unable to login after installing linux-libre 3.9.2

4 respuestas [Último envío]
silemmo
Desconectado/a
se unió: 10/25/2012

Hello everybody,
have some of you had this problem ? After installing 3.9 kernel of linux libre with jxself repos. I can't login. I see the gdm, I put the password and then ther is 1 second of work and the gdm comes back asking me again to put my password.

I can login in recovery mode but what to do after ?

I am taking a wild guess but maybe gnome 3.4 is not compatible with linux-libre 3.9 ?

Thanks again for your help and comments.

TralfamadorianOrator
Desconectado/a
se unió: 11/12/2011

I suspect an issue with a graphics device driver. What graphics device do you use?

Bruno Letat
Desconectado/a
se unió: 05/02/2013

Hi silemmo,

I've experienced the same isssue with gnome 3 because of some gnome extensions.
Here is how i've resolved the problem :
1. log on with gnome classic
2. Save all the files located in .gnome, .local, .dconf and .config
2. Delete all the files in .gnome, .local, .dconf et .config
3. Log out your session and log on with gnome-shell

Sometimes gnome-shell may freeze when you made a dist-upgrade .

Does it work fine now ?

silemmo
Desconectado/a
se unió: 10/25/2012

My install was clean, so I didn't use gnome-shell.

I don't have graphics drivers for my 560ti, it's one of the reasons tha I wanted the newest kernel.

With the kernel in the iso my resolution is 1024*768 I think, but with the new kernel in the login screen the resolution was great 1920*1200.

@ Bruno, do yo mean that I have to do these steps before installing the new kernel or after ? Because if it's after I can't login with gnome classic, I can just use the recovery console.

Thanks a lot people.

Bruno Letat
Desconectado/a
se unió: 05/02/2013

Silemmo,

I thought it could be a conflict between the old and the new configuration files. It was exactly my problem.
That's why I saved all my configuration files before deleting them.

you have to do these steps when you want, i guess the configuration files are not completly erased during kernel installation and may conflict.