Abrowser 72.0.1 won't load after update.

17 réponses [Dernière contribution]
grimlok
A rejoint: 04/16/2013

I did the system update, which included Abrowser 72.0.1, and now Abrowser doesn't load.

When running from a command line it says:

<_io.TextIOWrapper name='' mode='w' encoding='UTF-8'>
BrokenPipeError: [Errno 32] Broken pipe

Any help would be great. I really need my browser.

I made a bug report as well under the issue tracker.

Thanks,
grimlok

cuculus
A rejoint: 11/29/2017

I am also having this same problem.

liberpoolesque
A rejoint: 01/07/2020

I've just used Abrowser 72 on a fresh Trisquel 8 install and an old one, on different machines, but it worked both times.
Did you try to delete Abrowser's config and cache files, to check if some old plugin or setting is the problem?
Alternatively, does Midori (the default browser on Trisquel Mini) work for you? (After installing, if necessary)

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

A rejoint: 07/07/2017

I just upgraded and experienced the same issue. Since liberpoolesque reported that Abrowser 72 works with a fresh install of Trisquel, I suspected that there has been some non-backward-incompatible change in Firefox making older profiles invalid. I ran

$ mv .mozilla/abrowser .mozilla/abrowser~

so that Abrowser would not be able to find my profile, after which Abrowser started normally, creating a new default .mozilla/abrowser.

Unfortunately this loses all user bookmarks, history, settings, etc. It should be possible to copy any important data from .mozilla/abrowser~ to .mozilla/abrowser, but it would be preferable to know exactly what about the older profiles is cause the issue so that we can just fix that. I'll look into this more later today.

cuculus
A rejoint: 11/29/2017

Thanks for this quick fix. It worked for me as well.

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

I found that it was the "network.captive-portal-service.enabled" setting
that cause the segfault for me. Editing ~/.mozilla/abrowser/user.js (if
you don't have user.js, edit prefs.js instead) and changing this setting
from 'true' to 'false' fixed the issue for me.

quidam was unable to replicate this issue by setting that value to
'true', so it seems that it is not this setting alone that causes the
problem, but rather a combination of this setting and at least one
other. However, until we uncover the real problem, setting
network.captive-portal-service.enabled to 'false' may be the best
temporary workaround for users experiencing this issue.

strypey
A rejoint: 05/14/2015

My ~/.mozilla/abrowser/ folder doesn't contain user.js or prefs.js. Only installs.ini, profiles.ini, and rwjebu0c.default.

I'm currently on Trisquel 8.0. If I wasn't on the road, I would seriously consider switching to 9.0 repos and running a system update/ upgrade, to see if that would fix it.

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

> My ~/.mozilla/abrowser/ folder doesn't contain user.js or prefs.js. Only installs.ini, profiles.ini, and rwjebu0c.default.

Sorry, there was an error in my post. `~/.mozilla/abrowser/` contains all of your Abrowser profiles, which are directories of the form `$RANDOMSTRING.$PROFILENAME`. Each profile has contains its own `prefs.js` (and optionally `user.js`). In your case, the only profile is `rwjebu0c.default`, so look for `prefs.js` there.

> I'm currently on Trisquel 8.0. If I wasn't on the road, I would seriously consider switching to 9.0 repos and running a system update/ upgrade, to see if that would fix it.

Trisquel 8 and Trisquel 9 have the same version of Abrowser, so upgrading will not fix this particular issue.

strypey

Thanks Chaosmonk, this work around worked for me too. Abrowser is back up and running again. But does having that value set to "false" mean that I won't be able to use free WiFi that relies on a connection portal instead of a WiFi password? That would be a real pain if and when I return to China.

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

> But does having that value set to "false" mean that I won't be able to
> use free WiFi that relies on a connection portal instead of a WiFi
> password?

Yes, that's what it means.

commodore256
A rejoint: 01/10/2013

Kinda off-topic, but what do people here think about pale moon? It's a fork of firefox esr, but they plan on keeping the javascript implementation up to date, but not support web rtc. Is there freedom concerns? If so, is there a GNUified version? It feels pretty fast on my T400. I didn't like the build of midori or abrowser bundled with the Trisquel 9 testing branch. Again, I hope there aren't any freedom concerns, though they do have some nice addons that are firefox esr compatible with the addons at least having freedom respecting licenses.

calher

I am a member!

A rejoint: 06/19/2015

Proprietary.

commodore256
A rejoint: 01/10/2013

I thought it was MPL2?

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

A rejoint: 07/24/2010
strypey

I tried to access https://www.palemoon.org using both IceCat and Abrowser, both gave me this error:

>> Secure Connection Failed

>> An error occurred during a connection to www.palemoon.org. Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).

>> Error code: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP

calher

I am a member!

A rejoint: 06/19/2015

Palemoon is proprietary.

strypey

MagicBanana:
> See https://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml

Calher:
> Palemoon is proprietary.

IMHO this interpretation confuses copyright and trademark issues. I have started a separate thread to discuss this in the general-free-software-talk forum:
https://trisquel.info/en/forum/do-trademark-restrictions-make-software-non-free

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

A rejoint: 07/24/2010