Keeper of the Cards - Ultimate DIY Trading Card Game

60 respostas [Última entrada]
onpon4

That number is the activation condition relief. This is what the 2nd edition guide says about that:

"Each effect and target selection has a designated cost, and each caveat, activation condition, and activation cost has a designated relief, listed on the following pages in parentheses after the respective card text."

And then:

"To determine the total relief of an ability, add together the activation cost relief, if any, and the activation condition relief, if any.

To determine an ability cost for either a creature or a spell, subtract the total relief from the sum total of all effect costs (note: this does not include target costs, as those are factored directly into the effect costs via the special variable “t”). If less than 1, set to 1."

So in other words, some activation conditions also make the card cheaper (mostly because these activation conditions make the card more difficult to play). That number indicates by how much it does so.

I'll add a note to the Activation Conditions section to clarify this.

onpon4

> I want to write a script that calculates the cost of a card based on what we want the card to do. However to do it, I first need to understand the way costs are calculated. Work in progress :P

If it would help, I can write such a script.

> Btw, would you use Linphone?

Sure, if we can get it to work. I'm not familiar with it, but I think it just uses SIP, right?

GNUser

Well, of course it would help. I just didn't want to put that load of work on you, so I was going to do it myself. If it helps my idea would be to have the script having all the possible texts, we pick what we want in the card, and the script calculates the cost, giving the complete text output. Of course, each piece of text would be a string with a numerical value.
If you have the time you might as well do it... I would have to ask you to review it later anyway :P

Yes, it's SIP.

onpon4

Oh, it's barely any work at all. It's done; check the future branch, under "tools".

I didn't go the route of looking up texts. That would be too much upkeep to maintain (though it certainly would be nice). This is just a simple script so you can just look up the component costs and reliefs and feed them into it, rather than having to do all the calculations yourself.

onpon4
onpon4

I've decided to make a little archetype of sorts for myself, and I might as well make them example cards too, so I am doing so. It's a snake archetype revolving around placing damage counters onto enemy creatures. Totally not inspired by the Venom archetype in Yu-Gi-Oh whatsoever. Nope, not at all.

While I was working on that, I noticed some mistakes and potential for confusion in the 2nd edition rulebook, so I'll be correcting that with a 3rd edition very soon.

onpon4
GNUser

Hey guys. Sorry had to be away for the last days, so it was not possible to keep up with this.
I took a reading at the v3 you published onpon4 and it seems you are getting things going all right. But I must confess the combat system is a little more elaborate than I would like, lol. Same as the cards costs. I guess it's a matter of preference, people who have played more elaborate games before won't be satisfied with a simpler game.
I will try to keep an eye on this and if/when get the time, maybe print the cards and play with you over voip. Keep it up.

Or maybe I will wait until the game is famous and start a company that prints high quality cards under free licenses and sell them to collectors :D Kidding, but there is enough room in this game for homemade/homeprinted cards as well as professionally made/printed cards. And that is a good thing.

onpon4

I've made a new ruleset release, 5th Edition:

https://github.com/kotc-game/kotc/releases/tag/v5.0

This came about after a lot of feedback and testing.

I also have added an IRC channel (on Freenode) for discussing, so feel free to join that! :)

onpon4

Aaand, now I've had to update it with an expansion pack, because I noticed an error in an example card:

https://github.com/kotc-game/kotc/releases/tag/v5.1