Who of this community honestly runs Trisquel GNU/Linux?

106 respostas [Última entrada]
gnunix

Just curious, since not everyone on the IRC runs the distro.

Soon.to.be.Free

I'm dual-booting it with Debian Jessie at the moment- Jessie for personal use, Belenos for school/work purposes.

pengnuin

Two of my laptops are on Trisquel, though I am considering the move to Parabola for one of them.

gd_scania

Now Parabola and 3 FreeSH systems including Devuan (multiboot), but used to be on Trisquel.

loldier

I do on my HP. Dual booting with Devuan. My Asus Eee PC has Trisquel Mini installed. On yet another laptop, I run Trisquel virtually.

pengnuin

Reminded me of a few virtual installs of Trisquel. I tend to overlook them as they don't occupy much space or any resources if I don't need them.

vita_cell

Devuan great fork, but seems to have too outdated software. How frequent is release updates?

Megver83

That's true, once I saw an screenshot and it was running LibreOffice 4! (The same version that Trisquel has in its repos :S)

gd_scania

I am using its ascii testing with LXQt desktop (replacing over stock Xfce) and FreeSH kernel-libre, with also Cinnamon and Deepin desktops available, you need to upgrade by manual and I have done.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Trisquel 7 is the only system on all the computers I administrate (what gives close to no work at all): desktop computer at work, my laptop, my wife's laptop, my parents' desktop and laptop.

Zem Mattress

Banana,
How do you do handle communication with, say, a friend in another country who uses skype for video chat? Most of my friends use skype.

- Z

onpon4

I'd think that should be handled on a case-by-case basis. But the only scenarios I can think of that would excuse Skype usage involve someone dying. In any other circumstance, you can establish some other form of communication. If someone is unwilling to do so when you tell them you can't use Skype anymore, either they're not really your friend or long-distance communication is unimportant (maybe because you see them every day).

Note, most people who have Internet access also have some kind of phone. So that is a perfectly viable option. Just tell them to call you from now on. I think you can even do that from Skype if you really want to, though I'm not sure since it's been so long since I've seen it up-close.

Zem Mattress

Thank you for the answer, but forgive me, I meant: most people in the world video chat with skype. Do you insist they change to somethign libre if they want to talk to you? Or does your program connect to skype? If you use a video program.

- Z

onpon4

No, you don't need to insist they use anything in particular. Just not Skype, or anything else that requires use of proprietary software. Like, as I mentioned, the phone network. Video chat is not a necessity for communication. Heck, neither is voice. There are too many possibilities to stay in touch with people for me to list.

calher

I am a member!

> If someone is unwilling to do so when you tell them you can't use Skype anymore, either they're not really your friend or long-distance communication is unimportant (maybe because you see them every day).

This.

It really makes you think. Since leaving Facebook, none of my friends have stayed in touch with me. It sucks.

At least my boyfriend keeps talking to me over Riot, and we watch shows over BitTorrent and synchronized with Syncplay.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

My whole family lives in France, whereas I have been living in Brazil for the past seven years. We video chat with http://meet.jit.si or http://vroom.im (they use WebRTC, hence nothing to install: any modern Web browser is enough). My parents call me by phone (landline, I own no tracking device) for free too. Well, it is part of the monthly 30€ they pay for their Internet connection, landline phone and TV subscription to 100+ channels.

Jodiendo

I have 5 desktop PC and two laptop computers.
2 desktop run devuan
2 desktop run debian jesse
1 desktop running trisquel 7 for my daughter.
1 laptop running FreeBSD, PARTITION WITH windows 7.
1 laptop runs only FREEDOS VERSION.

I have 3 four generation pc, all I3, that I use for testing wifi and many other devices. I could assembled and put in the network, but for my business, it helps for the testing OF VIDEO Cards and routers.

davidnotcoulthard (non verificado)
davidnotcoulthard

I don't at the moment.....so there's that

gnunix

What do you run then?

davidnotcoulthard (non verificado)
davidnotcoulthard

Slackware (though I do use freeslack plus prebuilt slackbuild binaries through slapt - it's pretty easy like that)

CitoplasmaX

I run this distro on my main pc. I use it for my homeworks and a web server.

jules_verne

I do. I've being using Trisquel for quite a time now. Only with the mate DE. I used to run Debian, but that was until I met Trisquel. Since than, Trisquel is the apple of my eyes.

gnunix

i'd love to run it daily, but my wireless driver is not supported and I'm not in quite the financial state to go switch it with a free one..

pengnuin

You could check eBay, I've bought wireless cards that are supported by libre drivers for 5-10€ with shipping.

gnunix

But I don't want to ruin my laptop by opening it and replacing the wireless card

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

You can buy a Wifi USB adapter.

pengnuin

I did that for one of my laptops. Works flawlessly.

