No Internet connection after reboot Trisquel 11.0

15 respuestas [Último envío]
Triskilled
Desconectado/a
se unió: 05/10/2023

After running updates and then upgrading from 10 to 11 and having multiple issues, which I will save for another time, I rebooted and now have no Internet connection.

I tried searching for the solution but nothing helped.

sudo service NetworkManager start

and

sudo apt-get --reinstall install network-manager

did not help.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Avron

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 08/18/2020

What is the output of commands like "ping www.gnu.org", "ip addr" or "ip route"?

Triskilled
Desconectado/a

Thank you for the reply.

This is what I get.

Tom@ThinkPad:~$ ping www.gnu.org

ping: www.gnu.org: Temporary failure in name resolution

Tom@ThinkPad:~$ ping gnu.org
ping: gnu.org: Temporary failure in name resolution
Tom@ThinkPad:~$ ip addr
1: lo: mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
inet6 ::1/128 scope host
2: enp0s25: mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether 3c:97:0e:6d:cc:7b brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.0.12/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global dynamic noprefixroute enp0s25
valid_lft 68689sec preferred_lft 68689sec
inet6 fe80::3e97:eff:fe6d:cc7b/64 scope link
Tom@ThinkPad:~$ ip route
default via 192.168.0.1 dev enp0s25 proto dhcp metric 100
169.254.0.0/16 dev enp0s25 scope link metric 1000
192.168.0.0/24 dev enp0s25 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.0.12 metric 100
Tom@ThinkPad:~$

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 07/15/2009

How about,

grep DNSSEC /etc/systemd/resolved.conf

Triskilled
Desconectado/a

#DNSSEC=no

Please also be aware that somehow my down/up stream does show a varying miniscule amount like 72 B/s 44 B/s.

Ark74

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 07/15/2009

Ok, DNSSEC is already no, the default value, so it's not related to systemd resolve, one thing less to worry about.

Triskilled
Desconectado/a

I even tried what ChatGPT suggested and that didn't help either.

Model: Default (GPT-3.5)

User
How to fix no internet connection in Linux?

ChatGPT
If you're experiencing a no internet connection issue in Linux, here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

Check physical connections: Ensure that all cables, such as Ethernet or Wi-Fi antennas, are properly connected to your computer or router.

Restart network devices: Power cycle your modem, router, and computer. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve connectivity issues.

Verify network settings: Check if your network interface is enabled. Open a terminal and use the command ifconfig or ip link to see the status of your network interfaces. If the interface is down, you can bring it up using sudo ifconfig up or sudo ip link set up.

Check IP configuration: Verify if your system has obtained an IP address. You can use the ifconfig or ip addr command to check the IP address assigned to your network interface. If there is no IP address assigned, you can try renewing it using sudo dhclient .

Troubleshoot DNS issues: Ensure that your DNS settings are correctly configured. You can check the DNS configuration in the file /etc/resolv.conf. Make sure it contains valid DNS server addresses. You can also try using alternative DNS servers like Google DNS (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) or Cloudflare DNS (1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1).

Disable and re-enable networking: Temporarily disable and re-enable your network interface. You can do this using network manager tools such as nmcli. Run sudo nmcli networking off to disable networking and sudo nmcli networking on to re-enable it.

Restart network services: Restart the networking service on your Linux distribution. You can use commands like sudo service network-manager restart or sudo systemctl restart network-manager.

Disable firewall or security software: If you have firewall or security software installed, temporarily disable them to check if they are causing the connectivity issue. Remember to enable them again after troubleshooting.

Update network drivers: Ensure that you have the latest drivers for your network hardware. Check the manufacturer's website for any driver updates specific to your Linux distribution.

Consult community or support: If the issue persists, you can seek help from the Linux community forums or consult the support resources specific to your Linux distribution for further assistance.

Remember to perform these steps with caution and make sure you have appropriate permissions (such as using sudo) when required.

Avron

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a

You clearly have a problem with name resolution.

I found https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/612416/why-does-etc-resolv-conf-point-at-127-0-0-53 that explains that systemd creates a file /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf that holds the nameserver it gets from DHCP. Trisquel is derived from Ubuntu, it is generally good for having a sytem that works well without intervention from the user there is not much documentation on how to fix detailed system issues.

Since you mentioned having a number of other problems following your upgrade, the most efficient could be to do a reinstallation. I have done that recently so I can provide advice on that if needed.

Triskilled
Desconectado/a

Did you lose everything when you reinstalled 11.0?

I'm backing up everything to an external SSD right now, but it would be nice if my files weren't lost anyway.

I have the ISO on my phone and will burn a DVD shortly to reinstall.

The strange thing is I keep getting update notifications and it shows up/down traffic occurring.

When I still had a connection I had the warning that a partial update was going to take place. Was never able to complete the update.

Just FYI, the other issues that I had were booting to a black screen and having to press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to get to the command line login. Then I have to startx.

Last time I upgraded from 9 to 10 Docky quit working because Trisquel changed something that Docky needed to run so I had to use Plank. Now Plank doesn't work. Fortunately I have Cairo-Dock.

Some startup apps don't start on boot.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 07/24/2010

I'm backing up everything to an external SSD right now, but it would be nice if my files weren't lost anyway.

If your /home is on a separate partition, it is possible. In Trisquel's installer:

1. Choose the "Something else" type of installation;
  2. At the partitioning step, choose your current /home as the /home of the system to install and specify *not* to format it;
  3. Create the same first user as on your current system (that is the user with uid 1000, probably your user if it is the only one, execute id on your current system to check).

See https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/cloning-system-or-how-make-copy-installed-packages-one-computer-another to more easily install the same selection of packages as you currently have.

Avron

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a

Just to add that the keeping of /home may only be possible if you have not used encryption.

Alternatively, you can backup /home to an external disk using BackInTime and restore the backup after installation. If you had customized anything in /etc, it would be a good idea to also include it in your backup.

Magic Banana, there is question that I have been wondering for a while about backups: is it no problem to make a backup of /home while logged in as one of the users in /home? I though it might be safer to boot on a live USB to make the backup.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a

Magic Banana, there is question that I have been wondering for a while about backups: is it no problem to make a backup of /home while logged in as one of the users in /home?

I believe there no problem.

prospero
Desconectado/a
se unió: 05/20/2022

> keeping of /home may only be possible if you have not used encryption.

I am wondering if this is applicable to the graphical installer for Trisquel 11:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/291986/why-can-i-not-deselect-encrypt-my-home-folder

Avron

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a

That link seems to refer to a time when the installer was using ecryptfs.

Since we discussed this problem at https://trisquel.info/fr/forum/reinstall-trisquel-while-keeping-home-encrypted-partition, re-trying is still on my todo list.

Alice Wilton
Desconectado/a
se unió: 03/17/2023

wget -O - -q ipinfo.io/json
will show your real ip address

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a

Geeky. :-)

That shows the public IP address of your router (whereas ip addr shows the usually private IP address of your system, in the local network behind the router). I do not think it can be said "more real" than any other valid IP address though.