Trisquel 9 Graphical ISO available for testing

135 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
FLOSS
Iscritto: 05/06/2018

I'm using a LibreBooted T400, and have just done a full system upgrade to 9.0...

...seems to boot slower - not a complaint, really, just an observation. No other issues discovered. I'm happy to report that everything else works right out of the box. Cheers.

ollonois
Iscritto: 08/15/2016

I have tested the Trisquel 9 Image on my Core2 Quad with coreboot. Here Some Issues I found.

The installation dialog crashes every time short time after the partitioning of the hard disk, so an instatallation was not possible. I upgraded from a fresh Trisquel 8 installation.
Suspend does not work well. Sometimes it works but most of the time it resumes instantly.
There is a bug in the mate panel. When you add a program from the app menu to the bar, the window list disappears.
The clock of the bar does not work, when you configure the bar vertical left.

I don't understand why a so outdated version of mate is used here. I think most of the bugs are already fixed in the latest version. And we will have to stick to this for the next 4 years.

There is also a problem with the BlackMate theme. In some apps eg IceDove the fonts are hard to read.

Suspend2Ram is the real deal breaker for me at the moment.

Connochaetes

I am a member!

Iscritto: 12/13/2017

> I upgraded from a fresh Trisquel 8 installation.

You mean first you tried the graphical installer, it didn't work, and then you upgraded from 8 instead, and that did work?

> Suspend does not work well.

I am now using Trisquel Mini 9. Suspend works, but after waking it back up, there is no internet connection and I cannot reconnect, so I have to restart (or just re-login? I forgot) to get internet again. Suspending can be useful to let the computer cool down in order to prevent emergency shutdowns from overheating.

> There is a bug in the mate panel. When you add a program from the app menu to the bar, the window list disappears.

Perhaps what you describe is similar to my earlier problems. Are you sure the window list actually disappeared? Perhaps it just got squished to 1 px size? I'd suggest you try unlocking things to move them back, that helped me.

> In some apps eg IceDove the fonts are hard to read.

What's good about Trisquel Mini 9 with LXDE is that you can switch off antialiasing (applied only after logging out and back in) and select a font with embedded bitmaps for crisp display, like "Unifont" which comes in one size, or "WenQuanYi Bitmap Song" (package "xfonts-wqy") at size 11, for example. What's bad is that some applications don't obey this setting and still antialias for the non-bitmap sizes. Likewise, many programs – usually those with uniform style, amnesia and poorly accessible, dumbed down menus like Evince, Calculator, Gucharmap – don't obey my widget style setting.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 07/24/2010

Suspend works, but after waking it back up, there is no internet connection and I cannot reconnect, so I have to restart (or just re-login? I forgot) to get internet again.

Executing 'systemctl restart networking' or 'systemctl restart NetworkManager' should be enough.

Suspending can be useful to let the computer cool down in order to prevent emergency shutdowns from overheating.

Or just to save energy.

Connochaetes

I am a member!

> Executing 'systemctl restart networking' or 'systemctl restart NetworkManager' should be enough.

Thanks. But no, neither of them did the trick. I tried both commands, first with "Enable Networking" checked and then in between unchecking and checking it, and waited for a few seconds after each try, and checked if the cable was plugged in; I'm using the same connection now, after rebooting, so I'm sure suspending and waking is to blame. It's always the same.
One of the commands gave an error message, the other didn't. I forgot to copy it, will do next time.

Connochaetes

I am a member!

I found out that internet does work after waking from hibernation, so I can just hibernate more instead of suspending.
Internet still doesn't work after waking from suspension. (Trisquel Mini, updated less than an hour ago)

> One of the commands gave an error message, the other didn't. I forgot to copy it, will do next time.

None gave an error message this time.

ollonois

Hibernation ends here in an instant reboot.

Ignacio Agulló
Iscritto: 07/30/2019

On 15/05/20 15:16 wrote:
> Hibernation ends here in an instant reboot.

I am sorry I cannot help you, but at least I can tell a funny
story - I like to watch machines fighting themselves.

Years ago, when I was using Ubuntu, I learned that hibernation
wasn't a safe practice because everything in RAM would be stored in the
hard drive - potencially, even the passwords recently introduced in web
browsers. Therefore, I accessed the Ubuntu settings and configured
Ubuntu to never hibernate. From that moment on, every time my Ubuntu
notebook was low on battery it would enter a loop where it would annouce
it was to going into hibernation, then abort, then start again. It was
like "I am going to hibernate... Oh, now I remember I am disallowed from
doing so... Oh, I forgot it, so I am going to hibernate... Oh, I
remember it again...".

--
Ignacio Agulló · name at domain

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

You can encrypt the swap partition. I found the thread where I explained how I did it ('sudo ecryptfs-setup-swap' was not enough): https://trisquel.info/forum/how-simplecomplex-your-installation-process

Connochaetes

I am a member!

