Libreboot 20160818

19 réponses [Dernière contribution]
knacky
A rejoint: 04/06/2016

A new stable version of Libreboot has been released today!

https://libreboot.org/download/

Although none of the mirrors seem to have it yet.

Gnu
Gnu
A rejoint: 03/08/2012

It will be necessary to prepare the ROM with the own MAC address or just use the flash script to update the BIOS?

Anyway these news sounds very good for me:

256MiB VRAM allocated on GM45 (X200, T400, T500, R400) instead of 32MiB. This is an improvement over both Lenovo BIOS and Libreboot 20150518, allowing video decoding at 1080p to be smoother. (thanks Arthur Heymans) To clarify, GM45 video performance in libreboot 20160818 is better than on the original BIOS and the previous libreboot release.

Massively improved GRUB configuration, making it easier to boot more encrypted systems automatically, and generally a more useful menu for booting the system (thanks go to Klemens Nanni of the autoboot project). Libreboot now uses the grub.cfg provided by the installed GNU/Linux distribution automatically, if present, switching to that configuration. This is done across many partitions, where libreboot actively searches for a configuration file (also on LVM volumes and encrypted volumes). This should make libreboot more easy to use for non-technical users, without having to modify the GRUB configuration used in libreboot.

vita_cell
A rejoint: 07/19/2015

I always flashed ROMs with default MAC address.

Gnu
Gnu
jxself
A rejoint: 09/13/2010

This is not a good idea people. Two libreboot people doing that meet up, use the same network, and get their network interfaces shutdown because duplicate MAC addresses were found on the network. Think it's not likely? Imagine the FSF's yearly Libreplanet conference just as an example. Or someone stockpiling computers and flashing them all. You should really use the MAC address that came with your computer.

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

A rejoint: 10/31/2014
jxself

"Since it is a unique identifier, it can be used to track you while on the internet"

This seems a little hyperbolical. A website you are accessing on the internet (like, say, fsf.org) has no access to your MAC address. The place you're connecting to from would be able to know it so a better way to say it might be that "Since it is a unique identifier, network access points can track you from one the other." This is the case as long as you're connected to the access point, regardless of whether or not you are actually making use of the internet. But anyway, you seem to be missing my point. I was responding to vita_cell's "I always flashed ROMs with default MAC address." This is a bad practice. Plain and simple. Even that website doesn't advocate for everyone to adopt the same MAC address. Because if everyone used the same MAC address no one could do anything. So don't use the default MAC address in libreboot, okay? Make up something random if you want in the name of privacy or security or whatever -- but that is beyond the scope of the point I was making.

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

> A website you are accessing on the internet (like, say, fsf.org) has no access to your MAC address. The place you're connecting to from would be able to know it so a better way to say it might be that "Since it is a unique identifier, network access points can track you from one the other." This is the case as long as you're connected to the access point, regardless of whether or not you are actually making use of the internet. But anyway, you seem to be missing my point.

That's correct. You only have to concern yourself with your MAC address if you do not wish the local network administrator to be able to identify you. MAC addresses do not cross router boundaries, so anything outside of your LAN will never see it.
I was just providing a link to macchanger, that would have prevented what you described previously: "Two libreboot people doing that meet up, use the same network, and get their network interfaces shutdown because duplicate MAC addresses were found on the network."

jxself

"I was just providing a link to macchanger, that would have prevented what you described previously"

So would following the instructions on the libreboot website and not just going with the built-in MAC address. :)

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

> So would following the instructions on the libreboot website and not just going with the built-in MAC address. :)

Hehe, sure, but I was more thinking of the situation where one already made the mistake of flashing it with the built in one.
Jxself santo subito :P

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

A rejoint: 07/24/2010

Trisquel 8, thanks to NetworkManager 1.2, will bring a much better solution: https://blogs.gnome.org/lkundrak/2016/01/18/networkmanger-and-tracking-protection-in-wi-fi-networks/

kyamashita (non vérifié)
kyamashita

This sounds great! I can't wait to flash it on my GuixSD machine! Congrats to the Libreboot team! :-D

doolio
A rejoint: 12/31/2013

Can you give details of your GuixSD machine? Are you using it as the sole OS? Thanks.

Gnu
Gnu

I can't update, flashrom binary not present... ??

sudo ./flash update ~/libreboot_r20160818_grub_x200_8mb/x200_8mb_esqwerty_vesafb.rom

##########################
Mode selected: update
flashrom binary not present
##########################

commodore256
A rejoint: 01/10/2013

Will Libreboot ever support a board that supports a CPU with more IPC than a Core 2 Duo/Pre-Zen AMD?

vita_cell
A rejoint: 07/19/2015

No, CPUs with more IPC are "i" series, and have microcode (backd00r, powerful rootkit) built-in, no one can remove it, only Intel.

lilos
A rejoint: 09/04/2015

On asus kfsn4-dre there is long delay before it boot.
In coreboot there is no such bug still don`t understend why this is not fixed yet in libreboot.

Ignacio.Agullo
A rejoint: 09/29/2009

New version! "The latest stable release is 20160902, released on 2016-09-02"

https://libreboot.org/download/

megurineturilli
A rejoint: 01/10/2012

I upgraded to the newest libreboot release and this really improves the performance of 3D applications such as Blender.

Gnu
Gnu

my sputnik r20160902 version:

./ich9gen --macaddress MY:MA:CX:AD:DR:SX
./cbfstool ~/x200.rom remove background.jpg -n background.jpg
./cbfstool ~/x200.rom add -f background.jpg -n background.jpg -t raw

libreboot.jpg