Thinkpad 400s

9 respuestas [Último envío]
GNUbahn
Desconectado/a
se unió: 02/18/2016

Before tct introduced the T400s I had never even considered - that seems to go for the majority. But I was attracted at once and have now managed to purchase one. It is still not liberated but sooner or later it will be. Though not liberated, I wish to throw a comment about it for two reasons: The original thread introducing the T400s has sort of diverted and, most importantly, I really like the machine.

I also posses a T500, an X200 and a MacBook 2.1 (plus a T60 I don't use much). These are all flashed with libreboot. I like all my machines and they all have their affordances, up-sides and down-sides.

Overall, the T400s sort of comprises the best of the others - naturally depending on the use-case. Compared to the others, I will shortly state:

The keyboard is nicer than the MacBooks' and the T500 but I still prefer most the one on the X200.

I (for some reason) often can't use touchpads, but the touchpad on the T400s functions really, really well and far better than on the T500 and MacBook (the X200 doesn't have touchpad). Unfortunately it is a little too big for my use, and I often touch it by mistake. This is annoying and if I don't learn to not touch it, I'll turn it off.

The screen holds an LED panel which provides good brightness and a sharp picture. The T500 and the X200 have ok screens, the one on he MacBook is really good too.

Personally, I am very happy with my T500's larger screen. I use the T500 more or less as a desktop computer (in the sense that it stays there).

The 'Esc' and 'Delete' keys are enlarged compared to the earlier X200 and T500. This doesn't make a big difference but is a small plus.

Like the T500 and the MacBook, the T400s has an internal DVD. I have a docking station for the X200 which holds a DVD. But using the dock with the X200 is not always smooth and I usually don't use it (since I have the other machines)

Contrary to the other machines the T400s has a mute-mic button. This is not important to me.

Contrary to the T500 and the X200, the T400s does not have a wifi kill switch. I would have liked that, but I can live without it.

Battery-wise, the MacBook isn't really good due to some software issues (in libreboot if I am right). For the T500 and the X200 there are extended batteries which according to others (mine are too old to say) let you work on the go for quite long time. One of the weaker points of the T400s is that there exists no extended battery for it, since there isn't room for it. On the T400s the battery is inserted from beneath and the battery slot doesn't allow for a larger sized battery. If battery time is crucial, there exists a three-cell battery for the ultra bay (or on could purchase an extra of the standard bateries).

In summary, I think that it is a purely subjective matter whether a T400s is the right machine (i.e. better than the others). My subjective rating: Super cool!

loldier
Desconectado/a
se unió: 02/17/2016

I'd like to see pictures to go with the review.

GNUbahn
Desconectado/a

Do you have specific pictures in mind? There are lots of pictures of the T400s on the web but if you are thinking of something particular I can make come and post.

GNUbahn
Desconectado/a

Here is a quite comprehensive collection of T400s pictures.

GNUbahn
Desconectado/a

Correction

The T400s DOES have a wifi kill switch.

But I didn't notice it in the first place because it is so small

Jabjabs
Desconectado/a
se unió: 07/05/2014

Yeah, it took me about 5 minutes of looking before I figured out its location.

GNUbahn
Desconectado/a

Is yours flashed wit libreboot?

IrishUSA
Desconectado/a
se unió: 12/03/2016

Are there noticeable performance differences between the models? Such as in bootup time, launch time of major programs like the web browser, email app, LibreOffice?

Are they all able to run commercial DVD movies out of the box? I've been unable to get that working myself in other distros despite their supposedly supporting this.

How is the heat issue in the MacBook? Another user on this forum had taken drastic steps like drilling holes and replacing the optical drive with a copper heat sink.

GNUbahn
Desconectado/a

My T400s isn't liberated yet but Technoethical will be working on it during summer. When I have it I can make a comparison.

As for now I can shortly state that between the 64 bit Thinkpads there isn't much difference. The MacBook responds a bit slower e.g. to open the browser windows and such. The MacBook is the only one (of those tested for that) on which Handbrake would rip dvds. I have no idea why, but on the x200 and the t500 I had to install and setup css.

The MacBook does get quite hot, but it doesn't seems to be a problem. And its screen is superior to the other's.

Well, as said I can make a better comparison when the T400s is flashed with libreboot too. If you have specific questions in mind or specific ways to test in mind, please tell me.