Where to buy librebooted x200/x200s?

10 respuestas [Último envío]
riveri
Desconectado/a
se unió: 07/27/2021

Hi, im looking to buy a x200 or x200s librebooted ready to use in nice condition. Is only minifree active now? What happened to Vikings and others? minifree has the best prices that I can find right now, but I wonder if there is no alternatives?

andyprough
Desconectado/a
se unió: 02/12/2015

ebay has some different sellers - just search x200 libreboot. I don't see any x200s right now.

riveri
Desconectado/a

Yeah i've seen a few sometimes but they ask for ridiculous prices.

Lef
Lef
Desconectado/a
se unió: 11/20/2021

ebay seems to be the cheapest, otherwise minifree.org is the dedicated reseller with the best value. I know of no one other than minifree that upgrades the spi flash chip to 16mb so it can run uboot.

Apart from minifree there is technoethical (which recently I've heard awful stories about, essentially taking customers money and running), vikings (I've heard little about) and Libiquity (also haven't heard about).

That being said if you're interested in a librebooted laptop I would wait for the libreboot project to add more ARM/RISC boards, which they state will begin in 2022. The Asus C201 for example is more free than all the current thinkpads because it has a free Embedded Controller.

PublicLewdness
Desconectado/a
se unió: 03/15/2020

Vikings is supposed to come back online soon but that has gotten to be a longer and longer of a delay, think going on 7 months currently. Mini Free would be the best option because you would be directly supporting Leah Rowe who works on Libreboot. Outside of donating to their Patreon it's the next best way to help the project financially. Technoethical seems to be out of stock.

Avron

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 08/18/2020

In France, I see some second hand librebooted x200 sometimes on www.leboncoin.fr, usually around 150 euros. I bought two that way.

www.zerocat.org also sells x200t with blobless coreboot and Guix System (but I guess you can put Trisquel), but much more expensive. By default, they put a German keyboard. I just ordered a chip flasher from them, will see if I can flash some x200 or other things supported by Libreboot by myself.

Vanecek
Desconectado/a
se unió: 01/18/2015

Hello

i'm sad to say, that as customer who bought three laptops (x200, x200s, x301), a Replicant phone (S2) and some more adapters from Technoethical, my last order from August isn't yet delivered. Many E-Mails to him (Tiberiu), stayed without response.

So if you want to order a x200 now, you can do that from Minifree.

C.

riveri
Desconectado/a

How does one know how the laptop will look like? you are paying someone to buy some random second hand laptop, they don't seem to deliver pictures of the actual laptop you are buying, they have generic pictures.

Avron

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 08/18/2020

I never bought from Minifree so I cannot say. Minifree's website says "We swap out parts and supply laptops in the best condition possible, ideally in new condition.". It also promises 3 years warranty (but if you are in UK, getting some repair might not be convenient). Perhaps you could also send an email and ask for pictures.

About Technoethical: same problem like Vanecek recently.

Vikings might also reopen eventually (they reply to my emails for support on the D8 I bought from them).

EDIT: I meant if you are *not* in UK, or course.

Beformed
Desconectado/a
se unió: 01/12/2017

I think minifree.org should be your first option. Leah is the lead libreboot developer and offers the best support and upgrades.

I could sell one to you if you are in the US and cannot get it from minifree.

libreleah
Desconectado/a
se unió: 04/03/2017

https://minifree.org/ is still here, and I'm not planning to disappear any time soon :)

I also lead the Libreboot project, and provide the best support because of that. I often fix things in libreboot or the documentation, based on conversations with customers when they need help or encounter an issue.

Happy hacking!

Also:

I'm the only seller upgrading the SPI flash. I upgrade the default SPI flash (on libreboot-compatible hardware) to 16MB Winbond W25Q128FVSIG. This is in preparation for a planned update in the future, to provide a full busybox+linux system with musl libc, and u-root bootloader:

https://github.com/u-root/u-root

A full system in the boot flash. I intend to provide it as a "rescue system", and u-root also provides some nice features: it can boot linux kernels using kexec and provides an interface similar to GRUB.

I also upgrade the CPUs on T400 to Core 2 Quad Q9000, so you really do get more bang for your buck. This is possible by modifying some circuitry on the mainboard. I plan to document this soon, with a guide showing how I do it.