I've seen the apple conference of 2014 and I feel outraged.

17 respuestas [Último envío]
a_slacker_here
Desconectado/a
se unió: 06/29/2013

Hello ladies and gentlemen.

Have you ever felt a rage sentiment that rises owing to witnessing a particular vignette? Because I felt that In the Apple WWDC 2014:

First of all, they present to us how awesome their translucent themes are, acting like if nobody had implemented something like it before *COUGH*-QtCruve kde-*COUGH*

They also showed us their super-cool notification sidebar (KDE everyone?).

The third thing I notice is their super launcher-search thing that can launch application while looking for stuff from different sources, you know, like Gnome shell does since its conception in 2011.

But the thing that really enraged me was their redesign in the Safari browser because they have copied the design from the Gnome team, from their beautiful Epiphany web browser, and people applauded them, it makes me sick. not only they call themselves innovators but people believe this also.

Thank you everyone, take care and I would love to read your opinions.

onetechbuddy
Desconectado/a
se unió: 05/26/2014

If you turn a few pages of history you'll find out that their glorified MAC OS X is actually based on GNU\Linux(or Linux as they refer to). Search for Darwin and MKLinux projects. So, I'm not surprised a bit.

Legimet
Desconectado/a
se unió: 12/10/2013

What? I thought it's based on BSD.

onetechbuddy
Desconectado/a

Yes, but they started these projects to make improvements in the OS.

MkLinux was the first attempt by Apple to support a free and open source software project. The work done with the Mach 3.0 kernel in MkLinux was extremely helpful in bringing up NeXTSTEP on the Mac platform, which would later become OS X.

OS X is based on the Mach 3.0 microkernel, designed by Carnegie Mellon University, and later adapted to the Power Macintosh by Apple and the Open Software Foundation Research Institute (now part of Silicomp). This was known as osfmk, and was part of MkLinux (http://www.mklinux.org). Later, this and code from OSF’s commercial development efforts were incorporated into Darwin’s kernel. Throughout this evolutionary process, the Mach APIs used in OS X diverged in many ways from the original CMU Mach 3 APIs.

You may find older versions of the Mach source code interesting, both to satisfy historical curiosity and to avoid remaking mistakes made in earlier implementations.

— Apple, Inc., Kernel Programming Guide: Mach API Reference

Source :- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MkLinux#cite_note-AppleKernelProgrammingGuide-3

quantumgravity
Desconectado/a
se unió: 04/22/2013

There are _a lot_ of stupid people in the world doing _a lot_ of stupid things. If you bother yourself with everyone of them your life will become the great tale of anger.
So why did you watch it in the first place?

In my opinion, the popular desktop environments are the pearl of the free software world.
Gnome3 and KDE not only compete with ios and windows desktop, they beat them with ease.
They're coming up with revolutionary and innovative design and usability ideas all the time and I'm just impressed how this is all possible as a free software project.
Even better: Gnu/Linux has not only one but plenty of them.
For myself, I can hardly imagine using anything else than tiling window managers like awesome or i3.
IOS? I'm laughing later...

onetechbuddy
Desconectado/a

The best thing is that they understand that people may not accept these innovations readily no matter how good they are. So, free desktop environment makers always give users an option to kepp using the older versions while they get familiarised with the new interface. They don't just leave us with little option.

Jabjabs
Desconectado/a
se unió: 07/05/2014

Personally I have watched it, I watch most conference presentations and spend a lot of time following all the technology news. I do not want to use it in any form but it is good to keep an eye on what is going on other areas of technology. As much as we might not want it to, unfortunately what these big corporations do still affect the free software movement by proxy.

We can protect ourselves but we also have to keep an eye out to see what new dangers are potentially lurking. It also help when it comes to talking with others since you can more easily relate which is a nice up side. :)

Jabjabs
Desconectado/a

It is one thing to see these things copied or "inspired" from the Free software community it is somewhat expected to happen from time to time, yes it is a bit more blatant in this case but you essentially just have to leave it be. Just rest in the knowledge that if they are turning to Free software for innovation then we must be doing something right I quess. :P

The big problem is that I am waiting for the day that people claim that the Gnome team are copying Apple, that would just be a shame in terms of giving credit where it is deserved.

a_slacker_here
Desconectado/a
se unió: 06/29/2013

>The big problem is that I am waiting for the day that people claim that the >Gnome team are copying Apple, that would just be a shame in terms of giving >credit where it is deserved.

