Message to the other little people using Trisquel Mini 10 on a Eeepc 1015

3 respuestas [Último envío]
prospero
Desconectado/a
se unió: 05/20/2022

This time I decided to stick with Trisquel Mini on that good old test machine, so I had to make sure everything was now doing its job in full freedom. Most useful tweaks and settings for Mini have already been mentioned in this forum, but I spent half a night trying to get the XF86Audio*** function keys (F10, F11 and F12) working. All attempts failed miserably until I wrote to Santa. He suggested adding 'acpi_osi=Linux' in the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" line in /etc/default/grub.config and running grub-config, and he was right, as always.

My ~/.config/openbox/trisquel-mini-rc.xml file currently reads as in the attached file. Note that I have not tested if the new grub settings also work with the original version, where these lines were all commented out. The full grub config line reads: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux"

Hope it helps. Season's greetings.

AdjuntoTamaño
keybinds.txt499 bytes
prospero
Desconectado/a

Santa was right, as always, but I was tired when I posted the above. The file to edit is of course /etc/default/grub, and the command to run next is update-grub.

Avron

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 08/18/2020

Thanks for sharing this. I have a computer that has written "Eeepc 1015 PE" on a sticker under the battery.

I had installed Trisquel on it but as some point, plugging in the power adaptor had no effect, the battery was getting empty so it was unusable. Strangely, it was charging again another time that I tried.

That said, I also need to repair parabola on my Samsung NC10, as parabola was broken at some update a bit more than one month ago, I need to chroot and do a number of things. In theory, that computer has also Trisquel mini 9 (it is a 32-bit computer) but selecting Trisquel in grub does not work. Since Trisquel 9 won't be maintained soon, maybe it isn't very useful anyway.

prospero
Desconectado/a

On mine it says 1015 PEM, the main apparent difference with the 1015 PE being that the former shipped with a dual core Atom N550 instead of a single core N450, for what seems to have been a noticeable difference in performance at the time (2010). Both are low low end CPUs, but at 5.5W and 8.5W max TDP, they are still clearly massive winners in terms of energy efficiency. I just need a reliable fallback option in case of a botched upgrade or in case of hardware failure, or for light travel purposes.

They also provide a decent 200GB+ drive for extra storage space.

NB: note that both shipped with nonfree wifi NICs, contrary to other Eeepc models. They can be replaced with aht5k/ath9k NICs, but I am using Ethernet instead, almost exclusively for security updates.