When will I have support for my wireless? :( RT3290

17 respuestas [Último envío]
pogiako12345
Desconectado/a
se unió: 07/11/2014

That issuse concerns Toutatis, I am currently installing 7 beta. Hopefully it resolves most issues I have with wifi and printing. I can't event print via cable :(

leny2010

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 09/15/2011

You have support with a GPL driver and possibly firmware from the manufacturer here:

http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads/rt3290-pcie/

AFAIK Linux Libre does not include firmware blobs for which there is no source even if it is legally licensed as GPL. So I suggest when you have it working get reverse engineering just like RMS said in his GNU 30th speech. :-)

pogiako12345
Desconectado/a

I just got the free driver, thanks! How do I use it now?

leny2010

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a

wireless? :( RT3290
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 19:03:01 +0200 (CEST)

> I just got the free driver, thanks! How do I use it now?

Looking at the actual code and firmware myself it's a really bad
licensing compliance mess, so don't. Get a replacement card or USB
stick from Thinkpenguin instead.

Leny

pogiako12345
Desconectado/a

-_-
So does that mean I can never use my wireless hardware?

quiliro@congresolibre.org
Desconectado/a
se unió: 10/28/2010

El 20/07/14 14:17, name at domain escribió:
> -_-
> So does that mean I can never use my wireless hardware?
>

Not in freedom unless you can reverse engineer it.

--
Saludos libres,
Quiliro Ordóñez
600 8579

pogiako12345
Desconectado/a

Mmmmm, hoepfully there's a big interest of the community on this :D I'd probably end up getting me a free software laptop :D

leny2010

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a

> So does that mean I can never use my wireless hardware?

For the time being and for someone who is self evidently not a kernel
programmer the right answer is to either replace the internal PCIe
card (if it is a laptop) or use a USB WiFi card. Both of which you
can buy from Thinkpenguin. Look on YouTube for how-to videos for
opening your model of laptop if you fancy the PCie/half height PCIe
card whichever your machine needs.

When I say it's a 'bad mess' I mean _delete_ any copy of it you have
and empty the Wastebin. The source describes itself as 'an
unpublished work', which is the term used in pre-release proprietary
source to make any industrial espionage a particularly bad bust.
AIUI typically these sort of things take months or more to sort out.
So replace it is better for having something working in a sensible
time.

pogiako12345
Desconectado/a
Legimet
Desconectado/a
se unió: 12/10/2013

Yeah, that one should work fine.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 07/24/2010

The firmware for that Wifi card is non-free. Don't hold your breath and go buy a replacing card that is supported (or a USB adapter). You can buy it at ThinkPenguin's. It is the only reseller I am aware of that guarantees that all the hardware it sells works with Linux-libre (hence any 100% free GNU/Linux distributions such as Trisquel): http://libre.thinkpenguin.com/

By using the link I gave you, 25% of the benefits on your purchase are donated to the Trisquel project. :-)

You can also search for compatible devices elsewhere but it is hard because a same model can sometimes have its chipset (what matters) change over time. However you can find second-hand devices where the seller specifies the chipset. I recently bought this USB adapter and you can hope the chipset did not change in between: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=243&model=TL-WN722N

axgb
Desconectado/a
se unió: 09/22/2013

But a lot of other hardware, even if not guarenteed to work, is compatible, and works fine.

Why would they change the chipset. They would have to completely redesign it, and that would cost a lot of money.
And anyway, you can always return it.

Chris

I am a member!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 04/23/2011

Chipsets have what I'd refer to as a life span. The other reason they change chipsets is because of costs. Companies find ways to cut corners and a newer chipset that is basically identical can be cheaper to produce. It may be the same company that they used before, but a newer chipset, or a different company (when it's usually most problematic). In either case though it can be problematic. Do you want to wait a year before your adapters gets support to use it? Or would you prefer to buy something that works out of the box?

ricsatjr
Desconectado/a
se unió: 10/21/2014

Dear everyone,

I recently migrated my office-issued, Windows8-installed HP Envy from Lubuntu (ditched the pre-insalled Windows immediately) to Trisquel-Belenos. The laptop has RT3290 in it, and now I cannot have the wireless function.

In the context of the Philippines (and most likely any other third world country), hardware isn't that much of a choice we make, mainly because of cost, as well as limited options. The proposed solution of getting an external wifi adapter is not a practical solution in my context.

I would really like to continue using Trisquel/GNU-linux, and I also need to use the wireless function. Any non-hardware-based solution would be greatly appreciated. I am more of an end-user, rather than a coding-savvy person, so please be easy on me.

Cheers to your endeavors!

Ric

ricsatjr
Desconectado/a

By the way, I also installed Trisquel in an older MSI laptop with an Atheros wifi card. The wireless connection works. Although, this is not my primary laptop. Aside from the connection issue, I am quite satisfied with Trisquel. Great work, guys and gals!

Ric

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado/a
se unió: 07/24/2010

Getting a wifi adapter is the only solution that respects your freedom. Try to see with Chris if ThinkPenguin (his company) ships to the Philippines. I believe
it does. Here is his email: name at domain

Here is a Wifi adapter that would solve your problem (and will solve the same problem for your next laptops!):
https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-wireless-g-usb-adapter

Notice that by buying it through http://libre.thinkpenguin.com (the word "libre" in the URL makes the difference), 25% of the benefits on your purchase will be donated to the Trisquel project.

Nobody here would help you to install proprietary firmware: https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/trisquel-community-guidelines

Jabjabs
Desconectado/a
se unió: 07/05/2014

There is the added advantage of having using that USB Wifi adaptor in that you can make your system go dark to the network merely by pulling it out at any time.

I have yet to have a system with Wifi that works with Trisquel (this is a really big issue in the Libre community) but those adaptors work like a charm.

ricsatjr
Desconectado/a

Thanks jabjabs. At least I know that WIFI is a major issue.