This time, internet works even though I don't think I restarted!? I have no idea why. After waking up from suspend, I used logout and login AND Magic Banana's command, but it's possible it didn't even need all that, I failed to check. A nice surprise, anyway. I wonder if I can find some consistency.

On the other hand, there are still so many things that don't work as I want. Locking doesn't lock, there's a widespread lack of navigation by letter keys (in Trisquel Mini LXDE's main menu and in many programs), a dearth of shortcuts (or shortcuts exist but aren't documented), a general dearth of documentation and explanation beyond what's already obvious from the UI (of the sort "To edit, select 'edit'. This lets you edit."), program features not working as advertised, system freezes. As with many things in life, upgrading to newer software often seems to be one step forward and one backward at the same time.

ollonois

> You mean first you tried the graphical installer, it didn't work, and then you upgraded from 8 instead, and that did work?

exactly

>Perhaps what you describe is similar to my earlier problems. Are you sure the window list actually disappeared? Perhaps it just got squished to 1 px size? I'd suggest you try unlocking things to move them back, that helped me.

I don't know, but it is a bug anyway.

The Problem in Icedove has nothing to with rendering. It is a problem with the black theme which results in black fonts on a very dark background. I think the font color has to be changed to something brighter for theis theme.

I also discovered a security issue.
When the suspend is working, which is as far as I tested mostly one time after a reboot, there is a security issue with the lockscreen from mate. After resuming you can see the desktop for a very short time before the lockscreen with password protection is activated. With a camera it would be easily possible to capture the screen. This should be fixed. I think the lockscreen activation is to slow and it is not done completely before the system is already suspending and then activation is completed after resume.

Connochaetes

I am a member!

> security issue

If nothing else gets done about the desktop visibility thing, I think there should be a warning in a prominent place about this, at least in the release notes.

Does it just show the background or does it seem to include panel(s) and open windows?

ollonois

> Does it just show the background or does it seem to include panel(s) and open windows?

The complete desktop including all bars and windows was visible.
I did some further research and in some cases this behavior is addressed to the video driver.
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=408493

I can not prove this, but it is a security issue anyway.

paolo
Iscritto: 08/02/2017

< I am now using Trisquel Mini 9 >
Please Connochaetes do you install Trisquel Mini 9 from one of the latest iso's?
Do you connect your android mobile phone to
pcmanfm without problems?

Connochaetes

I am a member!

I think I installed from http://jenkins.trisquel.info/makeiso-etiona/iso/20200421/trisquel-mini_9.0_amd64.iso
Using the "graphical" installer because see first message in this thread.

I haven't got a smartphone. [Edit: nor any other Android device.]

If you cannot install Trisquel Mini on your Eeee PC, have you checked if you can install other distros (or use live systems), like Debian LXDE or Debian Xfce?

paolo

Thanks for your answer,
I always use Trisquel Mini 9 on my netbook
I think is the best o.s. to use and all
is ok with Trisquel Mini 8, the version 9
probably have some bug...
I upgrade from Mini 8 to Mini 9 some months ago
I ask about the iso just for curiosity...
maybe is time to made a new installation

Edit: my netbook is eeepc 1001px 64bit

ollonois

So after some further research I found out that my x-rite i1 was preventing the system from suspending. I don't know why. Did not have this issue with other distributions, but when I unplug it, suspend to RAM works well.

strypey
Iscritto: 05/14/2015

I just tried to test qTox on my Etiona install and realized my sound hardware is not working at all. I tried watching a video using invidio.us, nothing I could do would give me sound. The Sound applet opens, the volume controls slide back and forth, the volume hotkeys on my keyboard also give the indication they are working. But no sound.

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 07/07/2017

> The Sound applet opens, the volume controls slide back and forth, the volume hotkeys on my keyboard also give the indication they are working. But no sound.

Install alsa-utils if it is not installed already, and run

$ alsamixer

Press F6 and select your laptop's sound card. Make sure that the Master volume is unmuted and turned up. With your headphones unplugged, do the same with the Speaker volume. With your headphones plugged in, do the same for the Headphone volume.

Then, run

$ speaker-test

and see if white noise plays. Try this both with and without headphones plugged in.

Let me know the results and we'll take it from there.

Connochaetes

I am a member!

"Lock screen" on Mini doesn't do anything. No password prompt, no blank screen, no screensaver. This is an installation (so I have set a password) of Trisquel 9 Mini, using LXDE.

Waking from suspend doesn't prompt for a password, either. I don't remember what it was like when waking from hibernation.

Login, sudo etc. do ask for a password.

Is there a command to lock the screen that I could try to check if that works?

Thanks in advance.

