Asus Zenbook UX305FA-USM1 compatible with free software

6 respuestas [Último envío]
gnuvideoro
Desconectado/a
se unió: 06/15/2014

Hello community,

Does anyone on this forum have this laptop model, Asus Zenbook UX305FA-USM1 ?

If anyone has it, does it work well with free software ?

I made a search on h-node.org but I didn't found it there. A friend of mine fell in love with this laptop and she wants to buy it.

These are some specs, maybe someone has one of the components :

- Processor : Intel Core M-5Y10 800 MHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.00 GHz
- Video card : Intel HD Graphics 5300 with shared graphics memory
- Audio : ICEpower with Bang & Olufsen Technology

I don't know anything about the wifi card but if that doesn't work it's not a problem because she will use a external adapter, a FSF endorsed one.

It also has windows 8, but that's not a problem either because it will be removed.

I also couldn't find useful informations on the internet so any info will be important. If it doesn't work with free software I will advise her not to buy it of course.

Thanks,

Alij
Desconectado/a
se unió: 05/08/2012

;)

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 07/24/2010

I would only expect the Wifi to not work (although you can be lucky). But can't you find a similar laptop without the Microsoft tax?

tomlukeywood
Desconectado/a
se unió: 12/05/2014

NOTICE:
i don’t own this laptop this is a assessment based on my personal knowledge and some info of the laptop found online

"It also has windows 8, but that's not a problem either because it will be removed."

some new laptops make it very hard to install anything but windows 8(from experience)
with the new "secure boot"
so keep this in mind check when you buy it if you can
install other operating systems on the machine

#########################################################

it uses intel integrated graphics which works well with free software

but i would think you would need to use a adaptor for the wifi/bluetooth

so i think it would work(with wifi/bluetooth adpaters)
but it would be far from ideal and as it has a modern non-free BIOS you would have no guarantee of what anti-features it would have
such as deliberately making some hardware not work,
backdoors, etc

VERDICT:
i reccomend asking if you can try the laptop for a few hours or a day before you buy it to see if everything works
well with free software

from a freedom point of view try thinkpenguin or even better gluglug

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 07/24/2010

some new laptops make it very hard to install anything but windows 8(from experience)

At least, it is possible. To get Windows 8's sticker, the EFI/BIOS of the computer must have an option to disable SecureBoot. The policy for Windows 10's sticker will reverse that and we will have a real RestrictedBoot: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/windows-10-to-make-the-secure-boot-alt-os-lock-out-a-reality/

mYself
Desconectado/a
se unió: 01/18/2012

Buying a computer with Windows preinstalled is the worst thing she can do, because she'll directly support a company that takes away her freedom. If she want a truly free software compatible laptop, there is the Libreboot X200. She'll never find another laptop to better spend money on.

However, if your friend really decided to buy the said laptop, at least convince her to get it second hand. This way she'll not plague the world with another Microsoft license.

gnuvideoro
Desconectado/a
se unió: 06/15/2014

Thanks everyone for your replies,

I'll sure search for a similar one elsewhere, I'll see what I can do. She is been searching for a laptop for a while but she didn't ask for an advice until yesterday.

I think I'll look for one similar in local stores. She really likes that one, you how some girls are sometimes.

Thanks again, I'll keep on searching.