ADFENO

Just to make it clear: You can hire a computer technician to do so, I
did this once with one computer, and I'm very glad I hired that person
because I don't have good sight. ;)

Also, it's perhaps possible to buy an external device that connects to
some port such as USB and that does the same thing.

name at domain writes:

> But I don't want to ruin my laptop by opening it and replacing the
> wireless card
>
>

Time4Tea

I'm running Trisquel 7 on my laptop (a librebooted Macbook 2,1).

GNUser

Wish I could have one of those. The Apple design with more freedom than I have in my current laptop, very nice indeed :) Though I live my laptop design anyway so :P

To answer the OP yes I run Trisquel and even had my parents move their computers to Trisquel too (one of them is still running Debian anyway, but Main repo only).

calher

I am a member!

It's nice that your parents are using GNU+Linux. My mom doesn't like
using GNU+Linux, because she only uses PCs for doing stuff that her
tablet and phone can't, which is usually accessing some company's
website that requires Flash or something for its sign-up forms.

--
Caleb Herbert
OpenPGP public key: http://bluehome.net/csh/pubkey

ADFENO

Interesting indeed... If it would be possible to change the preferred
company. ;)

Or better yet, have a direct email or phone with which one could talk to
the web design department of that company... and keep calling them at
least once a month. ;)

So far I managed to get 3 out of 10 companies understand my message, and
I'm not the only person who benefits from this, it's everyone else who
happens to be a client of that company. ;)

2017-12-06T10:38:20-0600 Caleb Herbert wrote:
> It's nice that your parents are using GNU+Linux. My mom doesn't like
> using GNU+Linux, because she only uses PCs for doing stuff that her
> tablet and phone can't, which is usually accessing some company's
> website that requires Flash or something for its sign-up forms.

--
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com
gratis).
- "WhatsApp"? Ele não é livre. Por favor, veja formas de se comunicar
instantaneamente comigo no endereço abaixo.
- Contato: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#vCard
- Arquivos comuns aceitos (apenas sem DRM): Corel Draw, Microsoft
Office, MP3, MP4, WMA, WMV.
- Arquivos comuns aceitos e enviados: CSV, GNU Dia, GNU Emacs Org, GNU
GIMP, Inkscape SVG, JPG, LibreOffice (padrão ODF), OGG, OPUS, PDF
(apenas sem DRM), PNG, TXT, WEBM.

Ignacio.Agullo

On 18/09/17 08:19, wrote:
> Just curious, since not everyone on the IRC runs the distro.

My only computer runs Trisquel.

--
Ignacio Agulló · name at domain

brashley46

I run Trisquel 7 Mini on my old EeePC HD1000 netbook. Works fine, although the wifi antenna is no longer working ... I use an ethernet connection at home, and I can tether it to my phone when I am out of the house with it.

Luca Guidetti

Welcome, gnunix.

This is my favourite distro. Since November 2015 I only run Trisquel on all my computers, for any purpose.

Dave_Hunt

I am a member!

Running Uruk GNU, 2.0, Beta 1 on an Asus EEPC as we speak. Another of my laptops has Trisquel 7. My other laptops have other distros. No virtualization or multi-boot, here!

Zem Mattress

How are you liking Uruk? I'm considering switching to it as even Trisquel is a bit to heavy for this laptop.

Dave_Hunt

I am a member!

I'm not sure how or if Uruk is lighter than Trisquel 7 (whatever that means). Uruk is Trisquel 8 with a few changes.

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

I'm running Trisquel 7 on a librebooted ThinkPad x60. I may switch to Parabola because as a musician it does make a difference to have the latest version of some software, but for a typical user I would recommend Trisquel 100%. It's stable, it's intuitive for beginners, and the community provides excellent support.

gd_scania

Like you I need both Parabola and Trisquel, which I am going to launch a source-based GNU system, by liberating the openSuSE Tumbleweed source repo, with well isolating certain things, which is highly dep on the Parabola devel model, but also I need Flidas as alternative (T8) for transferring between USB SSD and Android using MTP and need to help stabilize it, and MTP features are missing in Parabola.

Alij

Using Trisquel in my main and only laptop.

calher

I am a member!