Connochaetes

I am a member!

> I don't remember what it was like when waking from hibernation.

Waking from hibernation does prompt. (Trisquel Mini)

paolo

Hello, I have a problem on my netbook eeepc 1001px with the latest 2 .iso of Trisquel Mini 9.
the .iso can't show the Lxde desktop. During the plymouth I press f2 to read the verbose messages but they are fast to read.
The Trisquel Mini 8.0.1.iso boot without problems.
I have controlled the shasum256 numbers (the .iso's are o.k. and them boot on my others laptop) and I have used 2 different usb keys.

And using Virtualbox I see in Trisquel Mini 9 there is both Calculator and Galculator.

Thanks for your work Trisquel team, can't wait to see the new Trisquel 9 official versions

Masaru Suzuqi -under review-
Iscritto: 06/06/2018

A Wacom tablet (Wacom ONE) does not work with Trisquel 9. It seems that the file "xserver-xorg-input-wacom-hwe-18.04" is broken and cannot be fixed in Synaptic.

Screenshot at 2020-05-20 20-59-30.png
FernandoV
Iscritto: 03/22/2019

Hello,

Tried trisquel mini 9.0.

On HP-Mini 110, when I select "Try trisquel mini" it hangs before loading a desktop environment with blinking cursor and no error message. Trisquel mini 8 runs fine on the same laptop.

I tried the boot media on the other laptop and it boots fine, although it is with the damned ATI radeon chip, so screen resolution is very low. Strangely, on trisquel 8 the resolution is good, but I don't remember if I had to tamper with it somehow to fix the resolution and I think I had, but don't remember what exactly I did.

GNULove1
Iscritto: 08/02/2018

Just trying out Triquel 9 on my dell 780, looks good so far-love that Falkon browser is available for install, but it seems to crash quite often, midori as well. Abrowser is working well so far.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Are you trying the ISO that has just been released on http://jenkins.trisquel.info/makeiso-etiona/iso/ ?

GNULove1
Iscritto: 08/02/2018

No, I was using an earlier model, didn't see the new one.

loldier
Iscritto: 02/17/2016
paolo

on my netbook eeepc 1001 px the new trisquel mini 9 iso have the same problems of all the betas (when I select "Try trisquel mini" it hangs before loading a desktop environment with blinking cursor and no error message. Trisquel mini 8 runs fine on the same netbook)
Trisquel Mini 8 dist-upgraded to 9 works very well, have only one small problem... in teh settings of PCManFM the single click to open file is lost after every reboot (and become double click to open file)

diopon
Iscritto: 10/15/2018

Hello, I have a problem on my Quest Slimbook plus 14.1 with all beta .iso of Trisquel Mini 9.

The boot process can't show the login desktop.

A few seconds after the boot process starts I get a black screen with the curser on the top left corner.

The Trisquel Mini 8 is booting and working without problems.

lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series SoC Transaction Register (rev 36)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCI Configuration Registers (rev 36)
00:03.0 Multimedia controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Imaging Unit (rev 36)
00:0b.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Power Management Controller (rev 36)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series USB xHCI Controller (rev 36)
00:1a.0 Encryption controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Trusted Execution Engine (rev 36)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCU (rev 36)

FernandoV
Iscritto: 03/22/2019

There's maybe something with Atom processors and their chipset, because in my HP mini (as stated earlier) the problem is the same and the CPU is intel Atom.

If anybody could explain how to drop to terminal from that point I could paste dmesg and we could investigate further.

paolo

the same happen on my netbook eeepc 1001px whit atom processor... on the other laptop there is no problems

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Iscritto: 07/07/2017

So, this thread was meant to be an announcement for the ISOs published in December. I did ask for people to report issues with those ISOs here, but I didn't mean for all Trisquel 9 issues over the next 6 months to be dumped into this one thread. To anyone still experiencing an issue with Trisquel 9, I suggest opening a new thread about your specific issue. You will be more likely to have your issue seen by someone who can help, to receive a reply, and then to actually notice that someone has replied to you.

riquet607
Iscritto: 02/01/2018

connection bug on trisquel_9.0_amd64.iso (version of June 7, 2020)
This post to notify you of an internet connection problem; when I indeed surf on the canvas after a certain time no more connection is possible, whatever the site visited: I am therefore obliged to disconnect / reconnect so that it works again (I thought that the problem originated from Technoethical N150 Mini Wi-Fi USB Adapter but by testing the dongle with PureOs I cannot reproduce the problem).

Malsasa
Iscritto: 12/01/2016

Hello chaosmonk & everybody, I shared this thread on Mastodon https://floss.social/@ademalsasa/104380548921528921. For you didn't know, Mastodon is a free software Twitter-like social network and some of us are active there. I wish more people see this awesome discussion!