Wifi Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 does not work on Debian 10

13 respuestas [Último envío]
dcapeletti
Desconectado/a
se unió: 04/03/2014

Hi, until a few days ago I had Debian 9 installed and my wifi works without any problems, without requiring the installation of any package. My wifi board is next:

2:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. T77H167.00
Kernel driver in use: ath9k
Kernel modules: ath9k

My current system is Debian 9.12 stretch with 4.9.0-12-amd64 kernel. My wifi board on this system works without problems, once you run debian 9 live, you can connect to wifi networks.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to install Debian 10, but I encountered the problem that my wifi board is not recognized, which made it impossible to connect to a network. Therefore I had to go back to Debian 9. This problem occurs with debian 10 live or installed on the hard drive.

My question is, what is the cause of the problem on debian 10? Is there a solution to it? Is my board no longer supported?

I hope you can help me, thank you very much.

nadebula.1984
Desconectado/a
se unió: 05/01/2018

Try another Debian installation media, for example the 10.4 binary installation DVD image, or the weekly build of Debian Installer (testing).

If your AR9287 still works under Debian 9 (old stable), then there is nothing wrong with it. Like other ath5k/9k cards, it requires no firmware. Even if you want to load some firmware, it has no dedicated storagte to hold it and no dedicated processor to execute it.

dcapeletti
Desconectado/a

The image I downloaded is https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/bt-hybrid/debian-live-10.4.0-amd64-gnome.iso.torrent
I don't know which image you want me to try, but you could pass me the link. Thanks

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 07/24/2010

Six years ago, VertPingouin, on the French-speaking forum, made that WiFi chipset work by adding "acpi=off" to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT variable in /etc/default/grub (you can edit that file by executing 'sudo pluma /etc/default/grub' in a terminal), executing 'update-grub' and rebooting: https://trisquel.info/forum/probl%C3%A8me-de-wifi-encore-un#comment-52811

dcapeletti
Desconectado/a

Hi, I don't quite understand how I'm supposed to edit exactly. The file contains this line:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

What I should put is:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet acpi=off"

Please could you confirm me. Thanks

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 07/24/2010

I confirm, but I do not guarantee it will solve your problem.

dcapeletti
Desconectado/a

I have not tried it, twice I have already formatted my pc, once with Debian 10 kde and another time with Debian 10 gnome and they present the same problem. In these days I will try to install for last time Debian 10 and to execute the indicated solution. Otherwise I will return to Debian 9 and wait for another stable version of Debian.

Thanks

nadebula.1984
Desconectado/a

I've just tested Debian 10.4 Live system with another Atheros card (AR9462) and everything is fine.

Ultimately, why must you use a stable version? I never recommend personal users, especially beginners to choose stable version (let alone an LTS one). In my opinion, stable version is only suitable for such entities as government agencies and corporations.

dcapeletti
Desconectado/a

The problem I have is with the image debian-live-10.4.0-amd64-gnome.iso in previous messages I passed the image I downloaded. Can you pass me the URL of the image you propose to test?

Thanks

nadebula.1984
Desconectado/a

I suspect that there's something fishy about your card. Do you have any other Atheros card for testing?

If you want to try Debian testing (semi-rolling) or unstable (rolling), go to Developers' Corner -> Debian Installer, and then pick an appropriate image for you. (You may probably need to use the amd64-architecture, weekly-built DVD image.)

The installer image I use is updated every week, and I don't download the iso-format image. Instead, I use jigdo to update the image incrementally. So I don't download it via any URL. Follow the instructions on the Debian Installer page if you want to give it a try.

Finally, Debian Live images are not designed as installation media. They focus on globalization support (i.e., they contain lots of language packages which you probably won't need), so they are big in size but contain (relatively) very few software packages. Use binary installation media instead.

jxself
Desconectado/a
se unió: 09/13/2010

"Ultimately, why must you use a stable version? I never recommend personal users, especially beginners to choose stable version (let alone an LTS one)."

I suppose that excludes Trisquel then since it's both stable and LTS. I go with stable and LTS because I like my GNU/Linux distros to be boring and uneventful. Specifically: Releases that happen at 2 - 5 year intervals and where package version numbers are frozen in time on release. This lets me work on the things I want to work on and not spending my time on fixing the distro. Can't remember where I heard this one: "The bleeding edge is stained by the blood of the users."

nadebula.1984
Desconectado/a

I used to think that beginners should start with using a stable edition. However, when they want to try something new, they probably run into such problems like obsolete kernel or outdated dependencies. Furthermore, bugs in stable editions get fixed very slowly, if not never.

By contrast, a (semi-)rolling released distribution always ship latest packages, offering better hardware support and productivity. Users can learn to contribute very quickly by participating development, even if what they can do is to report bugs or request new features. If they want to try something new, they needn't to worry about latest dependencies.

This is why I no longer recommend others to use Trisquel or Debian stable.

dcapeletti
Desconectado/a

Question, why are the old Debian distributions more compatible with my Wifi than with the new Debian versions?

The truth is that I understand that with each new version the software should have less problems, but in my case it is just the opposite.

If I knew what the solution was, I would have Debian 10 installed long ago.

dcapeletti
Desconectado/a

Hi, I just tried debian testing kde downloaded from this link http://ftp.icm.edu.pl/pub/Linux/distributions/debian-cdimage/weekly-live-builds/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-testing-amd64-kde.iso and the problem is the same as in debian 10.4 stable. When I try it live, I still can't activate my wifi. I don't want to reinstall a system for the third time on my disk and not be able to activate the wifi, I will stay in debian 9 until someone publishes a tested and effective solution to this problem.

Thanks