percentage of your 8 GB of RAM only means you uselessly spent money for that much RAM.”

Oh Dear – I have never bought 8 GB of RAM or topped up any RAM slots…! What on earth are you banging on about?

I have asked Magic Banana many times what “money” on what “RAM” – he of course, like lanun never answers when challenged but cries like a schoolboy.

Magic Banana >Who is crying here?<

Looks like the crybaby here is Magic Banana and the downvoters - it wasn’t me Sir - it was his fault.

As we can all see exactly as I said previously >Some here have obviously not grown out of such behaviour as when found out they start crying – it wasn’t me Sir - it was his fault. The posts above make this absolutely crystal clear.<

MB > In fact, you are the one doing that with those who have some knowledge of the technology and have experienced it! Think about it for a second.<
Are you refering to yourself - the RAM expert - Oh Dear..:(

Magic Banana

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 07/24/2010

Seven paragraphs copied-pasted from https://trisquel.info/forum/trisquel-mini-%E2%80%93-why-so-fast-and-efficient%E2%80%A6#comment-161468 (posted less than four hours before) and more ad-hominem arguments...

Quickly repeating what you have been already been told several times:

lanun
Hors ligne
A rejoint: 04/01/2021

But again: what is a bozo? Is it a Boris Zonson?

This thread should be moved to Zeneral Software Talk, where it now belongs, if not further to the bozo lounze.

I am going out there right now, I would not want to miss the transfer ceremony.

The CAD software seems to be a hot topic, though, for at least four of us, plus arguably Sir Bozo.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

Hors ligne
A rejoint: 07/24/2010

But again: what is a bozo?

Bozo is "a slang phrase for an idiot": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bozo#Slang