Could KDE be a permanent options for DEs?

15 respostas [Última entrada]
amtrakuk

I've been flirting with Triskel (KDE version) for a while and really loving it. There are a load of hurdles I have jumped, the big one was getting apps to access files over the LAN as KDE seems to have gone down its own protocol route. Preventing non native applications to access network resources. SMB4K was the savior, a bit fiddly to setup but the rewards made it well worth it - not only was browsing the samba box was lightning fast but also finally media opened over the LAN in your favorite media player.

KDE seems to be a lot more efficient on resources than MATE, the differences are obvious.

Finally with all that, said the only "issue" which I'm sure I'll understand and conquer is plasma-discovery - the update/package manager.

Keepup the great work on KDE

Malsasa

> KDE seems to be a lot more efficient on resources than MATE, the differences are obvious.

You are right. Glad to find another one to love Trisquel KDE!

nadebula.1984

I've used Debian testing with (almost vanilla) KDE on a tablet, in order to run Krita "natively". Only once I experienced window manager problem. I could press Ctrl+Alt+F2 and log in the terminal, and run "sudo tasksel" to install a backup desktop environment. The KDE window manager issue got fixed very quickly (within 2 or 3 days).

Even if I installed both KDE and Gnome, the 16-GB SSD could still hold them.

nadebula.1984

One question: Why should one use Samba/SMB when s/he could use SSH/SFTP?

Legimet

KDE Plasma may use more RAM, but that itself wouldn't make it slow unless you're running out of RAM and swapping. I have a pretty low-end, 7 year old laptop and Plasma is pretty fast. I don't have any other DE installed so I can't compare. If you choose Plasma, I do suggest disabling baloo and akonadi.

PublicLewdness

I would be fine with the addidion of KDE in theory. In practice I get the idea that resources and man power are in short suppply for the Trisquel team and could probably be better spent elsewhere.

lanun

In fact I am not sure why this thread exists. KDE is already the default DE available on Triskel. So MATE fans only need to use Trisquel and KDE fans only need to use Triskel, which means that a lot of people must already be happy.

Maybe the difference between the names "Trisquel" and "Triskel" is too small not to be confused for a typo, at times, since it reads the same. There have already been suggestions to rename Triskel "KDE Trisquel" or "Trisquel/KDE", in order to avoid confusion. Visiting an ophthalmologist might help too.

MATE vs KDE vs You-name-it-DE debates might seem pointless. It is just great to have so much choice (XFCE, Lxde, tons of window managers, etc.) so that so many users can find the DE that fits their needs pretty much out of the box. I personally find MATE to be great, including on resources. I could not say the same about GNOME3, for instance.

Avron

I am a translator!

I don't care about the choice of the desktop enviromnent but I want to continue using the same when upgrading to a newer version.

Besides, I have two questions:

1) can I use any program of the KDE project (like Okular) without the KDE desktop environment (with MATE or even with a simple window manager and no desktop environment) and any program of the GNOME project without the GNOME desktop environment?

2) Is there some utility similar to the MATE control center in order to adjust screen resolution, keyboard layout, and all hardware related configuration, that works regardless of the desktop environment or even without any (just a window manager)?

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

1. Yes, you can.
  2. Common utilities (for instance Alacarte, to edit the main menu) may be used to configure different desktop environments respecting the freedesktop.org's "interoperability specifications": https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/
Legimet

Not sure why KDE upsets you so much, if you don't like it don't use it. I haven't made any "wild claims," I'm just stating that it works well for me and is fast on my low-end computer. And besides, all of us Plasma users get monthly checks from Shuttleworth.

I haven't tried MATE and I have no intention of doing so because saving 300 MB of RAM is not important to me. Meanwhile I have a family member with a much worse computer and I installed XFCE on it.

There are a lot of DEs, so just use whatever works best for you and accept that other people will have different preferences.

Legimet

>Please read my posts carefully; did you not read my post > to have toy town features; be my guest; each to their own….

Yeah I read your posts, and you are being needlessly antagonistic in a thread about a piece of software that nobody's forcing you to use. If I instead used a barebones DE like i3 or whatever is trendy right now I could just as easily trash talk MATE for its "toy town" features, whatever that means.

