9.0_i686 install - no desktop folders, no tray; but works fine from USB flashdrive on try without install

6 respostas [Última entrada]
mr.r

Hello,
Presario-v3000 with broken screen and Viewsonic VGA monitor. NOTE: trisquel_8.0 works well; running from USB Hard drive.

I downloaded and verify trisquel_9.0_i686.iso and dd to USB flashdrive. Boot to USB flashdrive and to try Trisquel without install.
That works fine.

Then I install it to the onboard HDD partition (to replace old mint).
I log in and the desktop comes up with nothing on it except the beautiful ocean and clouds.
Right click is all there is, and I can get a terminal from there.

Ultimately, I tried startx and the smaller screen was revealed on the left, but inaccessible.

I don't remember having to do anything with xrandr for 8.0, other than setting the VGA screen as default from the Hardware Displays application under Preferences. And of course it (9.0) all worked from the flashdrive in trial mode.

Another side note question: Is it usual for the installer to show Installing (as Superuser)? Because it was.

I tried this process a few times and even downloaded another 'fresh' .iso, verified, ...etc.
Thanks.

mr.r

Hello,
In order to test the system, I installed trisquel 8.0 to the internal hard drive. Using the same viewsonic VGA screen (because the laptop's screen is broken), it works just like this version on the USB hard drive that I have been using for a couple of years.

Again, the live USB flash hard drive works great with the trial without installation option, but the installation fails to install a working desktop.
Thanks.

mr.r

Hello,
While waiting, would anyone tell how to launch the "Displays" app from the command line.
And or could anyone tell which file contains the stored preferences for display settings so I could copy them from a running 8.0 to the 9.0 installation.

I believe I just need to set to "off" the laptop screen and make "primary" and "system-wide" the VGA monitor.
Thanks.

loldier
mr.r

Hello loldier,
Thank you for your suggestion.

I logged in to report that I was successful in working out a solution.
I re-installed 9.0_i686 to the internal hard drive.
I logged in and right clicked to acquire a terminal.
I ran , which I had found a reference to in .config/mate-menu.
From the launched application, I set to 'off' the laptop monitor, set to 'primary' the VGA1 monitor and applied 'system-wide'.
Then click 'Apply'.
The tray appeared with icons and the 'menu', but the entire screen background was broken up in horizontal stacked lines.
I tried changing background images, but that didn't resolve.
So I rebooted, and voila a pleasing background image.

So problem solved.

loldier

ARandR is a tool to control multi-heads, easily accessible, not buried deep in the menus. Here's a screenshot (Fedora 33).

Screenshot from 2020-11-24 10-46-23.png
mr.r

Hello,
Thanks again. I'll try it out when I need a dual screen setup. Right now my laptop is grounded because the screen is broken. It works with the VGA monitor.