Technoethical T400s now available

162 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
hack and hack
Iscritto: 04/02/2015

So when you criticize your competitors and compete with them aggressively, it's OK ;
but it's not OK when they do it to you? Is that what you're saying?
Also, sorry, you have zero excuse for that huge downvoting thing.
And even coming from a supposed biased person, some of the criticism can hold some truth.
Just calling "biased" is only throwing the baby with the bathwater.

I think you T400s is still a good offer.
Leah has something nearly as good, and much cheaper right now.
That's the way it is, it's up to you stay competitive.
If we enact some form of protectionism (if even possible), it has to go both ways.
I disliked the way she hijacked your thread, but you did similar stuff in the past (hence the double-standard).

BTW to clarify, my earlier comment was a joke, meaning "drop the egos", everyone.
I also mentioned that aggressive posting is annoying on the forum, whether it's you or Leah. I'd adblock you guys if I could. (well, I'd adblock myself for that kfsn4-dre thread, but I don't sell anything :P).
Last, what matters to us users isn't to stick with one or another company. All of you contribute to better , more free hardware. You guys naturally care about cash (and about freedom).

Personally I feel many of the products are overpriced (I remember a GPU on Thinkpenguin costing way more that I could find by myself around the web). But if it's reasonable, I'm OK with it since it helps developing better stuff.

xdknight
Iscritto: 05/31/2017

Please stop this madness.

hack and hack
Iscritto: 04/02/2015

Agreed. That's my last post on this thread, no matter the answers. I said what I had to say.

Abdullah Ramazanoglu
Iscritto: 12/15/2016

Tiberiu, you should have known better than to allow to be trolled away by a proven toxic character in the first place. Now your thread, intended for informing / discussing of a new product, is all funked up.

There are also minifree promoting threads and no one attemts to hijack and foul them up. They can peacefully promote their "Ministry of Freedom" all they want, but a competitor can't.

This is injustice, an outrageously obnoxious behavior - too much for me to stomach.

But the more interesting part of it is that some of the established, good-old users effectively siding with this ethical butchery of an otherwise sensible thread.

Pizzaboy2017
Iscritto: 11/28/2017

Sorry to bump an old thread. Has a guide for the T400s been released yet? Sitting on one that I got for cheap that I'm hoping to lireboot.

Technoethical

I am a member!

Iscritto: 08/15/2014

You have asked us and we have already answered your question 6 hours ago. In short: "[We've been very busy] but we can start to write it. If you want to help, it could be useful to send us your questions that you hope the guide will answer. We can then use your questions to figure out what sections we should cover in the guide."

Tiberiu

Pizzaboy2017

Hi Tiberiu, Just saw your email - for some reason gmail thought it was spam. Anyways thanks for the response.

I have only done a T400 before, so my only question would be: What are the differences in flashing a T400s?

I will probably wait until a guide is released to do it - too worried about ruining a perfectly good laptop.

Technoethical

I am a member!

The T400s requires soldering, and you need more experience with it than soldering on the X200s and the X200T chips. The T400, T500 and X200 don't require soldering (clips are already available).

To enable communication that has been broken by Gmail, you can "mark as not spam" my reply to your enquiry.

Off-topic:

I guess many spam e-mails start with "enquiry", but you shouldn't let your e-mail provider decide what's spam and what not. Best would be to self-host your mailbox (a BeagleBoneBlack board should do the job fine), the second option would be to choose a different, more ethical e-mail provider like Riseup, ProtonMail or OpenMailBox. I haven't used them myself, but I've read good reviews about them from the free software community.

Tiberiu

Pizzaboy2017

Can you show where it needs to be soldered? Theres no way you can use a pomona clip like on the t400? I would say im decent at soldering - not great.

And besides the soldering, is it bascially the same as a t400?

I did mark it as "not spam", and its funny you mention switching emails - I finally just switched to protonmail. I havent totally switched everything over - which is why I used gmail by mistake on this account.

Thanks again.

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 07/07/2017

Have Protonmail made their webmail usable without proprietary JavaScript and/or added IMAP support so that webmail is unnecessary? I looked into using them a few months ago, and while they seemed great in terms of privacy their service was unfortunately incompatible with software freedom.

Technoethical

I am a member!

I haven't used their service and I wasn't aware of those issues, but I'm glad that you have made them known. Maybe they deserve a different thread, instead of an off-topic section of this thread.

Tiberiu

Technoethical

I am a member!

You need to solder the wires on the BIOS chip pins (which is found between the RAM slots and the full-sized mPCIe slot, under the black protection foil). These pins are very tiny and the most fragile, especially the CS (Chip Select pin), and the GND (Ground) pin is particularly difficult to solder on, but besides these considerations, they are flash pins. The wires will be soldered on the pins of the BIOS flash chip.

The T400s is nothing like the T400, structure-wise. The board has the components differently arranged, the screws' positions are different, both RAM modules and both mPCIe slots are easily accessible from the back side of the laptop. The '4' in the model name "T400s" is only because the screen size is 14 inch (with LED-backlight and 1440x900 resolution). The T4*0s series are very different than their T4*0 counterparts. If you want to make a comparison, it's safer to make it with the X2*0 series.

Tiberiu

P.S. Send us an e-mail from ProtonMail. It's safer than continuing the communication via Google.