text-based browsers versus Icecat/Abrowser

8 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
eric23
Iscritto: 06/30/2017

I am sure we all have found some website that is not viewable through Mozilla based browsers. I was wondering if anyone also sees a difference when browsing with text-based browser.

Having javascript restricted in your browser with noscript and/or librejs a lot of sites look blank and missing something. If you try the emacs browser eww you may see those image and text spoilers you didn't see on reddit with abrowser.

Is this a bug we should report?

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 07/24/2010

You should complain to the administrators of the sites distributing nonfree JavaScript...

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 07/07/2017

> You should complain to the administrators of the sites distributing nonfree JavaScript...

I think what the OP is saying is that text-based browsers do a better job of handling some JS-heavy sites than graphical browsers do with JS blocked.

I have noticed this too. For example, see the attached screenshots. The first is of what youtube.com looks like in ungoogled-chromium with JS blocked via uBlock Origin, and the second is what the same page looks like in Lynx. In ungoogled-chromium, there is no visible text and no clickable links (the same thing happens with Firefox-based browsers). In Lynx, there is some readable text and working links.

Complaining to the admins of sites with non-free JS does not address this particular issue. The issue is that some information is not accessible in Abrowser and other graphical browsers without JS, even though that information *is* accessible in text-only browsers like Lynx and EWW without JS.

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Sorry, forgot to upload the screenshots.

Screenshot from 2020-08-12 13-14-11.png Screenshot from 2020-08-12 13-15-18.png
Save Nature
Iscritto: 07/19/2020

On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 01:00:18 +0200 (CEST)
name at domain wrote:

> I am sure we all have found some website that is not viewable through
> Mozilla based browsers.

Generally almost all website should be viewable with Abrowser(firefox
based), if it doesn't it is the website's fault not
browser's. Personally I try /lynx/ browser first. And if I see that
the website not viewable properly, than I consider the _the website_
(not the browser) to be broken.

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

It has something to do with CSS. In LibreWolf with JS blocked via NoScript, youtube.com looks like it did in ungoogled-chromium. But if I hit Alt to display the titlebar menu, go to View -> Page Style and change "Basic Page Style" to "No Style", it disables CSS for that page and I can see the same text and links I could see in Lynx.

Perhaps some sites have content that is hidden with CSS, and then revealed by JS. If JS is disabled but CSS is not, then the content is inaccessbile. But if both JS and CSS are disabled (or missing, as is the case with Lynx) then the content is visible.

Screenshot from 2020-08-12 13-39-39.png Screenshot from 2020-08-12 13-43-41.png
calher

I am a member!

Iscritto: 06/19/2015

On 12.8.2020 15:44, name at domain wrote:
> In LibreWolf with JS blocked via NoScript,

What’s LibreWolf?

--
Caleb Herbert
KE0VVT
(816) 892-9669
https://bluehome.net/csh

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

It's a privacy-focused Firefox derivative. https://librewolf-community.gitlab.io/

Malsasa
Iscritto: 12/01/2016

Librewolf browser looks promising to me. Thanks Caleb and Masonhock.