I have two laptops. leela, my Libreboot X200, runs Slackware 14.2 with the Free eXtension Pack from FreeSlack. nibbler, my dead laptop, is a Libreboot X60s with Trisquel 7. I have yet to fix nibbler's fan.

I do not recommend FreeSlack. A lot of packages come from the slackbuilds.org build scripts, and weeding out proprietary dependencies is a pain. I thought Slackware would offer a stable OS with a large community for support, but it hasn't been as helpful as I'd hoped.

But, for large community support, FreeSlack is better than Parabola. Slackware IRC and fora do not turn away FreeSlack users, and will help even if they know you're on FreeSlack. Arch won't do that; they chase you out with flaming torches if they find out your kernel says it has no blobs.

melikamp

> I do not recommend FreeSlack.
> A lot of packages come from the slackbuilds.org
> build scripts, and weeding out proprietary
> dependencies is a pain.

To clarify, nothing in FreeSlack comes directly from SBo. FreeSlack does not endorse SBo, and neither endorses nor provides any tools to interact with SBo.

FreeSlack does provide an auxiliary binary repo (100% libre, needless to say) which consists at the moment of forked SBo scripts, but even the FreeSlack's own back-end tools do not feed from SBo. Specifically because SBo is so muddy, the forking is completely manual, and everything is set up for eventual divergence, in case if the SBo-hosted script goes south of libre. The binaries are stored here, and can be installed with wget+slackpkg or with an in-house tool:

http://freeslack.net/fxp/freeslack64-14.2/fxp/

It is true that our binary repo is very small, when compared with thousands of packages present in Trisquel or thousands of scripts in SBo library, so calher would be correct in pointing out that building a lot of more obscure software would require using something like SBo, but we just want to make it very clear that it was calher's solution to the problem. Here at FreeSlack we would be happy to do what it takes to augment our binary repo with whatever libre software users request, especially if the said users are willing to contribute to the license audit of these packages.

animaliqua

I've been happily using Trisquel as my sole OS for the past 3 years, and loving every bit of it ;-)

onpon4

I don't currently. Some time ago I switched to Debian, and when that didn't work out, I wanted to switch back (mainly because I was having trouble getting SimpleScreenRecorder and OBS compiled and working). But I switched out of Trisquel 7 for a reason, that reason being that the version of GNOME it uses is old and has certain bugs that were a constant nuisance to me, I think up to and including not being able to use GNOME Shell properly. So with Trisquel 8 not production-ready, I switched to Ubuntu 16.04 instead. Because of that, I probably won't switch back to Trisquel until Trisquel 9; I prefer to perform these massive upgrades as infrequently as possible as it always disrupts my workflow. Plus, I'm hoping to switch most of my computing to an ARM-based EOMA68 computer before too long, much sooner than when Ubuntu 16.04 goes out of support. I hope Trisquel catches up and, more importantly, starts supporting ARM by then. If not, what I'm looking at right now is Parabola, of course. I'll probably be subsisting on that and Devuan for some time.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Out of curiosity: what bug in GNOME Shell are you referring to?

onpon4

I honestly don't remember (this was well over a year ago), and come to think of it, it might not even have been a bug; I had problems with Trisquel 6, too, so I might be mixing some of these up. In any case, something was interrupting my workflow constantly in Trisquel 7.

andermetalsh

>ARM-based EOMA68 computer before too long,

I'd like more info on that.
About Parabola, check Hyperbola. Is Parabola without SystemD.

About the distros, in the end is the same. GuixSD, Trisquel, Parabola, Hyperbola are just packets. I am sure if GuixSD has a GUI installed made with Guile-curses or Guile-Web from a live web based config tool, it could be amazing and as easy as Trisquel.

onpon4

Have you seen the crowdfunding campaign?

https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop

Jodiendo

onpon4

A friend of mines recently discarded an apple notebook from 2003 the first ones that came with Hitachi 249 gigabyte hard disk and with a Hitachi processor and 2 gigabyte of ram memory. I dud Rescue the machine. My question is the following. where could I find on the net of other OSI installation FOR THIS CRAZY MACHINE OF MAC?

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Gentoo apparently still supports PPC: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:PPC

If you go for it, define the ACCEPT_LICENSE variable to "-* @FSF-APPROVED @FSF-APPROVED-OTHER". See https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/License_Groups

Also, add the "deblob" flag to the USE variable: https://packages.gentoo.org/useflags/deblob

However, even with those settings, the situation is not perfect: programs that raise subtle freedom issues, such as those listed at http://libreplanet.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines would still be installed unaltered.