When that day arraives, we will know that stupidity will be terminal. By only seen the dates these innovatives ideas were implemented we can see that Apple are copying Gnome, KDE... and not vice versa.

You know, it is common to see free as in freedom software to take inspiration from other projects, and when it happens you know what ocurrs? The answer is that it is also very common to see where the developer took inspiration from in the home page or in the "About" section of their projects.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 07/24/2010

That actually is common. For instance, I often read people that pretend that Firefox copies ideas Chrome when, most of the time, it is the opposite.

Anyway, copying ideas is OK. It is when you prevent that (software patents) that dramatic problems arise.

onetechbuddy
Desconectado/a

That day has unfortunately come. I don't have much programming knowledge so I spend a lot of time checking out artworks and themes. In the websites that host these works I have noticed people commenting - "The Apple design team is so perfect that most of the themes for Gnome and KDE are inspired from OS X." That is some OS X fan speaking but what worries me more is the number of "OPEN SOURCE" distros coming up that have customised DEs based on Gnome and KDE to prove they are close to OSX and Windows.

Jabjabs
Desconectado/a

Elemental OS is simply bizarre because of this. I don't get it.

Abhishek
Desconectado/a
se unió: 07/22/2014

Have you guys looked at their so called phone and desktop integration.Remember KDE Connect ???
How seamlessly it integrated Android notifications on the KDE desktop.
Gnome team started off looking at Apple design, but today they have surpassed them at ease.
Look at KDE, they have done so many wonderful things.
How awesome was mtp-kio when nothing else was working properly for devices with mtp.
The community does not get much credit outside the community.
Thats where the issue is !!!
Apple is also known for copying and then sue'ing !!!

Abhishek
Desconectado/a
se unió: 07/22/2014

GNU/Linux should come out a one entity ( Ubuntu followed by Fedora and Slackware maybe, with of course their libre editions for people like us :) ) and aim the desktop with unified feeling.KDE for e-Windows users and GNOME for ex-Mac users).XFCE,LxQT,Mate etc for the servers.Make it beautiful and package GNU/Linux in Laptops/Desktops like DELL is doing with Ubuntu Unity.Then people will acknowledge aesthetices and control of KDE and GNOME.Hopefully this will make people choose about FOSS alternatives (reason being cost obviously)

onetechbuddy
Desconectado/a

It is better that people don't use Free software at all than choosing it because it is free of cost. I chose Trisquel not because it is free. I coul have easily got a pirated Windows on my PC so easily. They are out in plenty in countries like mine. I chose it because of the philosophy.

*I once read RMS said in an interview - "There are several meanings for the word FREE in a dictionary and only one of them means of no cost".

axgb
Desconectado/a
se unió: 09/22/2013

Only fools don't use GNU/Linux.
Without thinking about freedom and similar, Ubuntu (which I use on one computer, and used to use on both) is so much better in functionality than windows.

And as for MacOS, I have never ever ever worked out how to use it. You scroll one way, and it goes the other way, and I could never get the menu on the bottem to work.

And also their purchase of the doctor dre headphones company. I just do not understand it. No-one would pay £200 for a set of headphones normally, but for some reason with Dre headphones it is normal, and good value.

davidnotcoulthard (no verificado)
davidnotcoulthard

If you're talking about scrolling with a laptop's touchpad I've got 2 installations of Trisquel on mine, one with GNOME on Belenos and another with KDE on Toutatis (among others) and scrolling on the touchpad one way yield different results on the 2 (GNOME on Belenos being the smartphone-esque) and I'm still fine :)

That's just me, though.

axgb
Desconectado/a
se unió: 09/22/2013

I mean with a mouse, Clearly pulling the scroller ball down making the page go down is standard, and doing it a different way is just not right. It is almost like them making their own wired networking protocol.