Kerala State Central Library
Palayam
Thiruvananthapuram

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 07/24/2010

According to http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/laserjet/hp_laserjet_p1005.html this printer requires both a "driver plug-in" and a firmware download for printing support. It is quite probable you will never be able to use it in freedom...

pepe
Desconectado/a
se unió: 05/01/2013

Magic Banana has reason. The HP LaserJet P1005 needs a non-free plugin to work. I used this printer in the past until I could buy a new HP freedom-friendly laser printer: HP LaserJet 400 M401a. Then I threw the HP LaserJet P1005 printer to the rubbish. Take care with same HP laser printers because they need non-free plugin to work!

These are my printers now:

HP LaserJet 400 M401a
HP Deskjet 1000 J110

Interest links:

https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/printer-freedom
https://trisquel.info/en/forum/laser-printer-compatible-trisquel-or-totally-free-distributions

Sorry for my english writing: it sucks!

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 07/24/2010
Chris

I am a member!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 04/23/2011

Just wrote another lengthy, but informative post on picking out an HP printer (particularly if your outside the USA). Going to copy here for you below. As others stated they're all right about the non-free plug-in issue with this printer. This model is not free software friendly at all... there are a number of problems with HP printers you should be aware of in your hunt for a replacement and I'll try and go over a number of them below. HP is the best as far as I'm concerned in regards to documenting and supporting free software within the printer realm. And to give you background on me I'm the CEO of ThinkPenguin. I've got a bit of experience in this department so the info below is *quite* reliable. We've been selling printers within the US for years, and every one is thoroughly checked out before being added to our catalog. Unfortunately we can't really ship outside the US at the moment (well, Canada maybe, not Mexico, Europe, Australia, etc).

... here goes:

Picking a printer that works with Trisquel can be difficult because Trisquel does not support current HP models generally speaking. It's one of the problems with looking through h-node for a printer. Chances are you won't actually be able to find a model that is still readily available on the market. There are a very small number of exceptions. As was mentioned we try and stock a few that *will* work today with Trisquel, but they're not readily available, and we don't ship the printers outside of the states at the moment. It's a bit tricky to do for a variety of reasons not least be different regions need different cables, and there may or may not be ink sold locally in a given region.

It's also not a guarantee that what HP reports will work will actually work in Trisquel. For a variety of reasons this is the case. One being non-free pieces, but another being there are different variations, which does impact support. There are actually more issues I've recently realized as well with the way some distributions (and probably Trisquel too) are importing updated versions from upstream (or failing to do so I should say- that is to say there might be an updated driver for hplip in ubuntu-backports, but that doesn't mean that Trisquel 7 has imported the updated version from ubuntu-backports, so while a printer may work in Ubuntu 14.04 via ubuntu-backports you can't just assume that other distributions based on Ubuntu 14.04 will also support the same printers).

If your outside the US I'd suggesting starting with HP's documentation here as it does provide the best starting point in terms of locating a Trisquel compatible printer (much more so than the h-node database):

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/recommended.html

What you want to do is click on the particular model printer your looking to buy and make sure it has the following:

Minimum HPLIP version which is less than the number for which is included in version of Trisquel your using. To do that go check packages.trisquel.info. Enter HPLIP into the "Search packages directory" field/box. Then under where it says Package hplip look for the version in the description. In Trisquel 7 (which is belenos)the version is 3.14.3.

Next check that the 'Support level' says full. If it doesn't then you might be able to print with the all-in-one, but it won't scan. Or maybe the print resolution will be less than the printer is capable of.

Next check the 'Recommended?'. Make sure it says Yes. If you don't get a recommended model then you might not get bug fixes and similar in the near future, or it might not be supported at all even. HP does not indefinitely provide support any more. They maintain the support provided that it continues to work, but if it stops working, nobody from HP is going to fix it. Outside developers are welcome to submit fixes, but HP makes no guarantees to the company fixing these models.

Now this is where the freedom aspect comes into play. There are two sections at the bottom. One says "Driver plug-in". What this really means is that there is or isn't a proprietary component required. Make sure it says none here. The other critical thing to check is where it says 'Requires firmware download'. If it says Yes then it won't be supported in Trisquel either as this is also a proprietary component.

The last thing I need to point out is that while HPLIP is free software it will download non-free components for many HP models. As a result it's not sufficient to install the latest HPLIP driver from HP. You will only be able to determine if a printer is free software friendly (or likely is) by checking the information above. The Trisquel version of HPLIP has been modified to exclude printers which are dependent on non-free pieces. As a result it wouldn't surprise me if there are errors in h-node's database in regards to any HP printers listed. Many users that are submitting such data aren't competent enough to supply accurate identification. Essentially there testing methods are flawed. Checking HP's documentation is therefore a better method.

pepe
Desconectado/a
se unió: 05/01/2013

A great post written by a great Trisquel user. Thank you very much, Chris, for your huge Trisquel project contribution.

Some things from my Trisquel user experience:

If you haven't got hplip version compatibility, you need compile hplip from source code to get printer works. That was I did when I bought my HP LaserJet 400 M401a printer and I was using Trisquel 6.

I use Trisquel 7 now so I have got hplip version compatibility for my laser printer. I need check that the "printer-driver-postscript-hp" package is installed. This package provides the PPD file needed by CUPS in order the printer works.

Finally, modern HP printers has a built-in feature called "HP Smart Install": the printer has got a "dual-mode": as a printer itself and as a usb CD-ROM (it is a flash memory inside the printer that contains the Windows drivers), and when the printer shows up as a usb CD-ROM, CUPS can't get it to print. This feature must be disabled to get the printer works. There are some ways to do that and I used from the device front panel (take care that the tool SmartInstallDisable-Tool.run, provided by hplipopensource.com, could be non-free). Another way to disable "HP Smart Install" is through usb-modeswitch tool.

Useful links:

http://hplipopensource.com/node/367
https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/672134

PD. Sorry for english writing mistakes. My mother tongue is spanish language. Thanks.

Chris

I am a member!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 04/23/2011

Hi,

I just wanted to follow up on this post. I spent some time attempting to deal with printer availability for those in the UK, European Union, Australia, and will further see about adding Canada.

We can't sell every model everywhere as there are lots of issues. It's a tad bit difficult as already mentioned. However some models for some countries we can do now. Unfortunately it'll be a lot of work to keep this availability going. More demand would help. There may not be unfortunately many "out of the box" working models for Trisquel. I think we have maybe two or three depending on the country that will work out of the box with Trisquel 7(other than the United States).

We're getting in a B/W laser printer soon and I think with the next generation of hardware a color laser printer, but it won't be supported out of the box until Trisquel 8.I should note we do have a color laser printer which works with Trisquel 7 already (though we cam only ship it within the USA, we may be able to do the new for other countries as well, but it's not yet supported by *any* major distribution).