Get TPE-R1100 cheaper?

4 respostas [Última entrada]
nevermoreraven

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/free-software-wireless-n-mini-vpn-router-tpe-r1100

How can I buy the wireless-n mini vpn router for less?
I would like to buy the hardware without librecmc and flash the device myself with librecmc.

What inexpensive fast modem would you recommend to use with this router?

Chris

I am a member!

There are a variety of issues doing this. Some models aren't using the right chipsets, some are, but don't have sufficient flash, and others might, but may have proprietary bootloaders. If you can get it working you'll probably have to build an image yourself as I don't think there are any other officially supported models with adequate flash for OpenVPN. Check www.librecmc.org first and go from there. The price point is also already too low in the sense that the CPU is barely able to handle OpenVPN "good enough" to be worthwhile. It supplies sufficient throughput, but you won't get 100% of the bandwidth in most cases that your internet connection is capable of. Meaning the device is now the bottleneck. What we really need is a more expensive model with a more powerful CPU, not a cheaper model. I believe only the bigger home or industrial routers have this and we're talking price points closer to $100 USD... hopefully we'll have some solution down the road.

nevermoreraven

How can I sign up to be notified when the replacement for this router? Why can't it be shipped to the US?
How good is this router?
https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/free-software-wireless-n-broadband-router-gnu-linux-tpe-nwifirouter2

lynx

I bought one of these last year when they could still be shipped to the USA. In addition to the ethical considerations of running a "libre" router, the performance was excellent and the box was surprisingly configurable (the built-in NTP server support is a neat touch). The improvement over my old Linksys WRT54GL (re-flashed with Tomato) was felt immediately, to the point that it would be easier to assume I upgraded my connection rather than just replaced a router. But true to its price point, IPv6 support didn't seem all great, and not having the ability to (easily) swap out the WiFi antennas was a slight annoyance. But these were small blemishes on what I think is a stellar piece of kit for what I paid for it.

Regrettably, I had to return to using a locked-down router to run a 4G connection at home when I moved out of town. I miss my ThinkPenguin router, and would recommend one to anyone needing a good, fast router for home use.

nevermoreraven

Is it possible to buy the router with american money and have it sent to your european friend then have them ship it to you?