>Got any evidence to back up this wild misleading claim…? Thought not..!

Why should I provide evidence? I say from everyday usage that it's fast on *my* computer. I don't know anything about your situation, and I don't care whether or not you use Plasma.

>where is this from – confused? Please explain this saving.

With no applications open I have about 300-400 MB more RAM than your figure of 376 MB. I have no interest in switching DEs just to save 300 or 400 MB of RAM. It's pretty small in comparison to Firefox's RAM usage when I have 50-100 tabs open. And the monthly checks from Shuttleworth more than outweigh any increase in RAM usage.

Legimet

> you got found out dishing out false information to our membership.

I have not made any statements saying Plasma is superior to other desktop environments. I just said it works well for *me* from personal experience, something that a few other people in this thread agree with.

> Wobbly Windows, Fall Apart, Looking Glass, Blur, Desktop Animations, Glide, Scale, Rubberband Maximize, Grayscale Effect

I genuinely didn't know that these are the "toy town" features you're referring to. On my system these are all disabled. There are many reasons that people might like Plasma besides some desktop animations (one of which is actually useful, the "looking glass") such as the customizability or KDE applications. And if someone does like desktop effects, I don't see what is the problem, if their hardware can handle it.

> I say ... it's fast”

It's fast on **my** device, which happens to be pretty slow compared to most of my peers' laptops. I never claimed Plasma is fast on all devices, it just works well for me.

> Most will know only too well that as we move into the real world of workflow; matters will only get much worse till some lower spec laptops grind to a halt.

Increased RAM usage doesn't mean Plasma is slow. Speed and memory usage are two different issues, and in some cases increased memory usage actually can make a program faster.

For example, I use Okular, the KDE PDF viewer. It lets you adjust the memory usage. If you allow it to use more memory, it caches more pages thus making it faster. In this particular case there is a space-time tradeoff, a well-known concept in computer science: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space%E2%80%93time_tradeoff

In my situation I wouldn't use a slow desktop environment, but a few hundred MB of extra RAM usage is not a big deal to me.

> Hey – which is it dude? Are you throwing a tantrum?

Relax. I'm not a KDE shill trying to spread misinformation. I'm just a KDE/Plasma user for over a decade (since the KDE 3 days) and I happen to like it, especially after the transition from 4 to 5. I have nothing against MATE or LXDE, I'm sure they are great desktop environments especially for people with less RAM. Anyway, let's just try to get along regardless of which DEs we use. I'm out of here, have a good day.

Malsasa

Hello, all!

On 8/12/21, name at domain <name at domain> wrote:

> > I say ... it's fast”
>
> It's fast on **my** device. I never claimed Plasma is fast on all devices,
> it
> just works well for me.
>
> Please, chill. I'm not trying to mislead users to switch to a desktop
> environment that doesn't work for them. I've used KDE/Plasma for over a
> decade and I just like it.

Hello, Legimet. I also use KDE for over a decade and it works too on
me on all my laptops and also it works on my students laptops and PCs.
I made KDE mandatory for them. I use KDE on a Pentium 4GB it works for
years, and before, I also use it on Celeron 2GB it works great too. I
think it is great decision Trisquel Developer Team made Triskel
(Trisquel KDE Edition).

Regards,
Malsasa

Legimet

That's nice. I grew up using KDE 3 on SUSE (before it was OpenSUSE, I believe).

Malsasa

Same, I also grew up with KDE 3 on Mandriva at that time. I am glad
now I can use KDE 5 on Trisquel. Thank you all Trisquel developers.

Regards,
Malsasa

Legimet

> It is not in my nature to steal

I don't think anyone said anything about stealing.

> explosive KDE Plasma wayland post

What is explosive about it? It's well known that most desktop environments aren't ready to switch to Wayland yet. I'm still in favor of the switch. It will take some time to fix all of the bugs, but I've tried it and it is pretty close to usable. The main reason I still use X.org is because of issues with copying+pasting between native Wayland and XWayland applications, and the lack of screen sharing/screen recording. I'm sure the KDE team is working hard on the first one, and hopefully Pipewire will resolve the latter.