TP-Link TF-3200 Ethernet card - device not ready?

7 replies [Last post]
mokavey

Hello fellow Trisquel users!

I have two Ethernet cards: 1) Qualcomm Atheros Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet directly on the P5K-SE motherboard and 2) Sundance Technology Inc / IC Plus Corp IC Plus IP100A Integrated 10/100 Ethernet MAC + PHY on a PCI port. I bought the second because the first had started to get buggy. However, Atheros card has been OK for half an year now. Nevertheless, I want to get the Sundance one to work in Trisquel. It works fine on Win XP so the problem isn't the card itself. On Trisquel (I'm still using 6.0) I'm getting "device not ready' message in the network panel. I thought it's due to lack of free driver but today I saw this - https://h-node.org/ethernetcards/view/en/677/Sundance-Technology-Inc---IC-Plus-Corp-IC-Plus-IP100A-Integrated-10-100-Ethernet-MAC-+-PHY--rev-31- .

Do you know where to get that "free sundance driver"? Or the devs should just remove the device from the blacklist (I've read about something like that)?

lembas

Hi!

Looks like that in Tris 6 it's baked in the default kernel as a module.

grep sund -i /boot/config-3.13.0-39-generic
CONFIG_SUNDANCE=m

Probably the same in Tris 7.

Do you have the module loaded?

lsmod|grep -i sund

If not it can be loaded with

sudo modprobe sundance

I did not see a blacklist entry in /etc/modprobe.d/

mokavey

Yes, the "CONFIG SUNDANCE" module is loaded. But there's also "CONFIG SUNDANCE MMIO" which isn't. Whey I try to load it I get "FATAL: Module sundance_mmio not found". What should I do?

lembas

That mmio thing isn't a module but just an option so that is to be expected.

You could try removing the sundance mod with

sudo modprobe -r sundance

(If it says it's in use you need to see what it's used by using the command

lsmod

and then first remove those modules. Repeat until.)

Some modules take parameters when inserted, you can find out those with

sudo modinfo sundance

those are the ones listed after "parm:".

Then you could re-insert it with e.g.

sudo modprobe sundance debug=5

I expect that to output to /var/log/syslog or perhaps even to the terminal you're using to input these commands.

mokavey

I re-inserted it. The relevant info (I guess) is in the attached file. Is that the problem: "driver 'sundance' does not support carrier detection"?

AttachmentSize
networkingmanager syslog.txt 3.01 KB
lembas

Yeah, that would seem to be the problem. I'm afraid I have no idea what to do about it.

mokavey

OK. The issue isn't critical since the other card is still working fine. Anyway, I learned few important and helpful commands. Thank you!

lembas

Good thing the other card works. You're welcome!