HP Laserjet Pro m125nw MFP

2 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
treforest
Iscritto: 11/17/2014

Hi all - first post!

So I really want to switch to a fully free distro (Trisquel). I bought a USB wifi adaptor from thinkpenguin.com to facilitate. The only problem is my printer, which by all accounts (according to HPLIP website) needs a proprietary driver from HP. Does anyone have any experience with this model? Could I possibly set it up under Ubuntu (which is what I'm currently running) and then access it via wifi from Trisquel? Would the Trisquel live environment give an indication, or would the installed version be different?

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Hugh

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 07/24/2010

According to http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/laserjet/hp_laserjet_pro_mfp_m125nw.html "a downloadable driver plug-in is required for printing support". I believe it is proprietary. That is not good. This plug-in would have to be in the system from where you print. Anyway you can try to set the printer up from the live environment. If it works, then it would work as well on the installed system. Otherwise, it won't. If you do not manage to set the printer up with the new utility, you can try the older one. To do so, install from Synaptic the package named "system-config-printer" (even on a live system without permanent storage: the installation would happen in RAM) and run 'system-config-printer' (e.g., from the prompt you obtain with Alt+F2).

Chris

I am a member!

Iscritto: 04/23/2011

If it works in Trisquel there is a bug. I've looked at the code for the HPLIP driver in Trisquel and Rubén has commented out the code that downloads the non-free pieces.

I would discourage people from installing Ubuntu or the HPLIP driver from HP if they don't know what they are doing. While the HPLIP driver from HP is technically all free software it will automatically download non-free software for devices that require it. As a result you *will* be confused. It's this type of thing that results in a lot of confusion among people posting advice in the free software community and/or on h-node and one of the reasons I don't really like it. I think the FSF RYF effort is a more worthwhile focus and we'll continue supporting that. Simply because something appears to work on Trisquel does not automatically mean it is free software friendly and it has the side-effect of reducing the resources to fix non-free software problems.

In fact even as hard as well all try we're all running a lot more non-free software than we realize. Even those among us who have been extremely careful. Simply using Trisquel does not mean your not using any non-free software- it simply means your using less non-free software.