Just installed jxself's 3.18 kernel. Few questions.

4 respuestas [Último envío]
t3g
t3g
Desconectado/a
se unió: 05/15/2011

As you know, Linux 3.18 was released and Jason has the latest at jxself.org/linux-libre/ for you all to download in Trisquel. I'm sure this has been answered before, but is there a command to see all the firmware that has been blocked/deblobbed by the kernel?

When I built this PC, I made sure to have as much of my hardware open as I could. I noticed that my ethernet (r8169) that is part of motherboard doesn't work, but that is ok as I use the 802.11N dongle from Think Penguin.

If there's an easy way to see ALL of the stuff that's been blocked by the kernel that would be great.

quidam

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 12/22/2004

dmesg | grep DEBLOBBED

t3g
t3g
Desconectado/a

[ 4.924482] r8169 0000:09:00.0: Direct firmware load for /*(DEBLOBBED)*/ failed with error -2
[ 4.924888] r8169 0000:09:00.0 eth0: unable to load firmware patch /*(DEBLOBBED)*/ (-22)

That's what I got in the terminal and confirms my assumptions about the only non-free device. Either way, no big deal as I use WiFi as brought up earlier. Still, it would have been nice if my M5A99FX PRO R2.0 motherboard had free firmware for the only ethernet port. Oh well. Maybe I should bug ASUS.

Thanks for the help!

Jodiendo
Desconectado/a
se unió: 01/09/2013

TO T3g ONLY!!!

If your WIFI device embedded into your Motherboard?, you might have a chance to disable those drivers from the bios, before you install the drivers from ASUS, Instead you could use generic drivers, that are GPL-3 license.

I had the same EXACT problem with a friend of mines desktop, he was using the original drivers, but THE WIFI device was crapping-out after installing them. I was able to delete the original, and load the GPL-3 drivers. You could download them from the manufacture website, those GPL-3 drivers only. Assuming, that you could and know how to compile them as a generic only. Sometimes they use a combination of proprietary drivers and GPL. Most of the time GPL drivers are the force and source for those WIFI devices to work.

Unless, your WIFI device is AC, then that will a different monster. A basic standard WIFI device is (A,B,n,G) there is a good chance for it too work. Bottom line, you don't lose anything by trying.

t3g
t3g
Desconectado/a

No, the WIFI is separate as I am using a ThinkPenguin 802.11N dongle via USB. The ethernet port is the one that has been deblobbed and doesn't work, but that's ok because I am using wireless instead of wired.

If I ever need to use wired internet, I guess I will have to find a different solution. Btw, this is my mobo that goes with my AMD FX-8350: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A99FX_PRO_R20/

Don't worry, I disabled secure boot. :-)