type in status bar:

about:config

Than type in search box:

media.mediasource.enabled and double to "false" until will change into "true"

Than refresh Abrowser.

lembas
Desconectado/a
se unió: 05/13/2010

If you value freedom (your AND mine) don't do it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encrypted_Media_Extensions

danieru
Desconectado/a
se unió: 01/06/2013

I know about EME and why is bad. But What is the relationship of MSE with EME? Does this option also enable EME?

onpon4
Desconectado/a
se unió: 05/30/2012

Media Source Extensions is not the same as Encrypted Media Extensions. It can be used for digital restrictions, but as far as I understand, it's primarily used for other things. I don't know what YouTube uses it for.

In any case, it is proprietary JavaScript code which YouTube is using to access the MSE API, so that's a problem on its own. There's also the problem that the software is being automatically installed into your browser:

https://onpon4.github.io/other/kill-js/

Mampir
Desconectado/a
se unió: 12/16/2009

As I understand, YouTube uses the Media Source Extensions API to change video and audio quality/resolutions during playback. For example, a given YouTube video comes in several audio-only and video-only files, like this:

• Video:
    • 1920x1080, video/mp4
    • 1920x1080, video/webm (VP9)
    • 1280x720, video/mp4
    • 1280x720, video/webm (VP9)
    • 854x480, video/mp4
    • 854x480, video/webm (VP9)
    • 640x360, video/mp4
    • 640x360, video/webm (VP9)
  • Audio:
    • audio/mp4
    • audio/webm (Vorbis)
    • audio/webm (Opus)

The YouTube scripts choose one video-only file and one audio-only for download and plays them together in sync. When you switch a video from/to full screen the video-only file changes, but the audio stays the same.

The video-only file probably changes during other circumstances too, like when the Internet connection isn't fast enough, but I'm not sure.

YouTube also has typical audio+video files witch work without the MSE API. But for some reason they don't offer audio+video files which are above 1280x720 (720p) in resolution. The 1280x720 is the highest quality without the MSE API.

Browser like Firefox/Abrowser might come with MSE capabilities disabled by default, because their MSE implementation is still in a experimental stage.

I hope that was useful info! ;)

jei
jei

I am a member!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 02/18/2015

MSE != EME, however in YouTube's case the Javascript code that they use MSE with is of course non-free.